Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference isnt as big as VCR to DVD, I have a few blu-ray movies, but I'm not blown away to where I'm going to replace my DVD's to the new Hi-def DVD's. I thought I would, but my regular DVD's have a great picture.

Transformers in HD-DVD is enough to want me to get all my movies in HD. It's not just the clarity of the picture, the colors just look better. And there's nothing like actually having the special features in HD.

The difference isnt as big as VCR to DVD, I have a few blu-ray movies, but I'm not blown away to where I'm going to replace my DVD's to the new Hi-def DVD's. I thought I would, but my regular DVD's have a great picture.

It might depend on your set up and what movies you are watching but there is no comparision for me.

Wait until you watch a lot of Hi Def and then try go back to regular DVD. You will really notice the difference then. DVD's will look soft and grainy with washed out colors.

:monkey2 I know how you feel, I'm watching Ghost Rider on BD right now and it looks so beautiful it makes me sick. I'm gonna take a sledgehammer to my PS3 tonight, just 'cause that pimplefaced moron said HD-DVD was better. :lol

Hell yeah dude. Ghost Rider is next for me in BR. I've been so busy playing Halo I haven't had time to watch it yet. Speaking of Halo.......................................

Wait until you watch a lot of Hi Def and then try go back to regular DVD. You will really notice the difference then. DVD's will look soft and grainy with washed out colors.

That was true for me--the first time I went back to watch a regular DVD after getting used to high def, I really noticed the difference.

little off topic, but does anyone know of a universal remote that can control 360, PS3, tvs, surround sound systems???? logitech seems like they would but they dont specifically say PS3.

little off topic, but does anyone know of a universal remote that can control 360, PS3, tvs, surround sound systems???? logitech seems like they would but they dont specifically say PS3.
I would think that the Harmony would be your best bet to control everything, that's what I plan on getting.

EDIT: I just read up about it, since the PS3 is bluetooth and doesn't have IR or RF signal support, the Harmony won't work. :(

And I wish the Xbox remote worked correctly, it says that you're supposed to be able to use it like a universal remote but it's never worked on any TV's I've tried.

(And I really wish the volume control on it worked on the Xbox).

And I wish the Xbox remote worked correctly, it says that you're supposed to be able to use it like a universal remote but it's never worked on any TV's I've tried.

(And I really wish the volume control on it worked on the Xbox).

mine works fine with my tv's. programmed it for my old panasonic, and just got it working for my new samsung.

Anyone think that in five years Blue Ray will be the modern "laser disc"?

Not at all. I really don't see a winner in this war as it seems to be close to a 50/50 split right now. Many of us are supporting both formats and I'm sure we're not alone. It'll be interesting when the next major franchise (likely LOTR) is announced. If it's exclusive to one format, it could be a big pendulum swing for that format. I still think SW is at least a couple years away as good ol' George wants to tweak the PT before it's next release :eek:

I'm pretty sure that at this point we'd be getting LOTR, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones all in both formats. It just makes no sense not to since they'd make more money that way. I just hope that when they do them they've got lots of content.

However, if any of those were exclusive to Blu-Ray, then I would buy a PS3.

I'm pretty sure that at this point we'd be getting LOTR, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones all in both formats. It just makes no sense not to since they'd make more money that way. I just hope that when they do them they've got lots of content.

However, if any of those were exclusive to Blu-Ray, then I would buy a PS3.

absolutely. and you know uncle george is all about the double-dipping. here's a question for you audiophiles. i have the 360 elite... soon a PS3. my receiver only has one digital toslink input. but my tv has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 digital toslink output. if i hook up the 360 and PS3 through HDMI can i run the sound through the tv by the digital toslink output into the one input on my receiver???

...here's a question for you audiophiles. i have the 360 elite... soon a PS3. my receiver only has one digital toslink input. but my tv has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 digital toslink output. if i hook up the 360 and PS3 through HDMI can i run the sound through the tv by the digital toslink output into the one input on my receiver???
That's how I have mine set up, I have everything running into the TV and one Optical Cable from the TV to my Reciever, works perfectly.

That's how I have mine set up, I have everything running into the TV and one Optical Cable from the TV to my Reciever, works perfectly.

thank you sir!!! i hope the way i worded it wasn't too confusing. im gonna try re-wiring everything tomorrow.
~edit... just tried it with mine and it doesn't work. hmm... this sucks.

Last edited:

So routing though a TV has no effect on signal or quality, etc? I have enough inputs on my receiver so it's not a problem but it would make life a little simpler if everthing went into the TV first.

So routing though a TV has no effect on signal or quality, etc? I have enough inputs on my receiver so it's not a problem but it would make life a little simpler if everthing went into the TV first.
It sounds good to me and love that everthing is routed thru the TV and have one cable (optical) going to the receiver.

is the 360 HDMI video only??? because i tried switching the cables up last night and it didn't work. i tried just having the HDMI cable plugged into the tv and the optical output going to the receiver. no sound... but once i plugged the optical back into the 360 going to the receiver the sound came back on.
~~its alright though... to be honest my system's getting kind of old. so now i feel its time to upgrade anyways... new HD tv check, 360 with HDMI check, PS3 with HDMI soon...... so i guess its time to get the new receiver. im cheap and simple so i'm just gonna look for a good home theater in a box. here's what i like so far, let me know what you guys think:
https://reviews.cnet.com/home-theat...-home/4505-6740_7-32421727.html?tag=pdtl-list

is the 360 HDMI video only??? because i tried switching the cables up last night and it didn't work. i tried just having the HDMI cable plugged into the tv and the optical output going to the receiver. no sound... but once i plugged the optical back into the 360 going to the receiver the sound came back on.
~~its alright though... to be honest my system's getting kind of old. so now i feel its time to upgrade anyways... new HD tv check, 360 with HDMI check, PS3 with HDMI soon...... so i guess its time to get the new receiver. im cheap and simple so i'm just gonna look for a good home theater in a box. here's what i like so far, let me know what you guys think:
https://reviews.cnet.com/home-theat...-home/4505-6740_7-32421727.html?tag=pdtl-list

Nope, it's not Video only, I have it connected with HDMI to my monitor with my speakers then connected to that and the audio is working fine.

Back