Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must all buy Blade Runner, right now.

Seriously, it looks great, and it's got an awesome amount of special featrures.

Updates are also required on the Blu Ray players though too, maybe not for the HP movies but in general they need to be kept updated as well.

My PS3 is connected to the internet but I didn't bother with the HD player. I ended up downloading an image file from Toshiba and burning a disc to do the update. And no it doesn't say update needed, it just says the disc is the wrong format for the player. The HP discs came with a little note saying that they probably wouldn't play and you'd need an update. I probably would have figured it out, but thanks to the note I knew immediately what I had to do.

I have the HD Blade Runner set coming from Amazon - hopefully it will be here today.

PS3 Firmware v2.10 is Ready for Download

"PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment has released the latest firmware upgrade for the PS3, bringing the video game device up to version 2.10. This update allows the PS3 to playback Blu-ray Profile v1.1 content, which includes picture-in-picture features. Movies featuring PIP content are expected on store shelves within the next few weeks, so make sure you update your PS3 so you don't miss out on any of the content."

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=762

PS3 Firmware v2.10 is Ready for Download

"PlayStation 3 Sony Computer Entertainment has released the latest firmware upgrade for the PS3, bringing the video game device up to version 2.10. This update allows the PS3 to playback Blu-ray Profile v1.1 content, which includes picture-in-picture features. Movies featuring PIP content are expected on store shelves within the next few weeks, so make sure you update your PS3 so you don't miss out on any of the content."

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=762
:rock :rock :rock

i bought my dad an hd dvd player for christmas and i used it for 2 weeks before Christmas....to update/test it. :D well last night i watched a dvd on my progressive scan dvd player and it looks like garbage now. i wasn't really blown away by the hd dvd player while i was using it, i don't have a 1080p t.v. yet only 1080i, but now after going back to dvd i see the big difference. :monkey2

i bought my dad an hd dvd player for christmas and i used it for 2 weeks before Christmas....to update/test it. :D well last night i watched a dvd on my progressive scan dvd player and it looks like garbage now. i wasn't really blow away by the hd dvd player, i don't have a 1080p t.v. yet only 1080i, but now after going back to dvd i see the big difference. :monkey2

I've spoiled my Dad. He hates going back home and watching standard DVD's after seeing stuff in HD and BR at my place. He's getting ready to one up me by getting a 52" Sony and at least an HD player so he can get Transformers.

I've spoiled my Dad. He hates going back home and watching standard DVD's after seeing stuff in HD and BR at my place. He's getting ready to one up me by getting a 52" Sony and at least an HD player so he can get Transformers.

my dad does the same thing to me. i get a newer t.v., he gets a better one, etc. if i didn't have a wedding to pay for i would be getting a Samsung 1080p tv and hd player next month! oh well, such is life.

my dad does the same thing to me. i get a newer t.v., he gets a better one, etc. if i didn't have a wedding to pay for i would be getting a Samsung 1080p tv and hd player next month! oh well, such is life.

I'm buying a 46" Samsung in the next couple weeks :eek:

I'm watching LOST in BR right now and it is beautiful. One of the better transfers I've seen.

i bought my dad an hd dvd player for christmas and i used it for 2 weeks before Christmas....to update/test it. :D well last night i watched a dvd on my progressive scan dvd player and it looks like garbage now. i wasn't really blown away by the hd dvd player while i was using it, i don't have a 1080p t.v. yet only 1080i, but now after going back to dvd i see the big difference. :monkey2

I had the same experience. I thought that the high def discs looked nice and all, but I really didn't feel the difference profoundly until I put in my first regular DVD after several months of HD, and it looked like a VHS tape.

I had the same experience. I thought that the high def discs looked nice and all, but I really didn't feel the difference profoundly until I put in my first regular DVD after several months of HD, and it looked like a VHS tape.

that's exactly how i explained it to my dad, my regular dvd player looks like a vhs tape now. damn ignorance was bliss.

I'm buying a 46" Samsung in the next couple weeks :eek:

I'm watching LOST in BR right now and it is beautiful. One of the better transfers I've seen.

I bought a 46" Samsung a few weeks ago. It's absolutely beautiful....and I bought an HD-DVD player by the way, to comment on the HD VS. Blu Ray theme of the thread. The Toshiba AV30, and it's incredible.

As far as the updates some were talking about, can you connect wirelessly if you have a wireless network? Can I just buy a regular wireless connect point and plug it into my HD player, or do I need something special and akin to the HD DVD player?

Amazon has some great movies BOGO for HD right now (first 4 HP movies, Hot Fuzz, Knocked Up, to name a few)

Also has the 10 free movies with purchase of an HD player deal again.

will they do it? i did the same thing when I bought the one for my dad.

I've never done it myself, but I've heard many stories about their 30 day price guarantee (they match anyone else's price or will even match their own if the price drops)

I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Back