Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG i just got planet earth on blu ray and its so freaking amazing....i've seen the dvd before, but not the HD version. i got it for my GF for christmas and it just arrived today.....now it will slowly become mine.

I need a bigger TV :monkey2

All HD/Blu-Ray movies look exactly like their upconverted standard counterparts on my 37" and 42" sets :monkey2

I need a bigger TV :monkey2

All HD/Blu-Ray movies look exactly like their upconverted standard counterparts on my 37" and 42" sets :monkey2

Not saying you are wrong, but I still don't see how people can't notice a difference even on a smaller screen. I have a 32" LCD and the difference is noticeable to me and even my parents saw the difference when I brought it to their house. HD or Blu Ray through component or HDMI has so much better resolution, sharpness and color than a standard upconverted DVD even on a 32" screen.

Not saying you are wrong, but I still don't see how people can't notice a difference even on a smaller screen. I have a 32" LCD and the difference is noticeable to me and even my parents saw the difference when I brought it to their house. HD or Blu Ray through component or HDMI has so much better resolution, sharpness and color than a standard upconverted DVD even on a 32" screen.

I've compared two titles directly, POTC2 and Halloween on Blu-Ray and I can say that neither I, nor anybody else in the room, could tell the difference in picture quality. I also have Spider-Man 3 on Blu-Ray, but I don't have the standard DVD to compare with.

After doing some googling, I found I'm not alone in this opinion. Apparently the "wow factor" varies from movie to movie, even on larger screens. I can totally understand that explanation.

Anyone care to recommend some movies in Bullseye's link to help convince me of the promise of Blu-Ray? According to the AVS forum, Corpse Bride is a good start. Are there any others to help illustrate Blu-Ray's "wow-factor?" Anyone think the "wow-factor" variance theory a load of rubbish?

OMG i just got planet earth on blu ray and its so freaking amazing....i've seen the dvd before, but not the HD version. i got it for my GF for christmas and it just arrived today.....now it will slowly become mine.
I got this for the wife too, when I watched it I was in awe at how beautiful it was. I somehow neglected to tell her that it was hers though. :D

Planet Earth in high def is amazing. I have it and watched it with my kids and it's something the whole family can see together that doesn't leave you feeling like an idiot afterwards.

Anyone care to recommend some movies in Bullseye's link to help convince me of the promise of Blu-Ray? According to the AVS forum, Corpse Bride is a good start. Are there any others to help illustrate Blu-Ray's "wow-factor?" Anyone think the "wow-factor" variance theory a load of rubbish?

POTC2 was very well reviewed and is one of the top "reference titles" as far as Blu-ray picture quality goes, and if you've already seen it and were not impressed then there won't be very many other titles that are going to knock your socks off. I think that the difference is not going to be as obvious on screens/displays that are smaller than 50" or so.

I personally find Corpse Bride to be one of the best looking titles out there (I have the HD DVD version), along with Cars/Ratatouille, Open Season, and almost any other CGI movie. From Amazon's current BOGO list, I would say that Kingdom of Heaven, Troy: Director's Cut, Live Free or Die Hard, Fantastic Four: ROTSS, Mr. Brooks, or Harry Potter 4 would be good looking discs that should be noticably superior to their standard def counterparts.

What is the spec on your TV? Because there is NO WAY that you could not tell the difference between hi-def Blu Ray and standard DVD. Try Cars and Ratatouille. Also try Apocalypto.

I've compared two titles directly, POTC2 and Halloween on Blu-Ray and I can say that neither I, nor anybody else in the room, could tell the difference in picture quality. I also have Spider-Man 3 on Blu-Ray, but I don't have the standard DVD to compare with.

After doing some googling, I found I'm not alone in this opinion. Apparently the "wow factor" varies from movie to movie, even on larger screens. I can totally understand that explanation.

Kabukiman, I actually have to agree with you. I have a 65" DLP 1080p tv, and I certainly don't see the "wow" factor either. The difference between upconverted DVD's to 1080p and blue ray 1080p discs is there but it certainly doesn't blow my socks off like when i went from VHS to DVD. I certainly can see the evolution of the format but it just isn't as impressive as I thought it would be. I just watched the POTC trilogy on blue ray over the holidays, and I watched season 4 of 24 on upconverted dvds. Going back and forth didn't make me miss the blue ray picture quality. I had a few friends over last night ,who also have blue ray players, and we chatted about it before going out last night. We all agreed that the picture quality was indeed better but it just wasn't as impressive as we all thought it would be. I think everyone's expectations are different and what they perceive is different. I think for videophiles it is a big difference because you are looking for all of those extra details. However, for the rest of us, it just doesn't wow us.

Happy New Year

Kabukiman, I actually have to agree with you. I have a 65" DLP 1080p tv, and I certainly don't see the "wow" factor either. The difference between upconverted DVD's to 1080p and blue ray 1080p discs is there but it certainly doesn't blow my socks off like when i went from VHS to DVD. I certainly can see the evolution of the format but it just isn't as impressive as I thought it would be. I just watched the POTC trilogy on blue ray over the holidays, and I watched season 4 of 24 on upconverted dvds. Going back and forth didn't make me miss the blue ray picture quality. I had a few friends over last night ,who also have blue ray players, and we chatted about it before going out last night. We all agreed that the picture quality was indeed better but it just wasn't as impressive as we all thought it would be. I think everyone's expectations are different and what they perceive is different. I think for videophiles it is a big difference because you are looking for all of those extra details. However, for the rest of us, it just doesn't wow us.

Happy New Year

I agree. Hi Def is nicer but it isn't a huge leap visually in my opinion. Upconverted Dvds look just about the same to me as a Blu Ray movie.

Get your eyes tested lol:D

HAHa I just did. Seriously though, hi-def is nice and I can visually see the difference but it certainly isn't that impressive. This is coming from a person who owns both formats. Every one I know who has seen both my setup and the set up in the stores agrees, it just isn't all it's made out to be.

Sony and the rest are touting these new formats as the next greatest thing but to me it just feels like the consumer could have gotten more. Everyone is expecting to be wowed like the switch from VHS to DVD but that just isn't the case. At this point I am not really surprised that Hi Def hasn't really taken off. Not only do consumers have to deal with two competing formats, they also have to buy tons of new equipment and for what, slightly better resolution? :lol

HAHa I just did. Seriously though, hi-def is nice and I can visually see the difference but it certainly isn't that impressive. This is coming from a person who owns both formats. Every one I know who has seen both my setup and the set up in the stores agrees, it just isn't all it's made out to be.

Sony and the rest are touting these new formats as the next greatest thing but to me it just feels like the consumer could have gotten more. Everyone is expecting to be wowed like the switch from VHS to DVD but that just isn't the case. At this point I am not really surprised that Hi Def hasn't really taken off. Not only do consumers have to deal with two competing formats, they also have to buy tons of new equipment and for what, slightly better resolution? :lol

Five times better. :D and your forgetting the audio which is alot better. Get your ears checked next :rotfl

I'll jump into the the "not a huge improvement" camp. I watched the blu-ray Rattatouile and then the upconvert Cars, and while Rat had excellent depth and clarity and looked great, I didn't really notice that much difference in picture quality. I have a 61" 1080p JVC with straight HDMI through-put.

I'll jump into the the "not a huge improvement" camp. I watched the blu-ray Rattatouile and then the upconvert Cars, and while Rat had excellent depth and clarity and looked great, I didn't really notice that much difference in picture quality. I have a 61" 1080p JVC with straight HDMI through-put.

Try watching Cars in hi-def instead of comparing different movies.

I am always stunned when people say they don't see a big difference in HD DVD/Blu Ray and regular DVD's. IMO the difference is VERY easy to see, but that's just me I guess.

I will say some older movies converted to HD are not THAT much more impressvie than their regular DVD counterparts, but just about anything made in the last few years is leaps and bounds over regular DVD.

I am always stunned when people say they don't see a big difference in HD DVD/Blu Ray and regular DVD's. IMO the difference is VERY easy to see, but that's just me I guess.

I will say some older movies converted to HD are not THAT much more impressvie than their regular DVD counterparts, but just about anything made in the last few years is leaps and bounds over regular DVD.

:lecture :lecture

exactly how i feel.

Back