Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what really bothers me about companies, it's not about what is right for the consumer it's all about what is right for their bottom line. Most businesses are completely unethical. Take Coke for example, originally it was made with cocaine as a primary ingredient and the only reason it was changed is because they were forced to change it. It still hasn't gotten better, Coke is the leading cause of obesity and other major health problems. Why is the stuff still being made....because it fills some fat cats pocket with money. Other things as well, like cigarettes which cause cancer and are extremely addictive. Guess what guys, they can be made without nicotine -the active ingredient that causes the addiction but they choose not to so that slaves to the drug continue to buy. We are mere pawns to these big companies.

Now some may say I am jumping to extremes and being irrational here but this situation is exactly the same, it all boils down to the consumer not being able to make the decision because the companies have already made it for them. "We are offering more selection by going exclusively blu ray....Blu Ray is better for you so take it!!! :monkey4

Last edited:
of course sony threw them money directly or indirectly. it doesn't make sense why they would limit their offerings now....it may when/if bluray is the only format left though. looks like it will be dvd for me for a while, although i upgraded my t.v. and the dvd's look better than they did before so i'm content.

If they said they made the decision because of consumer confusion, for example, I would be OK with that. But saying that removing the HD DVD exclusive studios from Netflix offers better selection is bizarre. They are trying to say that not allowing us to rent all of the movies we want = better customer service.

That's what really bothers me about companies, it's not about what is right for the consumer it's all about what is right for their bottom line. Most businesses are completely unethical. Take Coke for example, originally it was made with cocaine as a primary ingredient and the only reason it was changed is because they were forced to change it. It still hasn't gotten better, Coke is the leading cause of obesity and other major health problems. Why is the stuff still being made....because it fills some fat cats pocket with money. Other things as well, like cigarettes which cause cancer and are extremely addictive. Guess what guys, they can be made without nicotine -the active ingredient that causes the addiction but they choose not to so that slaves to the drug continue to buy. We are mere pawns to these big companies.

Now some may say I am jumping to extremes and being irrational here but this situation is exactly the same, it all boils down to the consumer not being able to make the decision because the companies have already made it for them. "We are offering more selection by going exclusively blu ray....Blu Ray is better for you so take it!!! :monkey4

That's what pisses me off too, It totally takes us out of the decision and makes it clearly about who can toss around the most cash to make our choice for us. :moon

Pretty jacked up, even if that is the way things have been in America since the 1800's. :rolleyes:

Its all about money. In every aspect of human existence, they bigger wallet always wins. I just wish HD DVD would officially concede so we can all just move on. For them to refuse to admit defeat only worsens the situation.

Sony wins because they have more money.

Toshiba refuses defeat in hopes to squeeze any last drop out of the confused consumer.

$$$$$$ rules at the end of every thing. Consumer loses out and fat cat gets fatter.

AMEN!!! Brotha!!!! The biggest company being USA.inc:monkey4:monkey4

My God, some of you are truly turning into conspiracy nuts ... and that's saying a lot coming from me :lol. Sony DID not pay off Netflix. I might believe they would do that for the studio support, but not rental. Don't get me wrong, it's a dagger to the heart of HD-DVD, but it's not some nefarious scheme by Sony. It smart business on the part of Netflix. The majority of studios are Blu-Ray. Best Buy and the major electronics stores have gone on record as stating they are advertising Blu Ray over HD-DVD. The writing is on the wall. Why should Netflix invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into new HD-DVD purchases if they truly believe the format is dying? It makes absolutely no business sense. They aren't trying to manipulate customers. The are simply trying to maximize profits. If they had done this a year ago, it wouldn't have made sense. But, after Warner turned Blu, it was a simple business decision.

My God, some of you are truly turning into conspiracy nuts ... and that's saying a lot coming from me :lol. Sony DID not pay off Netflix. I might believe they would do that for the studio support, but not rental. Don't get me wrong, it's a dagger to the heart of HD-DVD, but it's not some nefarious scheme by Sony. It smart business on the part of Netflix. The majority of studios are Blu-Ray. Best Buy and the major electronics stores have gone on record as stating they are advertising Blu Ray over HD-DVD. The writing is on the wall. Why should Netflix invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into new HD-DVD purchases if they truly believe the format is dying? It makes absolutely no business sense. They aren't trying to manipulate customers. The are simply trying to maximize profits. If they had done this a year ago, it wouldn't have made sense. But, after Warner turned Blu, it was a simple business decision.
BTW, I wholly agree with what you're saying and not just because I support the Devil. :D

I do agree, but I would just like Netflix to be honest and say that they are doing it for logistical or financial reasons, and not tell us that this decision was made in order to "offer the best selection" to their customers. At this point, there are still a significant number of high def titles that they won't be making available to their customers because of this decision, so I can see why some people are irritated. Beowulf comes out in a few weeks, and Netflix users won't be able to rent it in high def.

I have never used Netflix, so it really doesn't impact me one way or the other. But I always get irritated when companies make financial decisions and try to convince me that the choice was made in my best interests rather than their own.

All of this Blu-ray support is meant to end the war, plain and simple. That's when the real profits will start rolling in, and not before. If I get $2,000 a week from selling chocolate ice cream and $1,000 a week selling vanilla, and I decide to stop selling vanilla, then the short term result is that I lose all of my vanilla customers--and the money they were spending. I am out $1,000 a week for several months. But if I then go on to corner the chocolate market and start a chocolate only franchise, the $100,000 a week in chocolate sales a year or two from now will convince me that I made the right decision in the long run.

Hey, I am just stating the obvious here... It was hard enough to dump $120 into a HD DVD player... No freakin way I can dump $600 into a PS3. Guess it's back to standard DVD.

At least it is finally decided, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Just got a BR player for under $300 shipped on the bay. Deals are out there but you need to be patient.

HTPC anyone? Just because it is a pc drive doesn't mean you watch it in front of your computer screen. Welcome to the 21st century, aint it cool! :lol

Back