Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One things is for sure, whether or not you believe NEtflix was paid off to drop HD DVD and pick up Blu Ray exclusively, the decision was not done with the consumers best interest in mind. At the end of the day all you Sony Blu Ray nuts did not choose the format, companies and their big money offers chose it for you. I don't appreciate being lied to by companies I am supposed to trust. Do they all think we are morons?! I mean as another example, how insulting was the way they made the ebay fee increases sound like fee decreases?

HELLO CORPORATE AMERICA and the rest of the ****TY CORPORATE WORLD!! I AM A COLLEGE GRADUATE AND I KNOW HOW TO READ AND COMPREHEND WHAT'S GOING ON!!!!!

I don't need your bull**** propaganda machines to feed me lines that they train managers to give. I am tired of policies like firing people on Fridays and money owning this world. BIG BARF!

I sit in front of my Acer 22" widescreen monitor with its 1680 x 1050 resolution and watch movies all the time.

Why? Do you sit at a desk or do you have it on a stand by a sofa or something? I just can't see sitting at a desk for 2 hours watching a movie even if it's a semi comfy chair. I'd rather be ing my recliner watching on my 65" or in bed watching he 37" then sitting at a desk watching a small 22" screen. I just don't get why anyone would do that.

Why? Do you sit at a desk or do you have it on a stand by a sofa or something? I just can't see sitting at a desk for 2 hours watching a movie even if it's a semi comfy chair. I'd rather be ing my recliner watching on my 65" or in bed watching he 37" then sitting at a desk watching a small 22" screen. I just don't get why anyone would do that.

I've got a 27.5" 1080p monitor with my PC and my Xbox hooked up and I watch movies all the time on it. It works fine, but I have a nice computer chair and I rest my feet on my desktop so it ain't so bad.

I have a couch and a wireless mouse and keyboard in my office. Quite comfy.

Re: Reports Toshiba dropping HD-DVD.

Heh, it's funny, they'll deny it right up until they announce that they're dropping it.

What's kind of odd though, I don't think that they can just drop the format right now, with obligations to Universal and Paramount that have HD-DVD exclusives scheduled.

Bay Fights Format War

Transformers helmer takes another stand for Blu-ray.

by IGN Staff

February 13, 2008 - Transformers helmer Michael Bay has long been an outspoken supporter of Blu-ray. He even threatened to quit Transformers 2 after Paramount's decision to go exclusively with HD DVD. Of course, Bay took a chill pill and has now begun work on the sequel, but Blu-ray's recent victories in the format war (the support of Best Buy and Netflix) have him speaking out once again.
"Blu-ray's better, and I told everyone, " the director says in an interview on HomeMediaMagazine.com. "I was very vocal about it. I knew HD [DVD] was not going to make it.
"Am I thrilled? It really wasn't my fight, but remember what I said in the press? I was kind of saying HD [DVD]'s going to lose," he continues. "No one believed me."
Bay's Transformers 2 is slated for a June 26, 2009 release. And we hope the format war will be ancient history by the time it comes to DVD.

I always knew Blu-ray would be the winner myself.(at least thats what i felt in my gut)And i'm glad!

So anyone think this "rumor" about Toshiba giving up on HD is just Sony-planted propaganda?

I'm not a conspiracy nut and I agree with what Douglas said above about the Netflix decision not being a pay-off. But a lot of the Blu-ray decisions HAVE been the result of payoffs.

I just wish they'd gone with one format before launching either to the public.

Wow, Bay says "Blu Ray is btter" so it must be true :rolleyes:

I hate how some people act like one is so much better than the other. They are pretty much the same. Sure, one was bound to win eventually, but to act like one was a better product was plain stupid.

The Hollywood Reporter is citing "reliable industry sources" as saying that Toshiba is on the verge of officially dropping its HD DVD format.

Though Toshiba denies that any such decision has been made, the just-published article in The Reporter points to "substantial" losses from each HD DVD player sold and a series of high-profile defections as key motivators for the company, with one unnamed source close to the HD DVD camp telling the Reporter that "an announcement is coming soon... it could be a matter of weeks."
ADVERTISEMENT

Asked to respond to the report, Toshiba VP Jodi Sally reiterated her company's support of the HD DVD format. "Based on its technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the best format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality inherent in our player offerings," said Sally.

The exec went on to address "the market developments in the past month," saying only that "Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players."

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Report:_Toshiba_to_Drop_HD_DVD/1468

Everyone get those black suits ready ... cause that's what you wear to a funeral (nod to the Giants D for that gem :D)

The Hollywood Reporter is citing "reliable industry sources" as saying that Toshiba is on the verge of officially dropping its HD DVD format.

Though Toshiba denies that any such decision has been made, the just-published article in The Reporter points to "substantial" losses from each HD DVD player sold and a series of high-profile defections as key motivators for the company, with one unnamed source close to the HD DVD camp telling the Reporter that "an announcement is coming soon... it could be a matter of weeks."
ADVERTISEMENT

Asked to respond to the report, Toshiba VP Jodi Sally reiterated her company's support of the HD DVD format. "Based on its technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the best format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality inherent in our player offerings," said Sally.

The exec went on to address "the market developments in the past month," saying only that "Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players."

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Report:_Toshiba_to_Drop_HD_DVD/1468

Everyone get those black suits ready ... cause that's what you wear to a funeral (nod to the Giants D for that gem :D)

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29841

So anyone think this "rumor" about Toshiba giving up on HD is just Sony-planted propaganda?

I'm not a conspiracy nut and I agree with what Douglas said above about the Netflix decision not being a pay-off. But a lot of the Blu-ray decisions HAVE been the result of payoffs.

As have HD-DVD decisions:

1. WB releasing 20 - 30 titles on HD-DVD and not on BD.
2. Payments to Universal to remain HD-DVD exclusive after WB decision
3. Payments to Paramount to drop BD for HD-DVD
4. Payments to respected company like Onkyno to release a player (essentially a rebadged Toshiba).
etc etc etc

Time to drop the back and fourth about who was paid what. FACT. More discs were sold on BD than on HD-DVD by a margin of 2:1 before WB decision.

It doesn't make you a nut to know and realize that Corperations,Government,Class mates,Coworkers,supervisors,managers,and people you know and care about are conspiring behind your back at this very moment.May be not all at the same time,but then again.Conspiracy is everywere,secrets are everywere.You are not a Nut :cool:

No, I don't think it is propaganda. Thomas K. Arnold, one of the authors of the article, is the publisher of Home Media Magazine, and has a substantial reputation of being even-handed in his coverage of, and feelings about, the format war. Whether or not the sources in the article are correct is another matter, but Arnold's reporting of their claims is not.

Back