Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same problem, i used super glue but it didnt hold the lamp well, but i used a glue called araldite whixh worked very well. Hope it helps

Hey u guys, does anybody know what would b the cheapest way to get a elastic for the helmet??:confused:
For my Hicks Iam now using the one that came with Hudson helmet.
I would like 2 start on my Hudson sometime soon So, he also needs one.
Gues i will have 2 buy a cheap helmet?
i got some of the same type of material but the problem with that = that it is 2 wide, and if i try 2 cut it it falls apart and the elastics show.

Go to your local sewing store you want to get elastic that has a 3mm width.shouldnt be expensive and you should get a few metres.the only problem is you will have to paint it the color you need.

Finally got a Hicks. Started putting him altogether today but I seem to be missing the bracket that the lamp attaches to on the back armour. I was wondering, if anyone else has had this problem and how they fixed it?

same thing happened to my Hicks.It broke off then I lost it :banghead.
I really depends on what part of the movie you want your marines to represent.I personally like the look of the after the hive scene because theyre all beat up and you dont need all the parts of the armor to do those scenes.they dont have any of their shoulder lamps after that part and Hicks never wears his helmet after that,which is the way i display mine because the helmet obstructs to much of FML's awesome sculpt.

same thing happened to my Hicks.It broke off then I lost it :banghead.
I really depends on what part of the movie you want your marines to represent.I personally like the look of the after the hive scene because theyre all beat up and you dont need all the parts of the armor to do those scenes.they dont have any of their shoulder lamps after that part and Hicks never wears his helmet after that,which is the way i display mine because the helmet obstructs to much of FML's awesome sculpt.

That is a very valid point although, I don't have a FML, Xenoviper has painted up one of his excellent sculpts for my Hicks. Anyway I found some thin plastic in my odds & ends box which I am fashioning into a replacement bracket. If it works I'll have more display options. :D

That is a very valid point although, I don't have a FML, Xenoviper has painted up one of his excellent sculpts for my Hicks. Anyway I found some thin plastic in my odds & ends box which I am fashioning into a replacement bracket. If it works I'll have more display options. :D

thats you best bet or use some sculpy to make a new one.no way would I just glue it to the armor :horror

I've never had a problem losing or breaking off the mounting tab for the shoulder lamp, but if that were to happen it shouldn't be hard to make one out of sheet styrene or ABS plastic. The thickness is about 1.5 mm. I highly recommend using pins made from brass rod to secure them to the armor, in addition to glue for extra strength.

I never glue my lamps on, and you shouldn't have to either. They should just slip down over the tab, nice and easy. Anyway, here are some pics that might be helpful.

Shoulder lamp tab
LampBracket2.jpg

Shoulder lamp bracket
Lamp-Mounted1.jpg

Attaching lamp - 1
AttachLamp1.jpg

Attaching lamp - 2
AttachLamp2.jpg

Attaching lamp - 3
Lamp-Mounted2.jpg

Shoulder lamp mounted & in position
Lamp-Mounted3.jpg

Last edited:
Some of you guys who have sifted back through this thread far enough may have come across some discussions about the "Stoner" SEAL head sculpt, which was actually Hicks in disguise under a lot of camo face paint. It was quite a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it's the one FML used as a base for his spiky haired Hicks resculpt. The head that HT released as "Hudson" was also a Hicks in disguise, and quite a few people kit bashed their own Hicks from a Hudson figure.

The Stoner SEAL figure is pretty scarce now, but I still see them pop up on ebay from time to time. And they're still a lot cheaper than a complete Hicks figure! The head does require a professional repaint to bring out the M.B. likeness. Definitely worth picking up if you find one, and the Stoner SEAL figure itself is still one of the coolest military figures they've ever done, imo.

These aren't the best pics, but if you look closely you'll see the uncanny resemblance. What makes the Stoner SEAL sculpt even better is his slicked-down hair... he CAN wear a helmet with ease! :D

Stoner SEAL close up
Stoner-HicksCU.jpg

Stoner SEAL as Corp. Hicks
Stoner-Hicks.jpg

Comparison w/ FML Spiky Hair makeover
StonerSpikyHicks1.jpg

Comparison w/ FML Spiky Hair makeover
StonerSpikyHicks2.jpg

FML's Spiky Hicks Evolution - 1
HicksEvolution1.jpg

FML's Spiky Hicks Evolution - 2
HicksEvolution2.jpg

FML's Spiky Hicks Evolution - 3
HicksEvolution3.jpg

Hi Mudshark, thanks for posting the Hicks head comparison pics. Is the HT Hudson the same sculpt as the Stoner? I have a stripped Hudson head and it looks pretty much the same to me, but it's difficult to tell with the camo paint.
I was going to repaint the Hudson head for my Hicks, but then I was lucky enough to get a FML "spikey". :D

I've never had a problem losing or breaking off the mounting tab for the shoulder lamp, but if that were to happen it shouldn't be hard to make one out of sheet styrene or ABS plastic. The thickness is about 1.5 mm. I highly recommend using pins made from brass rod to secure them to the armor, in addition to glue for extra strength.

I never glue my lamps on, and you shouldn't have to either. They should just slip down over the tab, nice and easy. Anyway, here are some pics that might be helpful.

Shoulder lamp tab
LampBracket2.jpg

The bracket was missing when I received it, so I really appreciate the photos Mudshark. I hadn’t realised the bracket need to be positioned at an angle. Thanks again.

Cheers for the pics mudshark, both the bracket and the small part to the right of it were broken off my hicks armour and there was glue marks. Probably from the previous owner.

I recently made a start on my Vazquez I'm using a bbi body that I am going to add bulk too, using sculpy, if it doesn't work I will eventually just buy a different body. If it works I will post some pics and see what you guys think.

This is a bit off the point of a colonial marine thread but is the mcfarland alien warrior close enough to 1/6th scale or is it far to small to add to a 1/6th dio?
I only ask because I don't want to buy a Hot Toys warrior, too expensive for me and I have read to many horror stories for my liking.

I'm thinking about trying to pick up a Sarah Connor body for Vasquez. The more defined, but still feminine, muscle tone on her arms might look pretty good compared to the original stick arm body I have her on right now.

I know what you mean. It's already 5:00 a.m. where I am right now! :lol After midnight is about the only time I have all to myself these days.

At the moment most of my Marines are parted out and in various stages of WIP. My work area was in need of a major clean up and I recently cleared out a space so I can hopefully get some work done in the near future. Not sure how far I'll get before my brief vacation is over, but I'll do my best to post some pics here when I have something ready to share.

I will have my thumbs up for you, Mudshark:D

Back