DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

I think those colors are based on the comic books rather than TV show

I'm starting to think that this might be a exclusive "comics" version of her for this set? LMAO!!

If they fix at least her colors, I can live with her.

I'm pretty leery about the whole color issue.

Colors get spec'd by the designer. Those colors get mixed by animators. (Remember, we're still talking about hand-painted animation cels.) The cels are photographed and transferred to tape. Those tapes are duplicated, distributed, and aired on televisions in a completely different color model (RGB). Don't even get me started about monitor calibration.

I recall collectors complaining about the colors used on Playmates Toys' Star Trek: The Next Generation action figures. People would insist that Picard's uniform was everything from candy apple red to maroon. And nobody thought the Science uniforms were anything but blue. After seeing the costumes in person, it's pretty wild seeing where things start and how they end up. (Ask any Star Wars fan if Han's coat on Both was blue or brown.)

So what we might be seeing here is the definitive, intended colors for Ivy, colors that were corrupted by the process I described. That would explain why she looks like the comic book version; it uses a CMYK color model.

TimmIvy.jpg

It's not a question of CMKY vs RGB, but rather NTSC.

NTCS is the North America broadcast standard and its color space is narrower and therefore more more muted than RGB. It pretty much kills any bright colors.

So yes, the actual color designs for Ivy were most likely much more saturated than what we see in the actual show.

This is what I personally would like to get as a final version :)

and Croc

The only thing that worries me is Montoya on the end, there. For that price, and with that packaging, I would hope it's collector friendly.

^^
I love you, Zelu!

Luckily, I still haven't sent them the e-mail. Will add your photoshopped image.

Had to rush, as I almost missed my doctor appointment. Was so focused on the discussion here and the e-mail. LMAAAAAO

I come back from a week long vacation of being sick, only to see this set and feel sick once again lol.

At $175 for the set, that's $35 per figure LMAO. No thanks. I highly doubt they're going to include $40 worth of accessories (and I mean $40 of accessories on top of the amount of normal accessories that would come with single carded figs), and I'll be damned if I'm paying $35 a piece for these (even though they're a set)

Ivy looks like one of those ugly DC Superhero Girls figures for 5 years olds that they sell at target. Croc is also hideous. Bane and Freeze are decent, I suppose. Montoya is also mehh.

Who the *****ks idea was it to put 4 of the remaining main villains in one set, rather than single card? Seems like a bad/ cash grabby idea to me. Wouldn't have thought a new reveal would make me lose even more interest in this line, but it is what it is. At $175 bucks, unless they include some MAJOR accessories, and fix some of these awful sculpts, I will gladly watch these collect dust on the top shelf at my LCS

-Your cynical neighborhood pessimist

^^
I love you, Zelu!

Luckily, I still haven't sent them the e-mail. Will add your photoshopped image.

Had to rush, as I almost missed my doctor appointment. Was so focused on the discussion here and the e-mail. LMAAAAAO

LOL thanks :) The hair on Ivy isn't great as I haven't used Photoshop for ages but at least it looks better :)

I hope DCC can read what you are saying about colors and sculpts. Ivy looks small and the hair is different. hope they can make the changes.

[/URL]

Zelu, I hope you approve. I went in and rounded off Ivy's chin, since her chin was never anywhere near that sharp until the TNBA redesign. It's a small change to a really great shop you did there, but I think takes it substantially closer to what we saw on screen.
Ivy%20shop%20chin%20fix_zpsh03dysup.jpg

Zelu, I hope you approve. I went in and rounded off Ivy's chin, since her chin was never anywhere near that sharp until the TNBA redesign. It's a small change to a really great shop you did there, but I think takes it substantially closer to what we saw on screen.
Ivy%20shop%20chin%20fix_zpsh03dysup.jpg

Yes, looks even better and more accurate! They should use the reference from "Pretty Poison" as this was Ivy's best episode (design wise) I didn't like "Eternal Youth" at all :/

Awesome news on the 5 pack. Strange that they are blowing through all of those in one shot. Thinking about it, I kind of wish the box was one of the Gotham PD prisoner wagons instead of just the jail.

I'm betting they release most of these as singles as well, especially the villains, but probably not Montoya.

Still need Scarecrow, Two Face, and Alfred.

I Just hope that, if they do release them as singles, they give them the same accessories. I don't want to shell out that much knowing that I'd need to get the figures again because they decide to give them more (or different) stuff.

E-mail sent!! Let's pray! :pray:

Thanks, Zelu and S. Griffin, for the images!

But, guys, send them e-mails yourselves, too! The more e-mails, the more pressure!

I email them pretty often about fixing figures in this line, so no worries there.

Yes, looks even better and more accurate! They should use the reference from "Pretty Poison" as this was Ivy's best episode (design wise) I didn't like "Eternal Youth" at all :/

They use the original model sheet/turnaround as the main reference, as the animation was screwed throughout the series.

But Ivy's model sheet was the one that sticked the most throughout the show.
Look at her bang and colors.

74188-5307912Fr.jpg

So, there's NO excuse this time. "Oh, but we base the figures on the original model sheet". B*tch, please!
And I included this model sheet on my e-mail.
They WILL be pressed this time.

I almost sent the Pop Funko and Kenner figures for correct bang examples, but I thought comparing them to other companies was too impolite.

Thanks to Zelu I managed to get the Batwing this week. It's amazing! DCC did an amazing job with this one!

Here are some photos of it up on my display. So glad it fits!! (just!) :D

I plan to hide the pole holding it up with a cloud cut-out eventually so it fits into the display a little more seamlessly :)

SFA, somehow, I missed this, but may I just say that is magnificent. I loved it before, but the Batwing is the proverbial "rug that ties the whole room together," in the immortal words of The Dude. The way it's positioned, the cloud cover; it's perfect; your whole display is so creative and, frankly, beautiful and you're extremely talented! To say that I'm jealous of not only your display, but your skill in creating it, would be an understatement.:lol

Suffice it to say, you deserve a thumbs up from Batman:

3b99579ef39a725a20fc8795cd194459.gif

That's impossible, as the body shape and cloth changed with the head:

dcdbtas5crw2.png

They would have to make 2 BTAS Scarecrows, if they are to release the first one.

I wouldn't mind if they gave his main, straw haired appearance a single card, then did his Nothing to Fear look the two-pack treatment with "Nightmare" Batman and a terrified Crane head.

and Croc

Initially, I didn't really get the criticisms towards Croc, as I thought he seemed pretty accurate to the design, but wow. Those changes to the eyes really sell it. Ivy looks amazing and vastly improved from those small changes, as well, and I would gladly go up to bat in favor of figures that looked more like those. Well done!

Back