Director Tony Scott dead in apparent suicide

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how come? what happens? i thought Death was instantaneous
Depends on how many volts are hitting you in a single second. You could end up getting latched onto the current, but one that isn't strong enough to kill you instantaneously. It is theoretically possible that you would even have a prolonged dying experience, due to the current running through your body... like a light bulb being left on till it pops. Not only that, some people, believe it or not, have a resistence to electricity that could further hinder the attempt, with lesser overall bodily damage.

Really, the easiest option for death is a morphine overdose, shotgun to the cranium, or standing in front of a high speed train. All of those are pretty pain free, I'd imagine, with the latter two "generally" being instantaneous.

Just been watching these videos , Tony Scott was incredibly talented. I can't think of many other directors that can bring performances out similar to what he did. He managed to capture that sense of believability that delves you into a movie to truly make it a great film.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_svnsF5OLbI[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6LZhpgpggU[/ame]

Plain and simple, IMO, it's just poor taste to come into a thread about a man's death and say negative things. RIP Tony Scott.

This is very sad. Depression sucks. It often feels like not enough people recognize how serious it is.

RIP Tony Scott.

:exactly::exactly::exactly: I 100% agree with this.

It's a shame it has to get to this point for people to finally pay attention. And even then it's never enough.

Because most keep it to themselves. They don't want to sound weak or come across as whiners especially if they're famous and wealthy and seemingly have it all.

Often the depressed person hides the depression and therefore friends and family aren't even aware of their distress and that they need help. Depression is an ugly thing, it gets in there and makes a person think that it will only be worse if other people find out that you're not "happy" with your life.

I just feel like there's need to be a lot done when it comes to bringing awareness to mental illnesses such as depression. The general public just seems to think it's 'crying for attention' & they need to just 'get over it' - It's a real shame.

The only mainstream celebrity we have that tries to bring awareness to depression is Demi Lovato (the Disney star) & even then she just uses it as a money making gimmick to get on the cover of the latest US magazine. Frustrating.

I just feel like there's need to be a lot done when it comes to bringing awareness to mental illnesses such as depression. The general public just seems to think it's 'crying for attention' & they need to just 'get over it' - It's a real shame.

The only mainstream celebrity we have that tries to bring awareness to depression is Demi Lovato (the Disney star) & even then she just uses it as a money making gimmick to get on the cover of the latest US magazine. Frustrating.
That doesn't make sense though. I know there are people out there that are aware, because in my own corner of the world I've heard of friends and family members seeking help for depression. For some, therapy is often suggested, and then there are meds.

Anyway, doesn't everyone go through some sort of depression at one point or another in their life?

In my own experience, I had one, that I'm aware of, years ago and thankfully I managed to come out of it without meds. I just kind of phased out of it. One thing that I think helped is I hate not feeling like I'm in control, which is why I'm a very light drinker. I fought it off by telling myself, I can't let this rule me forever. It's just like being fearful of something that nearly killed you. You have to face it. I overcame both with mere willpower, because I'm a stubborn sob as it is. Either that or I just snap out of **** real easy. I've always been the type to get mad as hell at someone, yet forgive them the very next day. Could definitely be a contributing factor, now that I think about it. :dunno

That doesn't make sense though. I know there are people out there that are aware, because in my own corner of the world I've heard of friends and family members seeking help for depression. For some, therapy is often suggested, and then there are meds.

Anyway, doesn't everyone go through some sort of depression at one point or another in their life?

In my own experience, I had one, that I'm aware of, years ago and thankfully I managed to come out of it without meds. I just kind of phased out of it. One thing that I think helped is I hate not feeling like I'm in control, which is why I'm a very light drinker. I fought it off by telling myself, I can't let this rule me forever. It's just like being fearful of something that nearly killed you. You have to face it. I overcame both with mere willpower, because I'm a stubborn sob as it is. Either that or I just snap out of **** real easy. I've always been the type to get mad as hell at someone, yet forgive them the very next day. Could definitely be a contributing factor, now that I think about it. :dunno

Sure, there's no doubt about it - but you have to remember that clinical depression is much more than just being sad. It can be a genuine chemical imbalance in your brain that can affect you for the rest of your life. Sure, 'everybody goes through depression at one point in their life' but for a lot of people, it can be as permanent as a scar.

Depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, eating disorders, etc, they can all be things that are out of our control & one cannot just stop doing.
It's great that you were able to get over it yourself. Not a lot of people are capable of doing that - but it's not the same case for everyone & a lot of people just don't seem to get that. That's what I feel needs to change.

Chemically imbalanced depression requires meds. You'd think, assuming one was aware of the condition, they'd be going to get proper treatment. Though I've heard there are instances where you don't even know you have it. I still find that a bit... odd.

Oh yeah, in most cases, mental illnesses require some sort of treatment. There's no doubt about that - but, well, I was personally diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 16 & wasn't medicated 'till I was forced to take them at the age of 19. I was in denial for 3 years & was extremely against taking anything that would alter my state of mind. I can't speak for everybody but I know it can be very hard for some one to even come to terms that you have a problem & that you need medical help. It's dangerous in a sense that a lot of people try to deal with it on their own... which can lead to very tragic results.

Idk, I just see it as a giant process that people need to be patient & more accepting about. No one should be ashamed of what they might have. I've always felt like mental illnesses were extremely misunderstood by the general public.

Human beings are creatures of denial. We wield it against a great many things. You should never do so when it comes to health ailments, of any kind. Better to be safe than sorry, even if some would label you a hypochondriac.

But of course people are still ashamed to admit they have a problem like depression, there is still a huge stigma surrounding any mental illness. That's even if the person realizes/knows they have a problem. That's the thing about clinical depression, it messes with your head and keeps you from getting help because you feel so lost and like nothing can get any better and you just don't care. Then there's manic-depression (bipolar disorder) with its horrible ups and downs. An old roommate of mine was bipolar and hated taking meds for it cuz it made her weight fluctuated so wildly because of them. I had another "acquaintance" who was a paranoid schizophrenic, he was relatively normal when he was on his meds but completely off-the-wall when he wasn't and he hated his meds cuz he said they made him feel like he was in a fog and a stranger in his own skin. He would stop taking his meds and he thought people were watching him from the unoccupied rooms in the hotel across the street from my apartment, and that's the least of it. Trying to get him help when he was off his meds was a nightmare and nearly impossible. Sometimes trying to help somebody with a mental illness is not an option, they just won't let you help or refuse to accept assistance from anyone, it's a horrible downward spiral and they don't see it getting any better because it's not something that they can ever get rid of.

While obviously mental illnesses can take hold and be very difficult for someone to combat, it's still possible, even if you have to take meds. From my perspective, I'd rather get as much help as possible, than suffer in silence while I obsess about spies in a hotel across the street.

By the way, isn't obsessive compulsive disorder classified as a mental illness? If so, then I have a slight case of it. It used to be far worse, but I've managed to supress it over the years. Eventually it might even go away completely. I inherited it from my grandparents. I would constantly find myself "correcting" things, like the positioning of picture frames and dvd inserts, as well as uneven retail products on a shelf. Then there was the excessive hand washing. Ugh. :slap

While obviously mental illnesses can take hold and be very difficult for someone to combat, it's still possible, even if you have to take meds. From my perspective, I'd rather get as much help as possible, than suffer in silence while I obsess about spies in a hotel across the street.

By the way, isn't obsessive compulsive disorder classified as a mental illness? If so, then I have a slight case of it. It used to be far worse, but I've managed to supress it over the years. Eventually it might even go away completely. I inherited it from my grandparents. I would constantly find myself "correcting" things, like the positioning of picture frames and dvd inserts, as well as uneven retail products on a shelf. Then there was the excessive hand washing. Ugh. :slap

First off, let start by saying that the guy I was referring to with the paranoid schizophrenia was far from suffering in silence, I'm surprised you didn't hear him all the way over there in Empire City.:lol Lord knows I heard about it enough to last me a lifetime.

But in all seriousness, I think you would change your tune if, to combat your OCD, you had to take medications that altered the person you thought you were and made you feel disembodied.

I believe OCD is classified as a mental illness, but I think it's in a completely different order or level. We do not suffer from a mental illness to the same degree that others do. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to the OCD, with stuff like the retail products on a shelf or the DVDs. I also used to count stairs when I would walk up or down them, like in my apt. building or at the hospital I used to work at or stuff like that. But much like yourself, I have also managed to supress some of those things over the years. I haven't counted a stair in I can't tell you how many years and the world hasn't ended, can you believe that? I still find myself doing silly little things, like when I put away my pint glasses in the cupboard, if they have a logo or something on one side, I will always place it so the logo faces out.:cuckoo: So silly!!!:rotfl

You say that from your perspective, people should get as much help as possible rather than suffer, but you or I can't judge who should be getting help, because we're on the outside looking in and we don't know what it's like to be in their shoes.

Last edited:
Well, mental illnesses may be different. However, from personal experience, when it comes to my health, I want all the help in the world. Sadly, I'm not rich, nor do I work for some generous company that gives a damn about their employees. In fact, I've never worked for such a company.

Back