English Premier League EPL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: English Premier League EPL - 2010-2011 Season

Im afraid your wrong friend. Pedro is ahead of messi when the ball comes off him. Messi is ahead of the arsenal defenders but at the point of contact when he meets the ball, he is slightly behind the arsenal defenders which is therefore onside.
When Pedro recieves the ball, Messi is in an onside position and is level with the arsenal backline therefore it should not have been given offside.
Very tricky to spot.
When you see it, its easy to think he is off but he isnt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hExiky9lEG8

See again.
I think you don't truly understand the offside rule.
Read my earlier post again about needing to be behind 2 opposition players when the teammate made the pass/shot.

Woodgate did his groin in again.... How sad. He's an amazing footballer, he really is, but he just can't stay healthy. He'd be our captain if he could stay on the pitch. Anyway, if this ends up being his last game or even just his last for Spurs at least it was on a massive stage in a memorable game. Here's a couple photos from his most memorable performance at Spurs:

Woodgate2502_468x371.jpg

article-0-03B0CD2C000005DC-488_468x454.jpg

Its only a strain so lets hope he live's to kick another ball. Not just saying it cos he's at spurs but he is one of the most talented english defenders of the last 10 years. So unlucky with injury.

One more thing about the offside rule. The ONLY time you don't get called for offside when there is one or none opposition player in front of you is when your teamate passes the ball to you and the ball travels backwards or at least be in line with your run(kinda like rugby passes) If it travels forward, it will be offside the moment you receive the ball(you become actively offside).

So for this case, only way for Messi to be ONSIDE is for pedro to make a backward pass to Messi for the tap in.

Its only a strain so lets hope he live's to kick another ball. Not just saying it cos he's at spurs but he is one of the most talented english defenders of the last 10 years. So unlucky with injury.

I don't think anyone would argue that. When he and Ledders played together I honestly felt we could beat anyone.

One more thing about the offside rule. The ONLY time you don't get called for offside when there is one or none opposition player in front of you is when your teamate passes the ball to you and the ball travels backwards or at least be in line with your run(kinda like rugby passes) If it travels forward, it will be offside the moment you receive the ball(you become actively offside).

So for this case, only way for Messi to be ONSIDE is for pedro to make a backward pass to Messi for the tap in.
I cant see how you can give that offside. When messi starts his run, he is onside. When Pedro strikes the ball, Messi isnt active and only becomes active when he makes contact with the ball in an onside position.

You could only give messi offside in the first phase of play if he was interfering with play and although he is close to the action, he does not interfere and becomes active in the second phase in an onside position.

Messi needs to be behind 2 arsenal players when Pedro took the shot.
Clearly he was not. That is the offside rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offside_(association_football)

I dont agree. Why should messi have to be behind the 2 arsenal defenders when Pedro strikes???
If messi was to head in ahead of the arsenal backline then its offside.
Messi could be standing on the post and deemed not interfering with play. If he runs back onside in the second phase of play and gets level and scores, the goal would stand.
Thats how it is in todays game and the goal should have been given.
Just have to agree to disagree.

:lecture Fom FIFA.com :lecture

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

Offside position
It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.
A player is in an offside position if:
• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second-last opponent:

A player is not in an offside position if:
• he is in his own half of the fi eld of play or
• he is level with the second-last opponent or
• he is level with the last two opponents
Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball
touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee,
involved in active play by:
• interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
gaining an advantage by being in that position

Why should messi have to be behind the 2 arsenal defenders when Pedro strikes???.

Because the FIFA rulebook mentioned that.

Messi could be standing on the post and deemed not interfering with play.

No, but he would gained an advantage by being in that position as stated in the rulebook.

So let us see....

1.Was Messi nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent? Check

2.played by one of his team? By the blocked shot, check

3.gaining an advantage by being in that position? Check

Offside it is then.

2nd last opponent means there should be 2 opposition players behind the ball if you are still wondering.

Last edited:

In a week when Arsenal toppled the best team in the world Man Utd struggled to a 1-0 against the mighty Crawley and were very,very embarrassing.

The goal against City was clearly a fluke as Rooney was again useless but he at least offers something occasionally whereas Carrick,Obertan,Bebe,Anderson and Gibson offer nothing but the ability to give the ball to the opposition.

In a week when Arsenal toppled the best team in the world Man Utd struggled to a 1-0 against the mighty Crawley and were very,very embarrassing.

The goal against City was clearly a fluke as Rooney was again useless but he at least offers something occasionally whereas Carrick,Obertan,Bebe,Anderson and Gibson offer nothing but the ability to give the ball to the opposition.

Ah yes but in that (almost) same week we drew with Orient. We love to play down to our opponents. A draw is better than a loss and this will give even more playing time to our B-Side. Plus some extra revenue for the game at the Emirates.

Considering how pathetic his first touch has been in far simpler situations this season the fact he made good contact on such a difficult shot was definitely a fluke.

I hope this season ends up blank as it might convince SAF to actually try and do something about replacing all the crocks,the past it's and the no hopers.

Wow.....spuds lose to Blackpool 3-1. Hope Blackpool stays up.. Good team great fans.

Considering how pathetic his first touch has been in far simpler situations this season the fact he made good contact on such a difficult shot was definitely a fluke.

I hope this season ends up blank as it might convince SAF to actually try and do something about replacing all the crocks,the past it's and the no hopers.

Seriously...are you for real?!:gah: If you've ever played a serious game of footy in your life, you'd know that that goal wasn't a fluke :wink1:
Incidently, who are these crocks you're going on about? Hargreaves is a write off but we've known that for ages. Yeah Ferdinand is admittedly going through a bad patch but we have Smalling having a standout season when he's called upon.
Past it's? You mean Giggs and Scholes - still two of the best midfielders in England oh and our keeper, still world class at 40...
The only part of your arguement that holds water, is these no hopers namely Bebe, Obertan, possibly Carrick and Gibson too.
Other than that, i'd agree with you, the club is in turmoil sitting four points clear at the top of the league :dunno

Last edited:

Wow.....spuds lose to Blackpool 3-1. Hope Blackpool stays up.. Good team great fans.

Ah, we scored eh? I turned off the tracker at 3-0... Needless to say I won't be watching the recording when I get home. :(

We could have been third, just a few points shy of Arsenal.:dunno Oh well.

Ah, we scored eh? I turned off the tracker at 3-0... Needless to say I won't be watching the recording when I get home. :(

We could have been third, just a few points shy of Arsenal.:dunno Oh well.

Silly Flosi...there's only one north London club. :) Forever in our shadow son. :wave:wave

Just breaking b*lls. (kinda) You guys are having a good run this year, top 5 in the premier and champ playoffs as well.....all without breaking your bank. Yes you bought some of our sloppy seconds (Gallas). But all in all not bad.

samir-nasri-arsenal-lesion.jpg

PS...THis is a great quote :)

arsenaltshirts-thierry-henry-arsenal-tshirt.png

Last edited:

Seriously...are you for real?!:gah: If you've ever played a serious game of footy in your life, you'd know that that goal wasn't a fluke :wink1:
Incidently, who are these crocks you're going on about? Hargreaves is a write off but we've known that for ages. Yeah Ferdinand is admittedly going through a bad patch but we have Smalling having a standout season when he's called upon.
Past it's? You mean Giggs and Scholes - still two of the best midfielders in England oh and our keeper, still world class at 40...
The only part of your arguement that holds water, is these no hopers namely Bebe, Obertan, possibly Carrick and Gibson too.
Other than that, i'd agree with you, the club is in turmoil sitting four points clear at the top of the league :dunno

Four points as of now.....we shall slaughter Stoke tomorrow and be within one point. :) Unless Shawcross breaks everyone's legs. I'm calling it now....Arsenal will win the Premier League and the Carling Cup this year.

Giggs and Scholes are both past their prime. Yes they were amazing but I'd like to see them put in 90 minutes against Barcelona. Manu are an aging team....I'm not saying they are crap or anything but they are starting on the downhill. Scholes and Giggs can't carry you another 10 years. Who is your best midfield player? Anderson? Carrick? Are those the players to carry Manu into the future? Seems like they have to buy lots of players in the coming years.

Last edited:
Back