English Premier League EPL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep he cant get the funds. His hands are tied due to the financial constraints by the owners and actually should be applauded for getting the side competing to the level they reach with imo, one of his weaker squads.

Anyways, what a goal by Baines tonight. wont see a better freekick this season!

And well done Harry :) keeps us above chelsea and I have £20 on QPR staying up lol

Yep he cant get the funds. His hands are tied due to the financial constraints by the owners and actually should be applauded for getting the side competing to the level they reach with imo, one of his weaker squads.

He's the only manager that could get such mediocre players to continually punch above their weight but if the Glazers want to ensure that life after Fergie is as profitable for them as while he's in charge they're going to have to loosen the purse strings at some point because the youth system isn't producing anything.

Messi wins Ba Lon Dor. Doesnt derserve it, breaking a couple of goal records shouldnt be counted. CR derserved it after taking Portugal dingle handedly to the semi finals and didnt really fail since he never to a penalty. He also took Barcelonas and apparently the greatest players crowning jewel the Spanish Cup and was 45% of Real Madrid last year. Disgusting by the voters by voting for Mesdi for being "humble".

Messi wins Ba Lon Dor. Doesnt derserve it, breaking a couple of goal records shouldnt be counted. CR derserved it after taking Portugal dingle handedly to the semi finals and didnt really fail since he never to a penalty. He also took Barcelonas and apparently the greatest players crowning jewel the Spanish Cup and was 45% of Real Madrid last year. Disgusting by the voters by voting for Mesdi for being "humble".
Aww so sad for you.. you are so sad and angry at the same time that your typos are going bonkers... let me reiterate all your points.

1. Messi didnt break a 'couple' of records. He broke 2 records that stood for 40 YEARS... no mean feat. First one for most goals in a season, second for most no of goals in a Calender Year. 91 goals a year is no mean feat. If its so easy then it should have been broken earlier. Dont think the world had any dearth of great goalscorers in between Messi and Muller.

2. Portugal wasnt singlehandedly taken by Ronaldo... it was a 'team effort' (but considering how much you are lionising Ronaldo I done think 'team effort' means much to his fans) because he did NOTHING in the first two games which Portugal lost the first one and won the second one, where he had missed monumental sitters. He had one good match where he was definitely the difference - against Holland. Czech Republic was again his goal but the ones who stood our for Portugal in the Euros were Coentrao, Pepe and Bruno Alves actually. Ronaldo being who he is was expected to do much more than just play lousy in the first couple of games - he lost his fold when he faced the actual big names (Germany, Spain).

Secondly about the penalty miss - the monumental chances he missed against Spain where he preferred to take glory shots instead of calmly slotting the ball or even passing it to a better positioned player cost Portugal scoring goals in the game itself. And we all know it was a shame why Ronaldo never took the first penalty. Nani was incensed about it if you remember - and divulged that Ronaldo wanted to take the last one to hog all the glory, ironically he never got the chance. In terms of crisis the greatest player should step up and take all responsibility... not leave it for his less experienced compatriots.

The best and regular penalty taker generally takes the first penalty like Alonso did for Spain. On top of that Alonso missed. It was perfect for Ronaldo to step up and score and put his team ahead. But no he waited for the glory penalty and his replacement with zero experience missed too negating the advantage.

And him being 45% of Real Madrid is either blind adulation to push him up or an insult to Real's squad depth. Any longtime Madrid fan will be pissed of reading that. He was Real Madrids trump card true, but Real Madrid played very well as a team last season and deservedly won the La Liga as they were more consistent. Fans like you say Messi cant do anything without Xavi, Iniesta and forget Ronaldo's bulk assist giver is Ozil. Rather Ozil's assist percentage for Ronaldo is FAR more than Xavi and Iniesta's put together for Messi. Messi's biggest Assists come from Dani Alves.

If you think Messi was given all the votes for being 'humble' maybe thats another quality Ronaldo should work at :lol If humility wins you awards it must be a big quality right? Jokes apart this is the worst excuse Ronaldo fans have come up with - first it was UEFA/FIFA consipracy. UEFA/FIFA released the WHOLE votes cast for publci showing who voted for who so now its the voters voted for humility :lol :lol

I remember Ronaldo's comments on the eve of the El Classico in 2010. Barca had beaten I believe Almeira 8-0 and the El Classico was the next match. Ronaldo said "Let’s see if they score eight against us on Monday"... what happened as a result? Barca won 5-0

The point is, Messi won. Ronaldo didnt. They are both great players. Dont put the other down and exaggerate the others impact. Its disrespectful to both of them.

Last edited:
I stand corrected for the first 5-6 paragraphs because im a Man Utd supporter not a Real supporter. I still believe the Balon dor should have gone to Ronaldo. Sorry about the mispellings and bad punctuation.

2010: Sneijder won 3 league titles and helped holland to the wc final. Messi won balondor
2011: ronaldo outsocred messi, messi won more titles. Messi won balondor
2012: ronaldo was outscored by messi but won more titles, messi won
???? Strange no ???????
• messi is a cf who plays in the less defesive areas. All he needs is a nice through ball and this is barcas mifield we are talking about so passess are garenteed (spelling?) most of his goals were from chips and 1v1 with 3 m of space.
• ronaldo is a winger who like jose said defends. This means more work for ronaldo. A wimger to score the amount he did and still able to outscore 3 strikers in his team is shocking.
• messi grew up with the team and players, ronaldo came from england which is arguably the best league in the world and succeeded. Messi didnt

Neither Ronaldo or Messi play in the Premier League which this thread is supposed to be about.

I suggest a La Liga thread be started instead of constantly hijacking this one.

Neither Ronaldo or Messi play in the Premier League which this thread is supposed to be about.

I suggest a La Liga thread be started instead of constantly hijacking this one.

I don't think you're in any position to talk about hijacking threads mate.
Personally, I don't see the problem. It's good to talk footy in general. You seriously don't need different threads for different leagues :cuckoo:

2010: Sneijder won 3 league titles and helped holland to the wc final. Messi won balondor
Sneijder won UCL, Scudetto, Italian Cup
2010: Messi won UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup, Spanish Super Cup, La Liga.
Both failed to win the World Cup
The world's international team's coaches, captains and 1 media representative voted Messi as the best player.

2011: ronaldo outsocred messi, messi won more titles. Messi won balondor
Messi and Ronaldo BOTH scored a total of 53 goals that season. Ronaldo got more than him in the La Liga, Messi scored more than him in the CL. But the point is BOTH scored the SAME no. in Total for a season. So there is no Ronaldo 'outscoring' Messi.
Ronaldo won: Spanish Cup
Messi won: La Liga, Spanish Supercup, UEFA Champions League
The world's international team's coaches, captains and 1 media representative voted Messi as the best player.

2012: ronaldo was outscored by messi but won more titles, messi won
???? Strange no ???????
Ronaldo won: La Liga, Spanish Super Cup
Messi won: UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup, Spanish Cup
Outscored is taking it a little lightly... 73 goals in one season and 91 goals in a calender year. Both records which stood for 40 years. Not a mean feat. AND The world's international team's coaches, captains and 1 media representative voted Messi as the best player.

• messi is a cf who plays in the less defesive areas. All he needs is a nice through ball and this is barcas mifield we are talking about so passess are garenteed (spelling?) most of his goals were from chips and 1v1 with 3 m of space.
Less defensive areas? He is the MOST man marked player in the world. Everytime he touches the ball a minimum of two players are onto him right then and there. And the way he chips the ball is one of the toughest techniques... plus you forget that before his one on one with the Goal Keeper... he dribbles past a couple of players most of the time and manages to play one twos in those tight plays.
And people used to say his free kicks are not that great... well last year and this season his conversion rate has been significantly higher than Ronaldo. Scoring past Cassilas in two consecutive matches from 30 or so yards out.
If you want to really know what you are talking about watch this video from MARCA (a fanatically pro-Real Madrid paper) Which analayses EVERY one of his record braking goals in the La Liga showing the distance from goal, players dribbled and which foot used etc etc
https://www.marca.com/2012/05/22/en/football/barcelona/1337678202.html
And hey if 1 on 1s are so simple how come they seem to be some of the most difficult situations for so many world class players to convert from? The difference between great players are their effectiveness in taking any chance they get.

• ronaldo is a winger who like jose said defends. This means more work for ronaldo. A wimger to score the amount he did and still able to outscore 3 strikers in his team is shocking.
Ronaldo is as much as a winger as Van Persie is now days or Messi was before Guardiola's masterstroke of playing him as a False 9 in The El Classico in the Middle of the 2008-09 season which Barca won 2-6.
Ronaldo's back tracking and defending is as non existent as Ibrahimovic's humility. Even in ManU Sir Alex realised that Ronaldo would never want to play like a pure winger in the way Beckham or Giggs did as he hardly came back to defend so he pushed him more central and sadly Rooney being a team player went more towards the sides. You know that. Gary Neville too used to complain that Ronaldo never covered and was too busy trying to go upfront to score. SAF knew it so played Ronaldo to his strengths knowing he will have to base his tactic to get the best out of him. You being a ManU fan should know that.. and if still you dont think so... let me point you to Gary Neville's colum where he wrote this exact thing about how with the advent of players like Ronaldo the pure winger style is dying out.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2234511/Gary-Neville-Brave-ruthless-relentless-Ronaldo-redefined-football.html
Its a very praising piece on Ronaldo but in key areas you will notice that Neville focuses on the fact that Ronaldo's reluctance to trackback left him on 2 on 1 situations and cost him matches but Ronaldo''s effectiveness in attack meant they had to make that up because he was scoring more.

And its no miracle he scores so much, see how many 'wingers' take as many shots on goal in a match. Ronaldo takes a lot of Glory Shots in a match. His shots to goals conversion ratio is not very good if you look at it. He takes more shots on goals than the striker because his teams even the strikers pass the ball to him to try score. Not because they arent able (Rooney, Benzema and Higuain are some of the finest) but because the team is built to take the best out of him

And incidentally Messi used to be a pure winger if you followed his games under Rijkaard.

Also as you say if he is a midfielder/winger shouldnt his primary skill be his assists? well his no. of Assists in a season is not even close to Messi's assists which incidentally is more than Xavi and Iniesta put together. So Messi not only scores a hell a lotta goals, but also creates an equally great no. of chances for his mates.

• messi grew up with the team and players, ronaldo came from england which is arguably the best league in the world and succeeded. Messi didnt
Messi grew up with the team and the players... yes. Ronaldo came from Portugal to England to Spain. So whats that got to do with anything? Maldini, Tony Adams, Iker Cassilas, Paul Scholes, Schweinsteige etc etc played with the same team and same league for years... any questions about greatness?
And I hope you wont tell me Spanish League has no quality like the EPL. Allmost all the top players in EPL are foreigners and a lions share are Spanish or have come from the La Liga. The quality of La Liga teams are no joke. Even now EPLs biggest transfer targets are from La Liga...

Deal is I understand you are a Ronaldo fan and you would want to see him get the recognition he deserves - and he does deserve a lot, sadly he is in the same generation as a player who comes to the world in flashes like Maradona, Pele, Cryuff.
I am a Barca and Bayern Munich fan and I dont believe in the Individual being bigger than the club but Im really happy Messi is playing in Barca. And after almost an Arsenal like spell of seeing Barca underachieving Im glad that now is their time and I am able to witness it. But I know these go in cycles so I want to enjoy it as long and while it lasts to make up for the slump which may come in the future...

I don't think you're in any position to talk about hijacking threads mate.
Personally, I don't see the problem. It's good to talk footy in general. You seriously don't need different threads for different leagues :cuckoo:
I think we should rename this to The Football Thread (NOT AMERICAN FOOTBALL :lol) as we have discussed The World Cup, Euro and just every other news in Football over here... the EPL thread kind of does relegate the nature of the subject. And knowing that there are just a few football fans in this forum one thread is good enough to keep things in context.

I personally thought Suares desrved it, won the Copa America, and led Liverpool to Mickey mouse cup as well a FA cup final.:mad:

Id hardly call it disgusting! You may never see Messi's record broken or will possibly wait a very long time.
Ronaldo is very good but Messi is the best player in the world and possibly the best of all time.

I personally thought Suares desrved it, won the Copa America, and led Liverpool to Mickey mouse cup as well a FA cup final.:mad:

That'd be a great idea, give the award to a racist, diving, handballing disgrace to the game as opposed to someone who actually deserves it :cuckoo:

I may be sick of hearing about Messi but even I'll acknowledge he's far more deserving of the award than Suarez....he'd probably have gone down like he'd been shot on the way to the podium to recieve the award.

That'd be a great idea, give the award to a racist, diving, handballing disgrace to the game as opposed to someone who actually deserves it :cuckoo:

I may be sick of hearing about Messi but even I'll acknowledge he's far more deserving of the award than Suarez....he'd probably have gone down like he'd been shot on the way to the podium to recieve the award.
interesting,,,ur calling someone racist someone who is playing alongside the likes of Glen Johnson, sterling,WIsdom and now sturride,all blacks..
its kinda understandable anyway that u mancs wanna keep calling him racist,

interesting,,,ur calling someone racist someone who is playing alongside the likes of Glen Johnson, sterling,WIsdom and now sturride,all blacks..
its kinda understandable anyway that u mancs wanna keep calling him racist,

Who are WIsdom and Sturride? :lol

Regardless of the other issue Suarez is still a habitual cheat who only stands out at club level because he's surrounded with garbage.

He's nowhere close to being in the same league as Ronaldo and Messi.

Last edited:

I actually thought you were joking lol.

He is a great player but there are far more deserving players ahead of him imo.

Who are WIsdom and Sturride? :lol

Regardless of the other issue Suarez is still a habitual cheat who only stands out at club level because he's surrounded with garbage.

He's nowhere close to being in the same league as Ronaldo and Messi.

from the club who brought diving to england(aka Ronaldo) and also has a certain Ryan giggs who likes to cheat off the field, a cerain defender who tried to escpae a drug test, a player who likes to grannies.. a player who like to kung fu fans, and another player who openly came and said he wanted to break a opposition players legs,,ur club is full of history like that

In before the lock. :wave

Edit: saurez as best player in the world? Might be the silliest post on all 164 pages of this thread.

Last edited:
Back