Furiosa (May 24, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol I’m an early 90’s kid, if I did see them it was probably on TV and I probably had no idea what they were.

Fury Road had so much buzz around release I had to check it out. I’m glad they’re not required viewing for it or Furiousa, for once a “soft reboot” works that way.

Well , it finally got going 30 minutes late.

Are you going to make it Epic?

Yes, yes indeed they did.

I'd give it a solid 8/10. It combines a lot of elements , and feels like TRW, FR, and the Mad Max game rolled into one film.

On the whole, it got more lore and more story than FR, and fleshes out a world that really has not been that well understood (unless you played the game). It was great to see characters from the game included , especially since George has always said it was cannon.

Opening up the world of Mad Max was something that I really think was needed. I personally always wanted to know more about how these gangs worked and interacted, since for me , the society bits really were great.

Taylor Joy and Helmsworth do a great job, with Dementus really stealing the show. The age old , great villain/great story, once again shows how important it is.

Unfortunately this film will always be put under the HeMan woman haters lens, and for those sad souls , they are going to miss a great film, sucks to be them I guess. I don think they can really fault this film with tha garbage though, as it's about a powerful woman who beats all , but it's so well done, it's gonna be hard to keep that narrative alive.

The CGI is VERY wonky in places, (that gate ramming scene is inexcusable, but the reality is , there is NO WAY, Miller could have done MOST of those shots in real time. This is much more fantasy based vehicle battles, and the shots would be near impossible to do for real. He would have had to scale back to the level of FR for that, and I think he wanted to do HUGE world leveling fights, and that is the price of CGI. I think 90% of the CGI is fine. You only know it's CGI because your brain know that the shot is impossible. It does not deter from the moment at all, for most of it. the shots that DO take you out of the moment are pretty quick, and you move on pretty easily as the story is compelling enough.

To me this was more Road Warrior like in tone than FR. It has the weird Australian feel and surreal world and characters, but the colors and scale of FR. Thankfully there is really nothing here from Thunderdome, with the exception of that one Easter egg.

I appreciated the slower scenes , and the drama injected into them. It really gave the world a more grounded feel, of society's trying to exist again, although bastardized.

As always, Miller gets the shots perfect, and the cinematography was spectacular. This is a must see IMAX film. The pacing is mostly on point with only a few scenes dragged out and its odd to say this, but it's the action scenes that should have been shorter and tighter.

Honestly, I am not sure what more you can ask for from a film about the wasteland....it's all there. I do want a Max film set up like this in this scale and budget.

If I had a critique, it would be the score? Which seemed mostly absent to me, aside from the big violins present in FR. FR has a score that complimented and enhanced the action, I an not sure why that is, because a great acre can elevate a film beyond its parts.

The best thing about the film is how we all know it's a prequel, but it feels like its own story, and it keeps you very interested , even knowing Furiosa is never in real danger. It's more about the journey of her character, rather then the plot of what going to happen.

Wor, your gonna like it, as we both are big MM fans, I think I can say it's fits the world and if your into that post apocalyptic story telling, you won't be disappointed....

Well , it finally got going 30 minutes late.

Are you going to make it Epic?

Yes, yes indeed they did.

I'd give it a solid 8/10. It combines a lot of elements , and feels like TRW, FR, and the Mad Max game rolled into one film.

On the whole, it got more lore and more story than FR, and fleshes out a world that really has not been that well understood (unless you played the game). It was great to see characters from the game included , especially since George has always said it was cannon.

Opening up the world of Mad Max was something that I really think was needed. I personally always wanted to know more about how these gangs worked and interacted, since for me , the society bits really were great.

Taylor Joy and Helmsworth do a great job, with Dementus really stealing the show. The age old , great villain/great story, once again shows how important it is.

Unfortunately this film will always be put under the HeMan woman haters lens, and for those sad souls , they are going to miss a great film, sucks to be them I guess. I don think they can really fault this film with tha garbage though, as it's about a powerful woman who beats all , but it's so well done, it's gonna be hard to keep that narrative alive.

The CGI is VERY wonky in places, (that gate ramming scene is inexcusable, but the reality is , there is NO WAY, Miller could have done MOST of those shots in real time. This is much more fantasy based vehicle battles, and the shots would be near impossible to do for real. He would have had to scale back to the level of FR for that, and I think he wanted to do HUGE world leveling fights, and that is the price of CGI. I think 90% of the CGI is fine. You only know it's CGI because your brain know that the shot is impossible. It does not deter from the moment at all, for most of it. the shots that DO take you out of the moment are pretty quick, and you move on pretty easily as the story is compelling enough.

To me this was more Road Warrior like in tone than FR. It has the weird Australian feel and surreal world and characters, but the colors and scale of FR. Thankfully there is really nothing here from Thunderdome, with the exception of that one Easter egg.

I appreciated the slower scenes , and the drama injected into them. It really gave the world a more grounded feel, of society's trying to exist again, although bastardized.

As always, Miller gets the shots perfect, and the cinematography was spectacular. This is a must see IMAX film. The pacing is mostly on point with only a few scenes dragged out and its odd to say this, but it's the action scenes that should have been shorter and tighter.

Honestly, I am not sure what more you can ask for from a film about the wasteland....it's all there. I do want a Max film set up like this in this scale and budget.

If I had a critique, it would be the score? Which seemed mostly absent to me, aside from the big violins present in FR. FR has a score that complimented and enhanced the action, I an not sure why that is, because a great acre can elevate a film beyond its parts.

The best thing about the film is how we all know it's a prequel, but it feels like its own story, and it keeps you very interested , even knowing Furiosa is never in real danger. It's more about the journey of her character, rather then the plot of what going to happen.

Wor, your gonna like it, as we both are big MM fans, I think I can say it's fits the world and if your into that post apocalyptic story telling, you won't be disappointed....
Great review! :rock

Glad the theater pulled through for ya.

The CGI is VERY wonky in places, (that gate ramming scene is inexcusable,
Did they just have some crew members lightly shaking Hemsworth's cab while zooming the camera quickly on his face to simulate "ramming?" I think they did and my buddy and I were literally laughing about that on the way home. :lol

OMG. You can't help yourself. Your usual rhetoric...

No one has been complaining about that - even all the "usual suspects" you automatically love to label have said they really liked the film.

It just died at the box office because the same reason Andor tanked on Disney Plus - no one gives a **** about secondary characters... plus cost of living,,, plus ticket prices... etc, etc.

Did they just have some crew members lightly shaking Hemsworth's cab while zooming the camera quickly on his face to simulate "ramming?" I think they did and my buddy and I were literally laughing about that on the way home. :lol
It's quite clear Helmsworth was NOT on that set at all. Even the shots after that, which were pretty simple shots of him climbing up the truck, it was clear he was CGI'd into that scene, he was NOT climbing that truck, he was clearly climbing green screen blocks and they superimposed him into that shot. It was terrible.

Same with the Imperetor driving the rig, total off set shots added in.

Come to think of it, I am pretty sure none of the principal actors were on the Bullet Farm set, or they added a lot to that scene post production to get in another action sequence. That whole scene felt tacked on, and it showed in the production.

Oh god, how do you go from Fury Road SFX to that? :lol

On the same budget no less!

OMG. You can't help yourself. Your usual rhetoric...

No one has been complaining about that - even all the "usual suspects" you automatically love to label have said they really liked the film.

It just died at the box office because the same reason Andor tanked on Disney Plus - no one gives a **** about secondary characters... plus cost of living,,, plus ticket prices... etc, etc.
There does seem to be a strong "No Mel, No Money" sentiment, at least on social media, which is too bad considering how captivating Anya Taylor-Joy was in her role.

WOW! Really...?

2nd BEST "Max" film...? Behind only Road Warrior...?
Gosh it's hard to not put the original MM second because it's such a seminal classic but at the end of the day if I've got both discs sitting in front of me 9 times out of 10 I'm sure I'll pick Furiosa so yeah, second place overall.

I agree with xipotec that Fury Road's score is more spectacularly prominent from beginning to end but I give the edge to Furiosa due to the story and scale, which I find to be much more impressive. The fact that Furiosa was written before Fury Road was apparently the secret formula in making a prequel that actually lives up to the implied backstory of the original.

Last edited:
I'd put Furiosa above Fury Road but I love them both so whichever you choose is good in my book. They both offer different things which is nice.
Yeah, I can"t go for that, as a huge MM fan,I think FR is vastly better than Furiosa. But that's my love for FR.

Furiosa is missing the tension of Max and Furiosa that existed between Hardy and Theron. It's palpable in that film, and thier chemistry in that film is perfect. there is nothing like that in Furiosa. The best paring in that film would be Immortan Joe and Dementus scene, which is way too short.

FR is in my list of perfect films, it's a very very short list , obviously TRW is also in that list, but FR is a masterpiece on so many levels, I just watched it the other day and missed a HUGE thead in the story regarding Max"s role as a blood bag throught the entire film.

Yeah, I can"t go for that, as a huge MM fan,I think FR is vastly better than Furiosa. But that's my love for FR.

Furiosa is missing the tension of Max and Furiosa that existed between Hardy and Theron. It's palpable in that film, and thier chemistry in that film is perfect. there is nothing like that in Furiosa. The best paring in that film would be Immortan Joe and Dementus scene, which is way too short.

FR is in my list of perfect films, it's a very very short list , obviously TRW is also in that list, but FR is a masterpiece on so many levels, I just watched it the other day and missed a HUGE thead in the story regarding Max"s role as a blood bag throught the entire film.
Like I said earlier, Fury Road or Furiosa, both great so whichever one ranks higher by any given person makes sense to me.

Except that Khev said Furiosa is BETTER than Fury Road.
1717037513074.gif

To be fair to Khev, I get what he's saying. Furiosa is just bigger in every way, scale, story, characters, world building.

But as far at the better film, I am gonna give it to FR every time.

Back