Statue Gentle Giant 18" Black Widow - Winter Soldier

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe. I feel that even the SSC proto paint doesn't compliment the sculpt.

I think if Hot Toys or Enterbay had those exact same sculpts, but were for plastic figures, the results would be interesting. I think SSC's sculpt, with it's likeness & attitude might be the winner. But at the same time, GG's sculpt does use actual scan data, so who knows?

Seems to be a polystone thing that makes theses things a step behind in lifelike appearance. Although, personally, I see more ScarJo in these, than I do any of the Black Widow Hot Toys figures.

I definately agree with your last sentence. I collect Hot Toys as well. And have most of the Avengers other than Black Widow as I don't think the sculpt is as good as the other Avengers. So got the GG statue instead.

Yeah, getting it kinda throws my toy purchases plan a bit off, but I figured it's the best mass produced ScarJo that I know of, & it didn't seem like the easiest statue to get a hold of at a reasonable price, so I had to make a prompt decision to buy it when I saw it. I am pretty excited about seeing it in person.

Funny story. Since it kinda involves you.

I was browsing MA NZ, saw it in stock, & decided to watch some YouTube videos, look at pics of this piece on the internet, & check the sold listings on eBay. I was really impressed with what I saw, but I knew I had some other things to pay for, & since international buyers aren't really too much of a threat, I wasn't in a super rush to get it.

But then .....

I came on the Freaks forum later to read about this statue, & when I saw you mention MA AU had one in stock, I pretty much rushed back out of here & secured the one on MA NZ :lol Not sure if MA AU & MA NZ shared stock on ScarJo, but I guess I didn't want to risk missing out on it either way.

:rotfl

Sorry about that...kinda.

I do believe MightyApe NZ and AUS share stock. Or rather it pretty much is just NZ, but they ship to Australia but at least we don't get charged Forex rates etc.

And funny story, but originally that single piece was allocated to my preorder, but I ended up cancelling it when a few came into stock at Popcultcha (to my suprise as it wasn't even listed for preorder before it suddenly appeared in stock). Got it for $579.99 less reward points, so I managed to get it a bit cheaper and over a month earlier. :yess:

Anyway congrats on scoring the piece. And I hope your happy with it when you get it in hand.

Sorry about that...kinda.
A friendly nudge might have been what I needed.
I do believe MightyApe NZ and AUS share stock. Or rather it pretty much is just NZ, but they ship to Australia but at least we don't get charged Forex rates etc.
Ahhh, so they are one in the same? Good to know. Seems like I have Ozzy competition :slap :lol
And funny story, but originally that single piece was allocated to my preorder, but I ended up cancelling it when a few came into stock at Popcultcha
Thanks for cancelling :hi5: You didn't get penalised by MA?
Anyway congrats on scoring the piece. And I hope your happy with it when you get it in hand.
Cheers. As long as there are no QC issues, & looks like the ones other peeps got, then I expect I will be quite happy & impressed with this piece in person.

I saw where one guy repainted her hair. It didn't photograph very well. Maybe it looks better in person but I didn't feel motivated to change mine

JediDon? I like the idea, & the hair colour is something I'd like to fix. I would like to see a video of the repaint, rather than pics, because pics can do weird things to statues .....

That's the one. It's a closer color to on-screen but it just isn't working for me, especially the gloss. It might look better in person but the pictures are not convincing.

Raw sculpt vs raw sculpt, I thought the SSC sculpt might have the better likeness. But something happened during the production of both statues, which really changed the outcome.

will-harbottle-blackwidow2.jpg

530487_614429948621675_1933018260_n.jpg

I wouldn't mind owning the SSC piece still, since I prefer mixed media over fully sculpted, but after watching YouTube videos & looking at pics of this GG piece, I felt the urge to buy it. I knew this piece existed, but it wasn't really something I was overly excited for. Not sure why I thought that. Maybe the promo pics didn't impress me? The YouTube videos & 'in hand' pics really make this piece look good.

The ssc portrait looks like Johansen but not in character as Widow.

Raw sculpt vs Raw sculpt. I think the SSC Black Widow sculpt looks great. The only thing I think that killed it vs the GG Black Widow was the paint. SSC BW facial skin tone was way too pale. GG BW skin tone is nice and warm and natural. Hence, the GG had more realism in the resemblance to ScarJo.

The ssc portrait looks like Johansen but not in character as Widow.
Not sure what you mean. Because she's smiling?
Raw sculpt vs Raw sculpt. I think the SSC Black Widow sculpt looks great. The only thing I think that killed it vs the GG Black Widow was the paint. SSC BW facial skin tone was way too pale. GG BW skin tone is nice and warm and natural. Hence, the GG had more realism in the resemblance to ScarJo.
Did anybody try a repaint on the SSC? I'm curious to know if somebody managed to get more out of it.

I've had this idea to have certain worthy SSC polystone sculpts, recast for personal use, in a plastic or resin, & have somebody give it an EB/HT/iMiniMe paint job. Not sure how much detail would be lost from original, to polystone, to plastic/resin though. But it's something I've had floating around.

One might think the you could simply repaint the original polystone sculpts, to get a similar effect that 1/6 figures get, but I do not recall even one time when that has happened. So I'm guessing polystone is the reason.

Funny story. Since it kinda involves you.

I was browsing MA NZ, saw it in stock, & decided to watch some YouTube videos, look at pics of this piece on the internet, & check the sold listings on eBay. I was really impressed with what I saw, but I knew I had some other things to pay for, & since international buyers aren't really too much of a threat, I wasn't in a super rush to get it.

But then .....

I came on the Freaks forum later to read about this statue, & when I saw you mention MA AU had one in stock, I pretty much rushed back out of here & secured the one on MA NZ :lol Not sure if MA AU & MA NZ shared stock on ScarJo, but I guess I didn't want to risk missing out on it either way.

are you from NZ?

Back