Godzilla Minus One - December 1, 2023

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing interesting about the dubbing is that it's not 1:1 with the subtitles, the dubbing changes some of the dialogue from what the subtitles read, so it ends up almost like an alternate version.

What usually ruins dubbings for me is the actual voice actors used, Godzilla films tend to get some ridiculous sounding voices that feel so out of place it ruins the viewing. Shin Godzilla even has some odd voices.

This one did a good job, and apparently Toho themselves were behind this release, so that may be a factor.
Good call out on the voices. I think too often they would try for idealized Japanese voices that often sounded much more anime than real life. I still want to watch it again with the original Japanese voices and English subtitles AND just Japanese with no subtitles. I think two more watches, in that order will be pretty cool...

Saw it on Netflix over the weekend. WOW. Really a fun movie, great story and… Godzilla… just fantastic effects. The ocean chase seen was insane.

Next up need to see the B&W version.
Yeah, that ocean chase scene with his head only partially emerging from the water was powerful. Tense moment that you really feel. So good.

Good call out on the voices. I think too often they would try for idealized Japanese voices that often sounded much more anime than real life. I still want to watch it again with the original Japanese voices and English subtitles AND just Japanese with no subtitles. I think two more watches, in that order will be pretty cool...

I'll watched the dubbed for occasions where it's "easier" than subs, but given the choice, I'll pick subbed more often, the original Japanese performances are just so good.

I'll give credit, the dubbing for the scene after Ginza is destroyed and Shikishima screams is decent, but the original is just gut wrenching and powerful.

I started watching it, been waiting to watch it on vacation with my kids. Son fell asleep so I'm only 30 minutes in but as always I just shook my head. "That poor poor man.". Probably said that 100 times so far.

Saw this last night and it’s really good, great characters and drama. Great FX as well.
Shin Godzilla edges it out for me personally.

Finally had the chance to see this on Netflix, and what a fine movie it is!
Astonishing what passion and knowing the source material can do.

Incidentally, it got me into the Godzilla mood, so I went back to watch the Monsterverse movies. I still really like Godzilla and Skull Island. King of the Monsters is where it starts becoming silly... and I couldn't find Godzilla vs. Kong. Probably for the best.

I've only ever seen the Japanese with subtitles version - 4 times already. I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more with the subtitles.

Someone mentioned that they have also changed some of the English dubbed words from the subtitles? It would be a great if there was a list and an explanation why they would change them. The subtitles "work" perfectly for the characters actions/emotions, etc.

I think in some instances, changes were made to try and make the dub fit with the mouth movements, choosing to try and make it seem like the actors were actually speaking the words rather than just a straight English translation.

Finally watched this last night - with subtitles.:faq

Overall I enjoyed it. Well done drama and excellent Godzilla scenes.

For me I would have liked to have seen one more Godzilla scene before the final act. He disappears from the hour mark and shows up again to get his ass kicked.:monkey1

Finally watched this last night - with subtitles.:faq

Overall I enjoyed it. Well done drama and excellent Godzilla scenes.

For me I would have liked to have seen one more Godzilla scene before the final act. He disappears from the hour mark and shows up again to get his ass kicked.:monkey1
I actually enjoyed the minimalist approach to the scenes that included Godzilla. It made them all that much more "edge of seat" for me. It really is a well done drama...with a monster :)

I actually enjoyed the minimalist approach to the scenes that included Godzilla. It made them all that much more "edge of seat" for me. It really is a well done drama...with a monster :)
Luckily the human drama and characters are done really well. Keeps you invested during that last hour.

1717945961713.png

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

$200 mil for Ant-Man Quantumania?? If only that was true.....

It's been reported to have been $326.6 million in productions costs (and that's also WITHOUT adding in marketing).

They probably spent $200 mil alone on Modok.... :lol

The Disney movies craft services budget probably exceeds $15mil now a days... :lol

Don't know if this really means anything these days (they're able to hype anything to something that it's actually not), but a friend just text me this:

Back