Hannibal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoiler Spoiler:
I won't deny, I didn't really see that coming. I think it was largely because I felt it was kind of explained in the beginning. Though with the ending of s2, I don't think that would have happened.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Great episode. Just when you think it's losing a bit of steam, they pull this off.

Spoiler Spoiler:
The dialogue between those two was just...wow. Really interesting manner of the two in comparison.
Only thing that sucks is, so far the first two episodes (and I'm assuming it'll continue for a few more) have basically had to rewrite episodes from last season since they weren't sure if they were gonna get canceled or not. So they went out with a bang just in case and now they have to fix it all up since they got renewed. :lol

I hadn't really noticed it, though largely because I've been binging on other shows between my finish of S2 and this.

What I'm not a fan of is how they are doing individual episodes based on each character so far. But I suppose knowing what happened after S2 all in one episode would be boring; so it is bittersweet.

I do love how it is doing in Italy; looks amazing! Such beauty and elegance in these episodes. Can't wait for next week! :rock

Italy is incredible. Must go back to Florence. I did the Hannibal tour when I was there, got to stand on the balcony where Pazzi was gutted.

So, are they actually filming in Italy? If so, that's pretty damn impressive for a show that's barely been hanging on these last few years. I still think that NBC needs to create a full blown marketing blitz around Hannibal. It's simultaneously the most elegant and most grotesque police procedural on television.

Italy is incredible. Must go back to Florence. I did the Hannibal tour when I was there, got to stand on the balcony where Pazzi was gutted.
Been wanting to go myself. I'd just be satisfied in crossing the pond alone.
So, are they actually filming in Italy? If so, that's pretty damn impressive for a show that's barely been hanging on these last few years. I still think that NBC needs to create a full blown marketing blitz around Hannibal. It's simultaneously the most elegant and most grotesque police procedural on television.
I guess it isn't. Just checked some info on filming location, and it's mostly listed as Ontario; however, we don't necessarily know since it's mainly based on Season 1 and 2. I'd assumed with the cost of production in Ontario; I'd assumed they'd be able to budget some stuff in Italy. So in all: I don't know the answer. :lol

I actually been wanting to see the show, but I've had issue with various cable companies so I've never been able to see the show. However, I doubt this show is barely hanging, as with the amount of views from On Demand and Hulu is incredible. I'm sure they will continue the series, if not; I will do the most I can to support. It truly is such an elegant show; despite the macabre it's based on.

I plan to get some of my family into it; funny because when I mentioned things like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones they thought I was bat ****ing **** crazy; hopefully that'd change.

They definitely filmed in Florence, I rmember seeing set pics of Mads and Hugh on the Ponte Vecchio bridge. The same bridge Pazzi contemplated calling the cops on Hannibal on!

Bryan Fuller said:
We're actually going to be going to Italy for exteriors," he tells Zap2it. "We're going to be shooting in December in Florence. It's funny because we're turning Toronto into Lithuania, we're turning Toronto into Paris, we're turning Toronto into Florence and Palermo. It's about finding interiors that give us a little bit of history and a little bit of aesthetic that gets us out of the Toronto sphere. ... When you see those exteriors intercut with the interiors, the audience's mind will just make the connection.

Lies.. tv and movies are all LIES!!! :lol

I didn't see that coming!

I liked this episode much better than the first one. Perhaps partly because I can barely understand a word Mads says! :lol

It's such a great show, it's a shame it's not doing well in the ratings. I think it's similar to True Detective (the same gruesome macabre killer genre), but doesn't seem to be getting nearly the same attention. Nothing against TD because it too is a great show, but I like this show better. It manages to add another layer of complexity, style and visual poetry to the stories. I actually wonder if this show would be getting more attention if it was on HBO. Are people quicker to dismiss it because it's on a major network, as if they think it's more watered down because it has to appeal to a broad audience and there is no bad language or nudity, and that those missing elements somehow makes the show less than?

Who knows. But something made people quit watching after episode 2/season 1. That's when the numbers started to drop. I think the only reason why NBC has stuck with it this long even though it does crap numbers is all the critical acclaim it gets.

I didn't see that coming!

I liked this episode much better than the first one. Perhaps partly because I can barely understand a word Mads says! :lol

It's such a great show, it's a shame it's not doing well in the ratings. I think it's similar to True Detective (the same gruesome macabre killer genre), but doesn't seem to be getting nearly the same attention. Nothing against TD because it too is a great show, but I like this show better. It manages to add another layer of complexity, style and visual poetry to the stories.
:exactly:

+1

I actually have to use CC because I too can never understand him. Then again I'm pretty horrible with accent so I watch everything with CC. :lol

Good comparison, I too love TD, and agree on the complexity of Hannibal. It's so elegant and almost classy. Like if I had to go out in a grotesque way, I'd be okay with Hannibal in comparison to something like Jason or Mike Myers. :lol

I actually wonder if this show would be getting more attention if it was on HBO. Are people quicker to dismiss it because it's on a major network, as if they think it's more watered down because it has to appeal to a broad audience and there is no bad language or nudity, and that those missing elements somehow makes the show less than?

Who knows. But something made people quit watching after episode 2/season 1. That's when the numbers started to drop. I think the only reason why NBC has stuck with it this long even though it does crap numbers is all the critical acclaim it gets.

I would imagine the name for HBO, or some of the other premium providers' name carry a lot of attention. I don't necessarily blame them because cable television is ridden with cop procedural. I'd also imagine the idea of cannibalism really puts people off. It's the one taboo people don't root for like corruption and adultery. I imagine they don't quite understand Hannibal, or his character. Which is a pity because seeing the films really adds to it. Which brings me to what Devil is saying.

I think it also has to do with people kind of knowing what happens. In the end we all know Hannibal gets caught by Will and then it leads to what happened in the movies. However, I think what they have done so far is amazing! I didn't expect the way it ended with Will in Season 1, and just as much what I know to happen still be done. I know Bloom to be alive in the films (granted, it was a male), and Crawford as well; I've also heard what led Mason to disfigure himself, but STILL it was such a surprise to see. I'd imagine knowing the end game may put people off; like novels to films adaptations. I just can't understand what could have been in season 2 that put people off. I was sucked in more in S2, than the first.

The only thing that annoys me about the show is the dialogue. Sometimes it gets a bit too artsy fartsy for its own good, as though each line is all philosophical and self-aware. It takes me out of the scene totally.

Yeah sometimes the show is too self-aware for its own good. Too much style that tend to break the flow and get in the way rather than enhancing the narrative and maintaining pace. They need to come down to earth more.

Yeah it can be a bit annoying. Especially between Anderson and Mads. It just seems so aware.

Either way, I was a bit disappointed in this episode. A lot of stuff just didn't seem to flow right. I like the dinner scenes, very disturbing as expected. Chiyoh is eh. I will need to see more before throwing judgement. I like the backstory, and it was nice
Spoiler Spoiler:

-The firefly scene was a bit much. Didn't really have a purpose, unless it's a stag thing like s1 and s2.

I guess it just kind of died for me since the reveal of events of S2 in 302. Hoping we learn more of what happens in Maryland and hopefully this detective can do his ****ing job sheesh. I'm Catholic already man, no need to start adding religious comparisons and ideology. :lol

This whole season is so far. Fuller better not **** up the lifeline he was given and get his own show cancelled. They should pack it with everything, not fill it with Will running around in the dark for 43 minutes.

Just based on the titles for this season's episodes, it looks like the first half of the season will be the current 'artsy fartsy' storyline in Italy. Then it seems that the second half will follow the story of Red Dragon. So only 4 eps of pretentiousness left until we get to the good stuff :lol

Brian Reitzell's score grates on me lately too. It's like he is kicking a bucket around a room and Bryan Fuller is like 'GENIUS!!!'

When they said they were doing the Florence storyline I thought we'd see, you know, Florence.

Back