HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Someone whose last words were "...mommy" before being stabbed to death by his own right-hand man." or something like that.

Yup, united all the north like his father did before him, and just like his father he died, unlike Ned it wasn't for honor but because he fell in love with some exotic girl with no political power. His downfall mirrors that of some great historical figures like Alexander: a young conqueror who made some fatal and avoidable mistakes. Food for fought.

Well Daenerys conquered three cities, freed thousands of slaves, added mercenaries and unsullied to her army, got lots and lots of gold and also dragons with absolutely no right to it. Robb's allies were there because of his family connections. Sure Danny has stumbled upon many hardships but the progress is there, just like Robb she is a great conqueror but kind of a "meh" ruler.

As the late Lord Lannister implied: "Winning and ruling aren't the same thing."
Not sure how speaking "Mother" before you die qualifies one as an idiot, but okay.

Robb had more respect for the love of his life than his deal with the soulless and dishonorable Walder Frey.

The only way Tywin could defeat Robb was by doing some sneaky little backhanded ******** because Robb was kicking his ass and embarrassing him on the battlefield. He had no reason to suspect Walder Frey of betraying him as he'd made the marriage deal with Edmure, and his own mother even states at one point that she knows Walder would never hurt her, or something along those lines.

My thought is that Robb primarily beat himself, and it came down to three things really: 1) following his heart instead of his brains with the wife situation; 2) acting with honor, instead of his brains executing the Karstark and weakening his position among the northern bannermen; and 3) believing in the honor of the Freys, instead of using his brains during the Red Wedding.

In each case, he was a good guy, who lived fairly honorably (beyond his move of agreeing to marry a Frey and then backing out), and had a belief in a system of honor for others--that Karstark shouldn't have killed the Lannister kids, and Frey (and Bolton) should have honored the protection of guests at the wedding. I liked his character a lot, but the message to me was that to survive in this world, you've gotsta use your brains first, and heart and honor second.

My thought is that Robb primarily beat himself, and it came down to three things really: 1) following his heart instead of his brains with the wife situation; 2) acting with honor, instead of his brains executing the Karstark and weakening his position among the northern bannermen; and 3) believing in the honor of the Freys, instead of using his brains during the Red Wedding.

In each case, he was a good guy, who lived fairly honorably (beyond his move of agreeing to marry a Frey and then backing out), and had a belief in a system of honor for others--that Karstark shouldn't have killed the Lannister kids, and Frey (and Bolton) should have honored the protection of guests at the wedding. I liked his character a lot, but the message to me was that to survive in this world,

you've gotsta use your brains first, and heart and honor second.

where did that get Tywin?

tywin-lannister.gif

lol, surprised this gif isn't used more often.

Same situation, really. He died not because he made any grand strategic miscalculations against another family. He underestimated what his pettiness and ego would do to Tyrion. Similar to how Roose Bolton let his ego get in the way regarding Ramsay.

Yeah, this was a good one. Once again, Daenerys was the low point, and more or less a waste of time. :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

Boobies not withstanding I'm two more episodes from giving up on this series. I no longer enjo watching it. Feels more like I have to watch it rather than want to. The writing feels "off", like I'm watching fan fiction. Just my opinion but I'm almost done.

Boobies not withstanding I'm two more episodes from giving up on this series. I no longer enjo watching it. Feels more like I have to watch it rather than want to. The writing feels "off", like I'm watching fan fiction. Just my opinion but I'm almost done.
Well I'm assuming the writers of the show are given a lot more freedom now that they've moved past Martin's last written book. So, his stamp probably isn't as clear here as it was in the past. Though he is a creative consultant on the show, and writes an episode a season.

Back