Hellboy: The Crooked Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Del Toro’s movies are masterpieces compared to this turd.

That Hellboy makeup and costume was legit weekend cosplay.

That cgi….why even bother.

Just horrible.

Del Toro’s movies are masterpieces compared to this turd.

That Hellboy makeup and costume was legit weekend cosplay.

That cgi….why even bother.

Just horrible.
Del Toro's films are great but way to inaccurate to the source material, hence why Mike, and Guillermo had a falling out due to creative differences, we'll never get a third because the studio won't give millions for a film that might not break even (both films before didn't make a lot box office wise). This was faithful and I'm happy with it being that.

Yeah, I'm not saying this was a groundbreaking, super entertaining movie. But I also didn't let the low budget steer me away from enjoying it for what it was. I liked it. More importantly, I didn't absolutely hate it.

Del Toro's films are great but way to inaccurate to the source material, hence why Mike, and Guillermo had a falling out due to creative differences, we'll never get a third because the studio won't give millions for a film that might not break even (both films before didn't make a lot box office wise). This was faithful and I'm happy with it being that.
Yeah.
The ideal scenario for me is if Del Toro accommodates Mignola's creative request, and is more faithful to the comic.
Perlman, Blair, and Jones are great casts. Hellboy 1 made the character worldwide famous, definitely gave the exposure that the comic's deserved.
It is tragic that we can't get him to direct a faithful Hellboy movie with the cast.

Yeah, I'm not saying this was a groundbreaking, super entertaining movie. But I also didn't let the low budget steer me away from enjoying it for what it was. I liked it. More importantly, I didn't absolutely hate it.
I don't hate it either, I just can't enjoy it that much, as a movie.

I think it's a bit of a suicidal move to make a low-budget -even though it's faithful- Hellboy movie like this. I get it, Mignola is happy that he gets to make a movie faithful to his works, has full creative control over it, and he is satisfied with the end result.
We, Hellboy fans who read the comic are also happy for him, many enjoyed the movie too.

But that's just it.. the movie only works for those who read or are familiar with Hellboy comics and lore. It doesn't work well with the general audience, especially those who watched the Del Toro movies. They will automatically compare many things from the two.
The movie is not well received, it's not even played in the theater in some countries and went straight to video/streaming.
The aftermath, the long-term effect is.. as you said, there won't be another live action Hellboy movie for a long time after this one.

Hellboy truly deserves better.. and I hope there will be more movies coming, with a much larger budget, and Mignola on the script with a good screenwriter.

Yeah.
The ideal scenario for me is if Del Toro accommodates Mignola's creative request, and is more faithful to the comic.
Perlman, Blair, and Jones are great casts. Hellboy 1 made the character worldwide famous, definitely gave the exposure that the comic's deserved.
It is tragic that we can't get him to direct a faithful Hellboy movie with the cast.

I don't hate it either, I just can't enjoy it that much, as a movie.

I think it's a bit of a suicidal move to make a low-budget -even though it's faithful- Hellboy movie like this. I get it, Mignola is happy that he gets to make a movie faithful to his works, has full creative control over it, and he is satisfied with the end result.
We, Hellboy fans who read the comic are also happy for him, many enjoyed the movie too.

But that's just it.. the movie only works for those who read or are familiar with Hellboy comics and lore. It doesn't work well with the general audience, especially those who watched the Del Toro movies. They will automatically compare many things from the two.
The movie is not well received, it's not even played in the theater in some countries and went straight to video/streaming.
The aftermath, the long-term effect is.. as you said, there won't be another live action Hellboy movie for a long time after this one.

Hellboy truly deserves better.. and I hope there will be more movies coming, with a much larger budget, and Mignola on the script with a good screenwriter.
I don't think you're gonna please everyone with any Hell Boy film. Regardless of budget. You're absolutely not ever, ever going to get a comic faithful screen adaption from any major studio that gives it a bloated budget.

That's simply not gonna happen under any circumstances. The budget would be the very reason as to why.

I feel Hellboy would work better as a TV series or animated series. They have more freedom to keep it true to the comics while also doing various animations. I'd definitely see it if they kept it self contained stories like the books.

Worgar goes full Crooked Man at the mention of animated series.

1728870232385.gif

I don't think you're gonna please everyone with any Hell Boy film. Regardless of budget. You're absolutely not ever, ever going to get a comic faithful screen adaption from any major studio that gives it a bloated budget.

That's simply not gonna happen under any circumstances. The budget would be the very reason as to why.
Having a movie that is faithful to the comic is not impossible.
Watchmen did a good job, IMHO, even with slight differences. Battle Angel Alita, also done fantastic job translating comic to movie.
There are Hellboy stories that have huge potential to be translated into movies.
We just need a bridge between Mignola (the faithful keeper) and the screenwriter (the general audience side) in order to make it work.

As for the budget.. with a good screenplay, Godzilla Minus One performed very well, even with 5 million USD less than Hellboy.
And Godzilla has a LOT of CGI, even an -in the middle of the city destruction scene- airplanes etc. Definitely much more CGI and special FX than Hellboy the Crooked Man.
So I think it's more of the screenplay, for the case of Hellboy the Crooked Man.

If we can have huge amout of budget.. well, I always imagine Del Toro's Hellboy with the same cast and budget but with a story taken from one of the comics. I think one of the reason why Hellboy 1 is successful is because it still has so many elements from the comics. Sadly it turns into an action-adventure movie instead of a horror-thriller movie like what a Hellboy movie is supposed to be.

I feel Hellboy would work better as a TV series or animated series. They have more freedom to keep it true to the comics while also doing various animations. I'd definitely see it if they kept it self contained stories like the books.
I agree.
An X-Files/True Detective type of TV series with Hellboy and the BPRD tackling down one supernatural case after another, would be awesome.. with the right amount of horror and suspense.

Having a movie that is faithful to the comic is not impossible.
Watchmen did a good job, IMHO, even with slight differences. Battle Angel Alita, also done fantastic job translating comic to movie.
There are Hellboy stories that have huge potential to be translated into movies.
We just need a bridge between Mignola (the faithful keeper) and the screenwriter (the general audience side) in order to make it work.

As for the budget.. with a good screenplay, Godzilla Minus One performed very well, even with 5 million USD less than Hellboy.
And Godzilla has a LOT of CGI, even an -in the middle of the city destruction scene- airplanes etc. Definitely much more CGI and special FX than Hellboy the Crooked Man.
So I think it's more of the screenplay, for the case of Hellboy the Crooked Man.

If we can have huge amout of budget.. well, I always imagine Del Toro's Hellboy with the same cast and budget but with a story taken from one of the comics. I think one of the reason why Hellboy 1 is successful is because it still has so many elements from the comics. Sadly it turns into an action-adventure movie instead of a horror-thriller movie like what a Hellboy movie is supposed to be.

I agree.
An X-Files/True Detective type of TV series with Hellboy and the BPRD tackling down one supernatural case after another, would be awesome.. with the right amount of horror and suspense.
I’m guessing the Japanese labor market is MUCH cheaper than the Hollywood HUGE union labor price tag.

15 million in the Hollywood union labor system pays for a few trailers and avocado on the craft table.

I’m guessing the Japanese labor market is MUCH cheaper than the Hollywood HUGE union labor price tag.

15 million in the Hollywood union labor system pays for a few trailers and avocado on the craft table.
Oh yes, that is also a factor, that's why the first Hellboy movie was shot in Prague.
Many film productions were located abroad for this reason, as well as many other reasons (tax, etc).
So it's very possible to keep the budget lower by doing this trick. Maybe hire those cheap Japanese labor to make better CGI?

But my point is, not about the budget, it's about the screenplay.
There are cheap movies but with great screenplays, that won awards and performed wonderfully at the box office (Rocky, Halloween, etc).

A bloated Hollywood budget from a major studio will never allow for a strictly comic faithful film. Exec's aren't familiar nor do they care about the source material. Directors and producers are (generally) on the hook for what the studio expects. What they do want, is a blockbuster with well known (and expensive) talent starring in them. Lot's of CGI and action. Those are where the budget go. They're not interested in following the source material because it would dictate what they can use that budget for. They would do it the opposite way. They would let the budget dictate the screen play to accommodate all the nonsense they want to include in it.

A bloated Hollywood budget from a major studio will never allow for a strictly comic faithful film. Exec's aren't familiar nor do they care about the source material. Directors and producers are (generally) on the hook for what the studio expects. What they do want, is a blockbuster with well known (and expensive) talent starring in them. Lot's of CGI and action. Those are where the budget go. They're not interested in following the source material because it would dictate what they can use that budget for. They would do it the opposite way. They would let the budget dictate the screen play to accommodate all the nonsense they want to include in it.
Yep,
I agree. And that's what happened to the first movie. A successful one, but less faithful.

That's why for me, the low budget is not the problem.. again, it's the screenplay.
Need to translate from comic language to the movie screen language. :)

Back