Hot Toys Bespin Han speculation thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got him for the pants and the mynock:lol

Eh, cut/sew is pretty dated and stripes aren't fine enough (the Medicom ROTJ Han's the only one that got that right for ESB or ROTJ) and the mynock's a bit too small.

I do like the gunbelt (with new buckle) and the blaster, which still hold up pretty well even today. The boots aren't terrible for basic plastic boots, though they work better for Luke because they are a bit too short.

All the rest is dumpster, preferably with the head in a brown paper bag to ensure it's never seen again.:lol

Good grief. Maybe Ford has approval, maybe he doesn’t. It’s not a “conspiracy theory,” just one speculation. Lucas was shrewd and had foresight, so it’s entirely possible the actor likeness rights belong to Lucasfilm, which I guess now means Disney. It?s also possible that given Ford’s star power he could have renegotiated the merchandising rights associated with his likeness at some point over the years. Or maybe, as ridiculous as it might seem, Hot Toys is indeed butt hurt over Ford destroying their figure on TV. Who knows? I do find it hard to believe the holdup is because Hot Toys hasn’t been able to settle on a sculpt. They’ve had no problem putting out 85% likenesses in the past, and there are at least two or three sculptors they could hire who have done very nice Fords. Keep in mind Hot Toys has to get licensor approval, so I think the ball is with Lucas/Disney. Who knows if Ford is somehow in that equation, but Han is the only one of the main three that seems to lag. That said, maybe the simplest answer is the correct one: Hot Toys will produce Bespin Han, they just haven’t gotten to that version of the character yet because other figures are currently a higher priority on their schedule.

Edit: one last thing. I’ve know sculptors who’ve had to deal with getting likeness approvals from actors or their estates. It can hold up production for months or longer. That might not be the case here, but it is part of the process.

Last edited:
Hot Toys will produce Bespin Han, they just haven?t gotten to that version of the character yet because other figures are currently a higher priority on their schedule.

That's very likely. There are hotter licenses and characters to produce right now. Many people will still buy Bespin Han in the future. Not so many people will be buying Mando figures if the hype dies down and especially if they botch season 2 (please don't :pray:).

Well we older OT fans aren't getting any younger....[emoji1]

I'm sure Bespin Han will come eventually. And I'll likely buy one. But I gave HT till the 40th anniversary to show it. I really expected to see Bespin Han and Lando (ok guys whats the hold up with Lando, then?)

This year for SDCC ("Sideshow Con"), but another let down.

Been waiting since HT did DX07 Luke. So I decided to bit the bullet and go custom route.

Yunsil clothing set. Robbie blaster/rig/belt. Waiting on Inigo Bespin Han sculpt...

And with my current Yunsil/Inigo Indy I figured Han needed the same treatment.

Then I'll likely turn my current Bespin bash into Endor Han. Swap sculpts. Trade out the jacket for the vest. Get me an Endor Trench Coat and I'll be set.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think you're all missing the most obvious scenario. Ford has the likeness rights but is also a big time 1/6 collector and was so furious by the poor likeness on the ANH figure that he decided to destroy it on live TV to shame Hot Toys.

But he failed to deter them, and while they keep producing amazing sculpt after amazing sculpt to show him, he just keeps saying no time and again, spurned that they could get B+ list actor Ben Mendhelson's likeness spot-on but fail so miserably with young Han (not to mention Indy).

Kidding aside, it is interesting that when HT officially got the license they kicked things off with Han/Chewie, so maybe that late show appearance did irk them. Didn't stop them from putting out an A+ TFA Han after that though. Seems like they hate that new Chewie actor though, actually, with that rough looking TFA version and then the ****-canned Solo version -- or maybe that guy has Chewie likeness rights?

and while they keep producing amazing sculpt after amazing sculpt to show him

This is where you lost me.

:lol

I'll believe they can sculpt an amazing Harrison Ford likeness when I actually see them do it.

Didn't stop them from putting out an A+ TFA Han after that though.

This was Howard's great revenge. Their most accurate Han Solo sculpt showcases Harrison Ford's old age and celebrates his character being killed. They even included an Easter egg. If you remove the clothes you'll find that every figure has a lightsaber hole in its stomach.

Seriously though, I give TFA sculpt more of a B/B+. Much better than ANH but still has some issues.

I think you're all missing the most obvious scenario. Ford has the likeness rights but is also a big time 1/6 collector and was so furious by the poor likeness on the ANH figure that he decided to destroy it on live TV to shame Hot Toys.

But he failed to deter them, and while they keep producing amazing sculpt after amazing sculpt to show him, he just keeps saying no time and again, spurned that they could get B+ list actor Ben Mendhelson's likeness spot-on but fail so miserably with young Han (not to mention Indy).

Kidding aside, it is interesting that when HT officially got the license they kicked things off with Han/Chewie, so maybe that late show appearance did irk them. Didn't stop them from putting out an A+ TFA Han after that though. Seems like they hate that new Chewie actor though, actually, with that rough looking TFA version and then the ****-canned Solo version -- or maybe that guy has Chewie likeness rights?
[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Seriously though I truly believe Disney/Lucasfilm are very influential in what companies are allowed to produce and when.

It could just boil down to Disney/Lucasfilm say NO Han right now. They have access to "X", "Y" and "Z" right now.

You can't do "A", "B" and "C" until we say you can. Type deal.

A lot of it is marketing and Disney/Lucasfilm (and HT for that matter) know that certain characters will sell well regardless of when they drop.

I do find it puzzling that we got Endor Leia and Wicket so soon when they could have waited for Jedis 40th. And focused more on Empire like Hasbro is doing now.

And very shocked we got a Jedi Deluxe so close to the release of the V1. That too could have been a 40th Jedi release.

Sorry Chronos but you are the one who is wrong on this point. Best not call people pouty children because they stick to the points. It?s not a good look.

I'm sure Bespin Han will come eventually. And I'll likely buy one. But I gave HT till the 40th anniversary to show it. I really expected to see Bespin Han and Lando (ok guys whats the hold up with Lando, then?)

I’ve been wondering that for years. My guess is HT doesn’t see Lando as a particularly big seller. They might have one in the works but it’s probably not a high priority. I think it will be one of those figures that just unexpectedly pops up during the year as opposed to something that debuts at one of the shows.

This is where you lost me.

[emoji38]

I'll believe they can sculpt an amazing Harrison Ford likeness when I actually see them do it.

This was Howard's great revenge. Their most accurate Han Solo sculpt showcases Harrison Ford's old age and celebrates his character being killed. They even included an Easter egg. If you remove the clothes you'll find that every figure has a lightsaber hole in its stomach.

Seriously though, I give TFA sculpt more of a B/B+. Much better than ANH but still has some issues.
Both by a former HT sculptor.

Not sure why they weren't the lead sculptor on the DX05. [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848] Screenshot_20200816-205340.jpgScreenshot_20200816-205327.jpg

Sorry Chronos but you are the one who is wrong on this point. Best not call people pouty children because they stick to the points. It?s not a good look.

We fought, agreed to disagree and moved on. People are still split on it and no one has any solid evidence as to the contracts that have been signed, the deals in place, or the actual reason(s) behind the delay.

I did note my part in the childish antics.

tenor.gif

This year for SDCC ("Sideshow Con"), but another let down.

Been waiting since HT did DX07 Luke. So I decided to bit the bullet and go custom route.

Yunsil clothing set. Robbie blaster/rig/belt. Waiting on Inigo Bespin Han sculpt...

And with my current Yunsil/Inigo Indy I figured Han needed the same treatment.

Then I'll likely turn my current Bespin bash into Endor Han. Swap sculpts. Trade out the jacket for the vest. Get me an Endor Trench Coat and I'll be set.

We should get al sharpton on the case for lando. He may get things done for us. We might even get a hot toys skiff and General lando.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back