1/6 Hot Toys-MMS 236-TDK Armory (with Batman, Alfred, and Bruce Wayne Figures)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says in the instructions they can be moved up and down slightly and they naturally have some movement in any direction

How's it goin everyone :wave

Been a while since I posted in at the DC section, though I lurk in from time to time since I had quite a busy schedule late last year. :panic:

Anyways, I just opened up the set, and I must say, the Bruce Wayne figure and Alfred are both a huge disappointment. Especially with what they had achieved so far in terms of tailoring in the DX11. Bruce's were the worst, almost feels like I'm handling a DID or Dragon 1/6 figure from the 09 era. I feel like either HT didn't care, or whoever is in charge of the tailoring didn't bother researching the correct color of suit, shirt and shoes. I mean, these images are easily found online these days. :duh

The Bat suit feels somewhat similar to the DX12 ones. And the thigh carbon detailing aside, I don't think they did any other fixes. I've seen some pics that make the new head look decent, but I was immediately disappointed when I pulled off the plastic cover on the head. The cowl still had the incorrect shape, and mouth plates looks similar to the 1/4 scale ones, but when I put them in the cowl, it just doesn't do it for me. I Still prefer my modded DX12 with the Kai / medicom mouthplate, even though I do prefer the smaller eye lids of the armory ver cowl.

Those cons aside, the armory is what I had expect from HT. It's detailed and cut to precision down to the small accessories, and fit perfectly. Though I hate the fact that they got the lighting wrong too, as it's orange when it's supposed to be white. I'm just displaying the suit inside the armory now. Gonna prolly get rid of bruce and Alfred. And also the PERs head.

the lighting wrong too, as it's orange when it's supposed to be white.

Sounds like maybe you got the Halloween version or you need to get your eyes checked. ;) Maybe you'd prefer the LEDs to be cool white (instead of warm) - but that wouldn't be right and would look very stark and out of place.

WRT to the other stuff, you're not wrong in your assessment, but this was, from the beginning, very obviously a budget/value release. Three complete figures and an armory for under $600, something had to give. The figures can be futzed to look pretty close to the prototype images and the Michael Cane sculpt is IMO, one of the best Hot Toys have ever produced. My Bruce Wayne is set aside for eventual resale.

I blame Alfred. The whole thing was, after all, his idea.

bruceandalfred.jpg

This is why I only got the Armoury/Alfred set. Even then I wasn't sure about Alfred. Having the DX11 I already have a Bruce sculpt and I was never going to display that sculpt not on a bat suit. I'm just not a fan of figures in plain clothes as they inevitable end up looking (more) like dolls to me. I made an exception for Alfred but I'm sill not sure. The Alfred sculpt is great, but those eyes, he looks like the walking dead. People complained about the lifeless eyes on TWS Black Widow, but Alfred's look 3 days dead. He looks ok on a shelf from viewing distance though and does add to the Armoury's presence.

Sounds like maybe you got the Halloween version or you need to get your eyes checked. ;) Maybe you'd prefer the LEDs to be cool white (instead of warm) - but that wouldn't be right and would look very stark and out of place.

WRT to the other stuff, you're not wrong in your assessment, but this was, from the beginning, very obviously a budget/value release. Three complete figures and an armory for under $600, something had to give. The figures can be futzed to look pretty close to the prototype images and the Michael Cane sculpt is IMO, one of the best Hot Toys have ever produced. My Bruce Wayne is set aside for eventual resale.

The top two pics are screengrab, and the bottom is the HT ver:

image.jpg

You will never see in the screen grabs the slight yellow cast of the lights they're using, but they're not the same temp as cool LEDs. In the photo of the armory, warmness of the LEDs is super-exagerated. Still not orange, but exaggerated and not true to life at all. I've got the armory set up in my bat cave and the lighting looks great, especially because all the accessories are gold colored. It would look even closer to the movie sample had I set it up with a white lit ceiling.

I have the cool LED set up on my display as well. And the contrast is distracting. :panic:

Hold up, pics in a bit.

Btw, how much are Wayne, Alfred and the PERS head going for currently? Thinking of dumping them asap as I don't want them to be taking up the space. :lol

I have the cool LED set up on my display as well. And the contrast is distracting. :panic:

Oh, I totally agree there, once you start mixing the two, especially if their temps are very different and there's little chance for the light to mix, you'll amplify the differences. I'm using only warm LEDs in my Bat cave, not counting the colored ones that light the bat logo which are currently set to a fire-orange. The LEDs on the armory don't stick out like in your photo and anyone looking at them wold just see them as white.

It's like typical home lighting, not too many people would walk into a room and remark that the lighting was too orange - we're very accustomed to warm lighting. But when you start mixing warm and cool together in close proximity, especially with the visible bulbs/LEDs, all bets are off.

You should apply a strip in front of your Detolfs to hide the LEDs.

Looks great, even though I am not a fan of the Nolan Batman Universe.
If only the would release a Burton Universe 1989 Batcave set:

Costume in Safe Chamber
Alfred (Michael Gough)
Bruce Wayne (Michael Keaton- jeans and black turtleneck).

Judging by this value set, those blue jeans and turtle neck would probably be cheap and look awful.

Typical/expected HT prices for separate releases would have broken down like this on the low side:

Bruce = $200
Alfred = $200
Batman = $250
Armory = $180
---------------------
Total = $830
=============

I paid $575 for that set.

On the more realistic side, given 2014/2015 prices, I would venture to use these numbers instead:

Bruce = $220
Alfred = $240
Batman = $290
Armory = $220
---------------------
Total = $970
=============

The price difference has to be accounted for somewhere. Less packaging, re-use of the same designs, molds & parts, looks like cheaper plastic and finish on the bodies, etc.

Last edited:
Typical/expected HT prices for separate releases would have broken down like this on the low side:

Bruce = $200
Alfred = $200
Batman = $250
Armory = $180
---------------------
Total = $830
=============

I paid $575 for that set.

On the more realistic side, given 2014/2015 prices, I would venture to use these numbers instead:

Bruce = $220
Alfred = $240
Batman = $290
Armory = $220
---------------------
Total = $970
=============

The price difference has to be accounted for somewhere. Less packaging, re-use of the same designs, molds & parts, looks like cheaper plastic and finish on the bodies, etc.

The armory parted-out has been selling for pretty low. Don't know if it will be going up soon but I haven't had much luck selling mine for more than $125. :gah:

Nothing wrong with TDK, but there's just too many figures. If this is doing poorly, I can't even imagine how the Gordon/Blake set will sell. Or that Bat.

Back