Hot Toys MMS 692 + 693 BATMAN (1989) 1/6 scale Batman 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is that the stock cape ? Ironed ?

If that's the ticket, then I'll do that as well to get Issue #2 "crappy cape" of this figure fixed. Of course with a towel over it to prevent burning of the thin material.

I just want it to hang straight like in many of the movie stills.

Yeah, it's the stock cape ironed

Mine has finally arrived.

... And you'll have to excuse me for gushing. These are my "fresh out of the box" first impressions.
IMG_6819edit.jpg

I love him.

Okay, so I acknowledge that the nostalgia bias is HUGE with this figure. '89 Batman is "my Batman". I was hearing the Danny Elfman theme in my head the entire time I was unboxing him. The very first action figure I ever recall purchasing was the old Kenner movie figure. And the very first Hot Toys figure I ever wanted - and absolutely couldn't afford at the time - was the original DX09 Batman, and I always was bummed missing out on him.

So I was elated when the 2.0 was announced. Now, I watched the reviews and so I had some pretty good ideas of the pros and cons of this figure, knowing it wasn't a total homerun, but I doubted I'd find it to be a disaster either.

Now, with it in hand, I'm actually far more impressed than my measured anticipation would have led me to believe. Obviously the big elephant in the room is the suit texture, and I fully understand those that wanted a more screen-accurate smoother sculpt. In-person, I don't think it's nearly as bad as I was expecting. I even sort of like it, as from normal viewing distance it's not that noticeable and yet it still has this sort of leather texture to it that gives it a gritty feel, which may just be memories of my grainy VHS tape playing over in my head.

I saw some videos where the suit really hindered poseability too, yet others where he was able to hold his poses better. I lucked out, as mine can actually hold some arm and leg poses fairly well without it snapping back. However, I was always going to have him standing strong in a more neutral pose and hoping the cape could provide the dynamism I was looking for.

I know the original cape was garbage, so I was curious how this one would fare. I know a lot of collectors will prefer the Jaxon drape capes, but I like to make them dynamic, let them flow and give them character. Thankfully, this adequately does the job. While Hot Toys' Moon Knight remains the gold standard for poseable capes (and what a figure THAT is!), I was able to get some really good poses out of this one. I wish the wires were a tad stronger to give it some lift, but it's a minor complaint. I was able to get it back into a good drape position as well, but having it blow in the wind will remain my go-to visual, and it'll make "reposing" as simple as giving him a new cape position from time to time to keep it fresh.

Also, at least for me, I can see the Keaton likeness. I wasn't sure at first, based on certain angles and lighting, but in-person I have no major objections. Though, yes, I don't intend on using the open-mouth lips one anytime soon.

We'll see how I feel after the honeymoon period is over, but this is THE character and figure I got into 1/6 collecting for the most, and now he's here. He looks great on the shelf, great with my collection, and my inner child and adult self are equally excited and satisfied. It's not a perfect figure, and there are some tweaks I would have made, but I would be lying if I said it's not currently one of my favorite figures to own.

I give Batman '89 a score of 89/100.

Last edited:
Back