Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Warning to Collectors of Hot Toys Rubber Figures

I found this picture from a collector on Facebook and reminded me of a very good tip to pass on.

531375_496757877008484_743441539_n.jpg

Other than the obvious cracked rubber (which is a whole other problem in itself), notice the two circular indents on the crotch. Thats from the Hot Toys stand "cradle" that goes between the thighs of their figures. I noticed the same indents on one of my Batman figures as well when I first got it. I wanted to let everyone know that doesn't already...with figures that have a rubber lower body such as the Batman figures, make sure that the stand cradle IS NOT touching the crotch AT ALL. The rubber is very soft and with the cradle putting pressure against it, its only a matter of time that this happens to the figure, and it wont go away after only a short time. I suggest making sure the cradle is adjusted as low as you can get it, and make sure the legs are pinched against it...as long as its not too tight.

Just wanted to help some people out that might not know this information.

:peace

I recently checked my DX-02 and it has the SAME cracking/spliting on the legs. It has been untouched in a Detolf on display for almost 2 years. Looks like the new TDKR Batman body swap will be my only hope.

I think it's the excess handling, most every HT rubber bodied figure has at least one person showing 75 photos of their figure in all kinds of crazy poses, making them fight their other toys etc. With figures like Leonidas, I bought him, posed him in a neutral stance and no one has physically touched it since I put it in my cabinet.

Fingers and hands get oily, you touch the rubber bodies and play with a HT fig like an action figure and those oils are going to help degrade the rubber faster.

I know this is not ALWAYS the case, but the excess posing photos don't lie!

I unfortunately posed by DX02 with a slight squat and had the arms out a little and left it sit like that, nothing too extreme mind you. checked on it late last summer and found both armpits and the each leg split on the suit. I actually felt sick to my stomach. Not what you want to see when it is one of your favorite figures.

I think it's the excess handling, most every HT rubber bodied figure has at least one person showing 75 photos of their figure in all kinds of crazy poses, making them fight their other toys etc. With figures like Leonidas, I bought him, posed him in a neutral stance and no one has physically touched it since I put it in my cabinet.

Fingers and hands get oily, you touch the rubber bodies and play with a HT fig like an action figure and those oils are going to help degrade the rubber faster.

I know this is not ALWAYS the case, but the excess posing photos don't lie!

I have not touched my figure since the day I got it 2 years ago. Set him up in the stance I wanted and put it in the Detolf where it remained UNTOUCHED. Took him out the day they announced the Rises DX and noticed the rubber was cracking/splitting.

Re: Warning to Collectors of Hot Toys Rubber Figures

531375_496757877008484_743441539_n.jpg

I have a MMS-71, no signs of damage or deterioration. Instead of using HT's cradle wire I shaped a length of stiff wire into a hook shape and looped it through the small bracket on the back of the belt.

Are the new DKR figures supposed to be resilient to this problem? If not, Ill not be buying one. Im not a big enough Batman fan to pay that kind of cash and have it crack or crumble or whatever the hell is going on.

For the money fans dish out for this stuff, IT SHOUD NOT SPLIT OR BREAK DOWN AT ALL!!!!! It's just another sign of Hot Toys using inferior materials for the cheapest they can get it for and throwing it out there. It just makes me sick because this stuff can be avoided. In all reality, if this is the only material they can use, it should come with some kind of disclaimer saying "This toy will be useless in about a year".
I know i will get a lot of flack for saying all of this, but keep in mind, I'm just trying to keep the best interest in mind for all of us collectors. We shouldn't be taken for all of this. I really don't know what can be done exactly, but still we should get what we pay for.
By the way, I had a Batman Begins Batman figure that I wanted to keep, but deep down I knew that I had to part with it because there was bound to be problems. It just sucks.

All rubber breaks down. Not just rubber made by Hot Toys.
Really? In one- two years? I guess I gotta buy new tires, new shoes, all new action figures, a new basketball.....................................
Please don't take offense, but c'mon

Really? In one- two years? I guess I gotta buy new tires, new shoes, all new action figures, a new basketball.....................................

1year....1000years...lets not split hairs here

For the money fans dish out for this stuff, IT SHOUD NOT SPLIT OR BREAK DOWN AT ALL!!!!! It's just another sign of Hot Toys using inferior materials for the cheapest they can get it for and throwing it out there. It just makes me sick because this stuff can be avoided. In all reality, if this is the only material they can use, it should come with some kind of disclaimer saying "This toy will be useless in about a year".
I know i will get a lot of flack for saying all of this, but keep in mind, I'm just trying to keep the best interest in mind for all of us collectors. We shouldn't be taken for all of this. I really don't know what can be done exactly, but still we should get what we pay for.
By the way, I had a Batman Begins Batman figure that I wanted to keep, but deep down I knew that I had to part with it because there was bound to be problems. It just sucks.

You shouldn't get a lot of anything for stating that. Although there are a few douchebags who seem to have limitless cash to spend on toys. It is total BS that they break down like that, I would be pissed as hell and yes I do have the discipline to just not buy another thing from them and be a total pain in their ass if need be. They should at the very least guarantee people and fans who spend that kind of money that they stand behind their own product and replace damaged/defective pieces. ANY good company would give you that much.

No offense taken. But if you look closely at any of the items you listed, they have hairline cracks and flaws that would ruin a batman suit. Also they are functional items that have layers of materials bonded to the rubber to keep it intact.

No offense taken. But if you look closely at any of the items you listed, they have hairline cracks and flaws that would ruin a batman suit. Also they are functional items that have layers of materials bonded to the rubber to keep it intact.

:exactly: :goodpost: All rubber deteriorates. And shoes and basketballs DO have to be replaced in 1 to 2 years. Tires have inches of layers of rubber, so obviously those last longer.

I just want everybody to have something that they can always look at and feel happy about, rather than them worrying about their extremely expensive investment. Maybe that's not possible sometimes, but I honestly think that Hot Toys is laughing at all of us behind closed doors. Sometimes I really wish I wouldn't be so invested in the hobby. But what can I say...I like useless toys as much as the next dork.
It's like I said before. I just want everybody to be happy. Sounds cheese, but I'm tired of everybody stressing so much about this stuff as well as other things.
To tell the truth, I have a newfound respect/love for smaller cheeper figures. Yeah, they don't look as good, but I did manage to get all Iron Mans 1-6, plus War machine 6 inch figures for less than one Hot Toys Iron Man. Pretty awesome, and I'm not flipping out if one falls off the shelf.
I do have a Mk. IV 1/6, but I have to worry about pink draws??? Ugh...

The first muscle bodies that they came out with were rubber and deteriorated quickly. Rubber was used on the dome of the ED-209 which also deteriorated. After that I had heard HT had switched to using a silicone based material instead of rubber on their muscle bodies and presumably Batman suits, etc. because it was supposed to last a lifetime. Yet we are still seeing cracking and splitting of this so-called "silicone." Can anybody confirm that the Batman suit is indeed made from silicone and not rubber?

I have a friend with the Mego Admiral Kirk from ST:TMP. He's never taken it out of the box. The rubber head has turned green and is sticky to the touch.

It doesn't matter if you seal them up, put them in a smoke free room, or hire an exorcist. They will last however long they last. The (un)lucky combination of material chemistry and release agents will be kinder to some that others. You may as well enjoy them while they last.

If you can't deal with it, don't buy.

Back