Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend with the Mego Admiral Kirk from ST:TMP. He's never taken it out of the box. The rubber head has turned green and is sticky to the touch.

It doesn't matter if you seal them up, put them in a smoke free room, or hire an exorcist. They will last however long they last. The (un)lucky combination of material chemistry and release agents will be kinder to some that others. You may as well enjoy them while they last.

If you can't deal with it, don't buy.

But that's kind of a cop out statement. These things are breaking down in 1-2 years after buying them. That Mego Captain Kirk is over 30 years old and cost a fraction of the price we paid for these "high-end" collectibles. All we asking for is that the most durable materials are used to preserve the integrity of the piece for as long as physically possible. Silicone is supposedly more durable to environmental temperatures and UV resistant and therefore shouldn't be deteriorating as quickly as it apparently has been which suggests that rubber NOT silicone was used as a manufacturing cost-cutting corner. That is why I would like some verification of the actual materials being used because I think Hot Toys has been misleading its customers about the materials they use.

It's not meant to be a cop out. I'm sure HT asks their suppliers for an estimate of material durability over time. They aren't chemists.

And as I said earlier, my Batman MMS71 looks the same as they day I took him out of the box.

It's not meant to be a cop out. I'm sure HT asks their suppliers for an estimate of material durability over time. They aren't chemists.

And as I said earlier, my Batman MMS71 looks the same as they day I took him out of the box.

As much as they rape us for, they should hire some damn chemists! They sure can afford it. I don't want to hear that bs about how Hot Toys barely makes a profit. I'm sick of hearing that crap. I know for a fact that they make a 200% profit selling at wholesale.

They should use something silicone based. There have been major leaps in products like this which are resistant to discoloring or wearing and breaking down. To just say that they aren't chemists is a copout, they are the ones designing the ____ and getting rich off of hard working people who usually have limited means to even buy collectibles.

They should use something silicone based. There have been major leaps in products like this which are resistant to discoloring or wearing and breaking down. To just say that they aren't chemists is a copout, they are the ones designing the ____ and getting rich off of hard working people who usually have limited means to even buy collectibles.

They never will, just for the simple fact of cost. Could they still profit by using less inferior material, but that would cut into their gold helicopter funds.
Oh, by the way, I agree with you 100%, but I'm pretty sure some jerkoff is gonna rant about "If you don't like it, don't buy it". Great advice, and dully noted. Last time I checked, companies want customers, not piss them off.

They never will, just for the simple fact of cost. Could they still profit by using less inferior material, but that would cut into their gold helicopter funds.
Oh, by the way, I agree with you 100%, but I'm pretty sure some jerkoff is gonna rant about "If you don't like it, don't buy it". Great advice, and dully noted. Last time I checked, companies want customers, not piss them off.

I think you get a little too angry bud. Calm down.
And I think its a little ironic that you still buy the figures for as much complaining as you're doing. :lol

I feel guilty...I have 3 HT Aliens, 2 Batmen & 1 Hellboy and none of them have any problems.

What am I doing wrong?

still have 2 doggy aliens. rubber suit sux, 1 had paint peel/luster issue got restored after some mod podge. i still love'em. :]

Really? In one- two years? I guess I gotta buy new tires, new shoes, all new action figures, a new basketball.....................................
Please don't take offense, but c'mon

even condoms have expiry dates. :]

Re: Warning to Collectors of Hot Toys Rubber Figures

I found this picture from a collector on Facebook and reminded me of a very good tip to pass on.

531375_496757877008484_743441539_n.jpg

Other than the obvious cracked rubber (which is a whole other problem in itself), notice the two circular indents on the crotch. Thats from the Hot Toys stand "cradle" that goes between the thighs of their figures. I noticed the same indents on one of my Batman figures as well when I first got it. I wanted to let everyone know that doesn't already...with figures that have a rubber lower body such as the Batman figures, make sure that the stand cradle IS NOT touching the crotch AT ALL. The rubber is very soft and with the cradle putting pressure against it, its only a matter of time that this happens to the figure, and it wont go away after only a short time. I suggest making sure the cradle is adjusted as low as you can get it, and make sure the legs are pinched against it...as long as its not too tight.

Just wanted to help some people out that might not know this information.

:peace

That's been shoved in hard though. Look how deep it's been bedded in. Really doesn't look like the type of collector that takes great care of their stuff.

You shouldn't get a lot of anything for stating that. Although there are a few douchebags who seem to have limitless cash to spend on toys.

.....................................!

It is total BS that they break down like that, I would be pissed as hell and yes I do have the discipline to just not buy another thing from them and be a total pain in their ass if need be.
Regardless of the poor quality of rubber. You don't even know the truth behind that figure.

How do you know it's not been played with and man handled a lot? or the environment it's been kept in. Some people ramp up their heating.

I really think the rubber deterioration has to do with the display conditions.

I have quite a few rubber figures, and even though i don't do "extreme" poses, all of them have an arm or 2 bent and its been kept that way.

My Dutch has an arm holding a cigar to his mouth, and its been like that for 2-3 years since i got him, not a crack to be seen.

What i mean about display conditions is depending on where you live which determines the humidity of the area. If your living in really dry places say... Las Vegas or Arizona, then yeah, the oils in the rubber might dry out quickly and start to crack.

Also, how much natural sunlight are they exposed to? Are there lights in the display cabinet that are directly aiming on the figures? How roughly do you pose your figures? These all factor in the longevity of the rubber.

I really think everyone who posted concern in this thread should contact Hot Toys and tell them to fix this problem if they still want your business. Before the naysayers start belittling the power of the consumer speaking out you should understand that they are in the business of making things people buy. If they got as many emails as they are responses in this thread, saying they won't buy any more rubberized items until they fix the deterioration issues, it would certainly get their attention. It's worth a try, costs nothing and might help actually solve the problem.

Sean

Listen to this man! :lecture You have to talk with your wallet for them to REALLY hear you...

:thwak
I think you get a little too angry bud. Calm down.
And I think its a little ironic that you still buy the figures for as much complaining as you're doing. :lol

How does stating facts come across as angry? And even if I'm angry, so what. We all are. I'm just not afraid to say so.
Also, I really don't buy much these days so I don't know where you got that I do.:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:thwak

Last edited:
:thwak

How does stating facts come across as angry? And even if I'm angry, so what. We all are. I'm just not afraid to say so.
Also, I really don't buy much these days so I don't know where you got that I do.:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:thwak

Then you're complaining about ____ you dont have or buy. :lol

I bought a brand new Chris redfield STARS version. Rubber feel really gummy lol but that is the standard feel for it.. I mean im just talking about the different in feel of it vs plastic such as iron man or wesker skin. but anyways i also got a Leonidas from Hotchixcooltoy in a trade :D and the figure is in perfect condition.
None of the two rubber body figures mentioned above has any type of deterioration... not sure why other people have issues with them, but then again I pose them as carefully as I can and I grab the arms or body parts im moving as close as i can to the join to put the less pressure on them. i really dont see any issues yet. HT instructions do mention couple of things NOT TO DO with the articulation and how to pose the figures, maybe that is something to look at before posing?

My Abe Sapiens arms are cracking. Never been bent never been displayed. Still in box. The rubber on my Mars attacks figures is literally crumbling.
Again not even bent in position, just standing in a detolf. I live in a cool temperate country with little sunlight. None on my displays. This is air deterioration. Badly produced rubber which is chemically breaking down. Not all their rubber figures have problems which just demonstrates its NOTHING to do with improper handling or display.

I think it is just luck of the draw depending what batch you got, how hot your climate is, what case you put them in, humidity etc.
That is what I gather from this and other threads.

I have a few first blood rambos and no problems at all but have heard the rambo first blood part2 bodies which look more orangey have the most issues.
If you have a rambo part 2 I'd sell the body and replace with a part 1 or equivilant.
Thought the cup of water and silica idea was a bit mad myself but if it works it works for you.
I reckon sunlight has got to be a big factor though as detolfs must act like a greenhouse, so either display away from the light or buy some tinting film which you can get cheaply for car windows.
Some of the tints are illegal to use in cars as they cut out so much light, maybe this is a solution to the problem, dunno.

Back