Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pleather is total crap. Anything pleather has the same cracking issues, not just collectibles.

Depends which type, some are made more leather like, some are made more rubber like, each has their pros & cons, making it more leather like means sacrificing durability, make it more rubber like means it looks less leatherish but more durable.

wow I thought the Keaton Batman was a different material and was issue free.

Sadly I can confirm that it is far from issue free. Mine has been slowly deteriorating for a while now, despite being in a sealed display case, and away from any of the usual nasties (heat, direct sunlight, dust etc).

After also going through the same with the Bale Batman I'm done with buying anything with rubber suits or rubber skins from Hot Toys, no matter how good they may initially look.

Sadly I can confirm that it is far from issue free. Mine has been slowly deteriorating for a while now, despite being in a sealed display case, and away from any of the usual nasties (heat, direct sunlight, dust etc).

After also going through the same with the Bale Batman I'm done with buying anything with rubber suits or rubber skins from Hot Toys, no matter how good they may initially look.

the areas aren't coming into contact with other areas right?

Pleather will eventually crack and fall apart as it breaks away from the bottom material. There is also a higher quality synthetics, many used for boats, that last longer than regular pleather
Leather will not do the same as long as it is taken care of. Ive seen leather seats that are decades old that are still in great shape. My family has upholstered for over 50 years so im familiar with a lot of this material.

Pleather will eventually crack and fall apart as it breaks away from the bottom material. There is also a higher quality synthetics, many used for boats, that last longer than regular pleather
Leather will not do the same as long as it is taken care of. Ive seen leather seats that are decades old that are still in great shape. My family has upholstered for over 50 years so im familiar with a lot of this material.

Pleather is part of Synthetic/Artificial leather, so depends which type of Pleather is being used, it can last for long time or few years. The top part is just a coat, if they used the correct glue it wouldn't flake off so easily. Notice those pleather that flakes faster tend to be the soft ones. Real leather also requires finishing to make it long lasting. it may still crack since the top layer is different from the suede side but bonded with "natural glue".

the areas aren't coming into contact with other areas right?

Nope, nor were they ever stretched into poses that put any level of stress on them.

Gave Hot Toys the benefit of the doubt on using this kind of material twice. Won't be doing so a third time.

Great, I lament the day my Bane jacket disintegrates and I am left with Brawler Bane. :mad:

Do people think the clothing on PFs like Black Widow are doomed? I'm guessing yes, since I believe BW's suit is pleather.

I mean, I don't expect these pieces to last FOREVER, but the thought of them starting to crack/disintegrate after only a few years makes my blood boil. There are so many pieces - like the Red Skull PF - that I want to buy, but I'm too afraid to do so because of the leather/pleather clothing.

This thread is making me paranoid about the Hot Toys Robocop I ordered.

Any ideas how the rubber housings on the joints will hold up over time, and if there's anything I can do to ensure their longevity?

Do people think the clothing on PFs like Black Widow are doomed? I'm guessing yes, since I believe BW's suit is pleather.

I mean, I don't expect these pieces to last FOREVER, but the thought of them starting to crack/disintegrate after only a few years makes my blood boil. There are so many pieces - like the Red Skull PF - that I want to buy, but I'm too afraid to do so because of the leather/pleather clothing.

Sideshow pleather are prone to flake just like Medicoms, just look at Anakin Skywalker, i'm not sure what material they used on the 2 dark vaders, but they have opted for fabrics on the troopers when they can. Even those latex type will tend to crack because they are being made using same concept, a fabric base layer, coated with leather like/latex like coating using gum, the problem is the gum starts to loose it's properties & the top coat starts to disintegrate.

if you guys can give it some sort of top coat to keep them in tact it should be long lasting.

This thread is making me paranoid about the Hot Toys Robocop I ordered.

Any ideas how the rubber housings on the joints will hold up over time, and if there's anything I can do to ensure their longevity?

It is a perfect figure except for those joints! I imagine someone will come up with a replacement piece for those if needed. My only suggestion is to not display his arms in poses that stress the rubber in the arms.

It is a perfect figure except for those joints! I imagine someone will come up with a replacement piece for those if needed. My only suggestion is to not display his arms in poses that stress the rubber in the arms.

It just arrived. Jesus Christ the rubber sections on the elbows are terrifying me :horror

So, i just posed my hulk for the first time in over a year, and his arms shattered like they were made of glass. something happened with the vinyl and it became brittle i guess. suck ass. Also i'm sorta full of crap and not telling the full truth, because this only happened in a dream and not reality, but it DOES make me worry.

...and after looking at those hellboy pants....So who's ready for a pealy mcpeel Vader later this year?

Does anyone know how Sideshow's real leather holds up? I'm tempted to get a Lurtz PF, and I THINK that's real leather on him, but I'm worried about paying $700-$800 for this guy only to have him crap out on me.

Does anyone know how Sideshow's real leather holds up? I'm tempted to get a Lurtz PF, and I THINK that's real leather on him, but I'm worried about paying $700-$800 for this guy only to have him crap out on me.

Well if its real leather it'll last 100+ years :)
Real leather only distresses by wear and tear in use. Unless they've used some acidic sort of glue that eats through it (and lets face it, its Sideshow :D ) then it'll be fine ...assuming it is real...

Well if its real leather it'll last 100+ years :)
Real leather only distresses by wear and tear in use. Unless they've used some acidic sort of glue that eats through it (and lets face it, its Sideshow :D ) then it'll be fine ...assuming it is real...

real leather needs to be moisten with leather protector, if not the leather surface will still crack & tear away from the suede side. I have genuine leather belts and they do crack after time.

real leather needs to be moisten with leather protector, if not the leather surface will still crack & tear away from the suede side. I have genuine leather belts and they do crack after time.

You feel that a piece of leather on a statue suffers the same stress as a leather belt?

You feel that a piece of leather on a statue suffers the same stress as a leather belt?

Nope but remember Leather Belts are much thicker & made more durable than 1/6 scaled real leather. Even real leather watch band will harden & crack over time if not properly kept, you need to apply moisten protector every few months or at least once a year. also leather left in static for long term will cause long term stress on certain points so you 1st see crease later on it will start to crack on those areas usually areas folded in.

Nope but remember Leather Belts are much thicker & made more durable than 1/6 scaled real leather. Even real leather watch band will harden & crack over time if not properly kept, you need to apply moisten protector every few months or at least once a year. also leather left in static for long term will cause long term stress on certain points so you 1st see crease later on it will start to crack on those areas usually areas folded in.

Again, leather watch bands are subject to constant movement and stress.
Being a real material, it will of course break down eventually, but being under essentially no stress, that will likely be in 20+ years at an absolute minimum....

If we want an actual comparison, anyone want to comment on Enterbays 1/4 T2 T800 clean version? That has a full leather outfit.
That is now a couple of years old. I haven't heard of anyone desperately applying leather waxes.....yet :D

Back