1/6 Hot Toys Stormtroopers Deluxe Version MMS514/515

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Just checked and that's double what I paid for the original 2 pack ANH set. Sure that's 9 years ago, but 100% price increase for the same quality product is scary. That said, I think I recall when this stand first came out there was controversy over the price hike that stand added.

Wasn't the original ANH Stormtrooper $200? Now the ROTJ Stormtrooper is $240. How is that a 100% price increase?

I always wanted two of these so I jumped on this re-release. Like Justin had pointed out in his video, while not super noticeable the white on this one is very slightly yellow compared to the original. Not a big deal though. Only other thing that stuck out to me was the brow on the new one is glossy. Old brow is matte. Not that the old body was loose, but the new body seems even more tight, which is nice.

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

New on left.

IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3783.JPG

Yeah I think it was Justin who said in his review you'd think the older release would be the ever so slightly yellow one, not the new release.

It amazes me how HT, with all the adulation it gets, has missed the mark on so many of these iconic SW helmets, even on the second go-rounds. Vader (ANH and ESB sculpts), Fett (ESB and ROTJ sculpts) and stormie (ANH and ROTJ sculpts) - HT just never nailed these helmets the way they did the snowie. The Biker Scout is a notch closer to snowie level but still has that obnoxious Mando gap.

I ended up just getting parts from this fig and assembled a custom of the ESB/ROTJ hybrid armor (using a combo of HT ANH and HT ROTJ armor with ANH helmet repaint) seen briefly onscreen in ESB and the post-ESB/pre-ROTJ promo shoots.

I always wanted two of these so I jumped on this re-release. Like Justin had pointed out in his video, while not super noticeable the white on this one is very slightly yellow compared to the original. Not a big deal though. Only other thing that stuck out to me was the brow on the new one is glossy. Old brow is matte. Not that the old body was loose, but the new body seems even more tight, which is nice.

View attachment 710677
View attachment 710678
View attachment 710679
New on left.

View attachment 710680
View attachment 710681
I do prefer the wider gaps at the knees and thighs. Makes it look slightly less "perfect", like if an actual human were to modfy and wear the armor comfortably. The guy on the right would seriously risk puncturing the aorta should he have to sprint, just saying...

It amazes me how HT, with all the adulation it gets, has missed the mark on so many of these iconic SW helmets, even on the second go-rounds.
Well, people keep buying 'em so there's not much incentive. If I put on my tinfoil hat it makes me think they're bread-crumbing fans to keep them settling and spending.

In the early days I was happy to shell out on their ANH stormtroopers but grew less forgiving over time.

I'd rate their trooper sculpts:

1. Snowtrooper
2. Scout Trooper
3. Rogue One Stormtrooper (The sixth scale version is very close but looks a little more 'friendly' than the actual helmets)
4. Sandtrooper (which is a considerable drop-off in accuracy but still has an overall vibe at least).

I don't have hands-on experience with the other troopers, and Vader is a whole other kettle of womp rats.

Back