Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Precisely, but everyone complains about what’s accurate on the suit and what’s not.

All the custom runs getting it wrong and so forth, the only way to get it right is by actually being faithful to the fabric and not the filter.
Not really. That's why there's a difference as I stated - Screen accuracy vs actual costume accuracy. Most of the time, you have to choose when it comes to this scale.

Sure, if you're looking for actual in-hand costume accuracy, then yes, you need to be faithful to the real fabric colors.

However, if you want screen accuracy, then, as the name implies, you need to be faithful to what's on screen and not what the real in-hand fabric looks like.

Sometimes they can be the same but majority of the time, the real life costume and it's colors are going to look different than what's on screen, like many of the examples previously posted. Which is why I say I prefer screen accuracy as that's what I'm seeing when I watch the film and not if/when I may actually see the costume in real life.

Last edited:
It's all trying to land an arrow on a moving target. Most film productions create a variety of special use made costumes from a single design. There's rarely just one. They make variations for stunt shots, night shots, natural lighting shots, lightweight needs, hero shots, green screen shots, etc etc. Then you get into how different tones and colors look from shot to shot taking into account all the different lighting used, color temperature, film color grading, and so on. Even all these convention display pictures of a "screen worn costume" are inconclusive since we don't know which version of the suit/costume is being displayed, Sometimes these are made specifically for traveling displays, despite what the placards say. And again, the lighting and camera make a dramatic difference in how that display costume looks in pictures.

Ultimately, I'm looking for something (in my own opinion) that subjectively captures my idea of the character on screen. And when I mod figures, I'll often use paint and tricks to nudge a costume/suit closer to how it appears on screen, usually meaning darker, richer, and more interesting than how the real word counterpart appears.

So seek out a suit that suits your needs and that’s that, there’s plenty out here available with tones that you favor, that’s why we keep seeing these Joker suit runs, because people are chasing tones that don’t exist. I don’t want to hear complaints about how the waistcoat is too light if it appears that way in person? That’s not an error on HT behalf, it’s clear they have visited WB to take notes on the color of the actual suits, yes there’s multiple suits on set, I’ve already mentioned that previously here. But the fact is we’ve never gotten accurate colors faithful to what Ledger wore, I think it’s time one of these custom runs or companies make a suit based off of actual fabric used and not an idea in their heads.

Nick, you posted both these, right?

OK, I was saying I prefer the darker one below. Both are the costume. One has a very strong light on the vest which makes it appear "brighter", and the other pic does not and looks darker (which I prefer).

I understand that lighting and filters greatly affects how various material is seen (blue vs brown Han parka)... but I feel like the 2nd pic above better shows what the vest actually looks like in plain old light. I do not feel the 1st pic is a good example since right in that picture you can see how strong light is affecting it.

I will try to provide more photos @Wor-Gar
It’s the material of the waistcoat that makes it shift depending on which atmosphere it’s placed in as well as any color grading and filters used if we’re going off of the look in the film, but even then, there’s flaws to be had in that argument, look at this photo, this was in the film, the colors are more saturated here than the promo shots.

4E107C53-0A28-48FA-B2AF-A5C89F49E444.jpeg

So seek out a suit that suits your needs and that’s that, there’s plenty out here available with tones that you favor, that’s why we keep seeing these Joker suit runs, because people are chasing tones that don’t exist. I don’t want to hear complaints about how the waistcoat is too light if it appears that way in person? That’s not an error on HT behalf, it’s clear they have visited WB to take notes on the color of the actual suits, yes there’s multiple suits on set, I’ve already mentioned that previously here. But the fact is we’ve never gotten accurate colors faithful to what Ledger wore, I think it’s time one of these custom runs or companies make a suit based off of actual fabric used and not an idea in their heads.
I don't understand much of what you're saying here. Seems like you're making comments, and then conflicting with them in the same paragraph. But I agree, seek out a suit that suits your needs, there's more than enough already available.

The V part of the top of vest on the HT sits way lower than it should.
The bottom doesn't taper off the V as nicely either
This is why customs are made, but then end up doa due to people wanting blue blazers. HT and IA aren’t going to give us spot on suits, we know this, but at least HT got the purple coat color far more accurate than we’ve ever seen, did you see me point out that the buttons on it don’t sit accurately? They’re misplaced, Inart used the wrong material.

I don’t want to hear complaints about how the waistcoat is too light if it appears that way in person?

But the InArt and HT vests both look a bit bright. Yes, you can blast light on the actual costume to achieve that effect. So does that make the vest correct because you can achieve that color with light? If so, you shouldn't be so against the "blue jacket" because it can appear that way.

I don't understand much of what you're saying here. Seems like you're making comments, and then conflicting with them in the same paragraph. But agree, seek out a suit that suits your needs, there's more than enough already available.

Yeah, I'm feeling Nick is just being argumentative for the argument sake.

Argues there's no blue jacket because its lighting (which I agree with) but then says since the vest can glow lime green because of lighting then it should be considered accurate.

This video has warm lighting.
Compare this to what we saw on screen in the interrogation room.
Note: the shirt color appears blue when it’s not, that affects the green also.
If you want a dark green vest, then you should also want dark purple blue pants, blue blazer, blue shirt etc. which we’ve gotten countless times. It’s clear HT isn’t basing theirs off of that but of the actual suit.

FBD05F64-0433-4993-BF94-0C1A193FA6D1.jpeg

Last edited:
I just want to add that one can scale down the item but one can't scale down the lighting. This has been covered for decades in the scale modeling community and referred to as "Scale effect".

The smaller the scale, the lighter the color needs to be in order to look right. If you use the actual color of the 1:1 item on a 1/48 scale model or a 1/6th scale figure, it will simply look too dark.

This also applies to sheen. The smaller the scale, the less sheen or gloss it should have.

If none of the custom runs have suited your needs, why not start a run yourself for what you want rather than buying custom and official sets that aren't what you're looking for, yet complaining that it's still not accurate? Sounds like just throwing your money away if you don't like anything that has been made, but still purchase them :dunno You've said you're no stranger to customs, so why not just reach out to one of the well known tailors to see if they will work with you on what you want and then open it up to others who want exactly what you're looking for to help bring the cost down some?

If none of the custom runs have suited your needs, why not start a run yourself for what you want rather than buying custom and official sets that aren't what you're looking for, yet complaining that it's still not accurate? Sounds like just throwing your money away if you don't like anything that has been made, but still purchase them :dunno You've said you're no stranger to customs, so why not just reach out to one of the well known tailors to see if they will work with you on what you want and then open it up to others who want exactly what you're looking for to help bring the cost down some?
How can it be throwing money away though? This version of the character attracts money, it doesn’t matter how inaccurate a custom run is, they still sell. You could post the old Yunsil suit up for $1,300 and someone would buy regardless of the inaccuracies. The Kato coat still sells for $1,500 by itself and it’s not accurate in the slightest.

It’s definitely not the first time they’ve used that wording, we shall see, surely there’s more thought gone into the process than just rooted hair for these releases, both got a new sculpt for one, Joker got a new custom 1 of 1 body to match Ledgers. Wish IA would’ve done that. The prototype paint on the Artisan Joker looks different than the paint application process used on the DX11.

Also we’re giving IA a break on the massive variance between prototype paint and production but not HT now?

Not my photos.

View attachment 657571
View attachment 657572
View attachment 657573

If you don’t feel screwed by that comparison, buy another set.
P1100828.jpg

Yes, you have to adjust the head, futz the suit, thin the hair, restyle it and it can look better than straight out of the box. The point is most people won’t make it look good so if I do, or you do, it doesn’t change the fact that the Inart figure takes a proper hand to make look good, proper tailoring doesn’t require the same amount of futzing, in-turn being a more accurate product as what you see is what you get.

Last edited:
How can it be throwing money away though? This version of the character attracts money, it doesn’t matter how inaccurate a custom run is, they still sell. You could post the old Yunsil suit up for $1,300 and someone would buy regardless of the inaccuracies. The Kato coat still sells for $1,500 by itself and it’s not accurate in the slightest.
I'm talking about you personally, not the general you. You've said none of the custom runs or official have got it right, so why go through all that trouble of getting on and buying other custom runs, waiting for them to be made and shipped and being disappointed with the end result knowing full well what you paid for and instead just start your own run for what you actually want? Meaning you, Nick, start your own custom run for what you're looking for in a TDK Joker suit? That way you can finally have what you want rather complaining that everyone else got it "wrong"? I don't say this out of sarcasm or poking at you, I'm genuinely asking why don't you start your own custom run since you say you're no stranger to customs?

I will say, I find it odd that earlier in the thread you were praising all the advancements customs have made and that you went the custom route b/c HT wasn't cutting it, but now customs have all got it wrong? 🤔

I'm talking about you personally, not the general you. You've said none of the custom runs or official have got it right, so why go through all that trouble of getting on and buying other custom runs, waiting for them to be made and shipped and being disappointed with the end result knowing full well what you paid for and instead just start your own run for what you actually want? Meaning you, Nick, start your own custom run for what you're looking for in a TDK Joker suit? That way you can finally have what you want rather complaining that everyone else got it "wrong"? I don't say this out of sarcasm or poking at you, I'm genuinely asking why don't you start your own custom run since you say you're no stranger to customs?
I’m trying bro, it’s not that easy. Yunsil won’t remake the purple suit more accurately, as the original run organizer won’t give the go ahead. (shortround) Yunsil won’t work on stuff already created by another organizer if not ok with them, this is why you see Jagzz doing the Yunsil BR 2.0 run, he’s responsible for the first run back in 2019.

I’ve given input to Wonder, he had his own vision so I let it be, still looks good, probably the best we’ve had, but isn’t accurate.

I’m talking with Jagzz right now about what we can do to get an accurate coat in 1:6, for example: the second button on the front of the coat should sit ever slightly higher than the coat pocket but still on the same horizontal line. I’m also showing reference photos of the four smaller buttons on the sleeves otherwise identical to the buttons down the front. Told him to add some shape to the sleeves that eventually flare at the cuffs due to being unbuttoned, instead of thick sleeves straight down like we’ve gotten every release no matter who’s making. Also gave him photos of the identical stitch pattern on the lapels that can also be found on the sleeve cuffs, that’s never been done. I know what I’m talking about. I’m trying to make this thing worth the asking price.

7821B939-A01D-4C61-9BF8-08A867EA0B7D.jpeg

EE9DE889-E68D-4B86-8E8E-39D1643C821A.jpeg

83CD1D43-1755-45EE-9A85-A3F33B3C2F25.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m trying bro, it’s not that easy. Yunsil won’t remake the purple suit more accurately, as the original run organizer won’t give the go ahead. (shortround) Yunsil won’t work on stuff already created by another organizer if not ok with them, this is why you see Jagzz doing the Yunsil BR 2.0 run, he’s responsible for the first run back in 2019.

I’ve given input to Wonder, he had his own vision so I let it be, still looks good, probably the best we’ve had, but isn’t accurate.

I’m talking with Jagzz right now about what we can do to get an accurate coat in 1:6, for example: the second button on the front of the coat should sit ever slightly higher than the coat pocket but still on the same horizontal line. I’m also showing reference photos of the four smaller buttons on the sleeves otherwise identical to the buttons down the front. Also gave him photos of the identical stitch pattern on the lapels that can also be found on the sleeve cuffs, that’s never been done. I know what I’m talking about.

View attachment 657803

View attachment 657804
View attachment 657805

It’s a real shame because, in my opinion; Hector completely dropped the ball on that run. The whole costume is so inaccurate it hurts.

Speaks volumes that he won’t let it get made again.

I gotta ask why the heck is there a flower on his vest ? I don't remember seeing that in the film? 😂
Wayne ripped his button off in the interrogation scene, he was already missing one, now two. Replaces those before the money burning scene, wears it that way throughout the rest of the film. It can be seen, you just have to look, pause the movie when he mentions gasoline.

Back