Hot Toys: The Suicide Squad: Harley Quinn (Artisan Edition)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there was about 20 minutes of being able to order her through a very slow loading sometimes crashing site that occasionally emptied your cart, followed by a queue of a couple thousand that then were unable to buy due to an “already in someone else’s cart” error message. And some said this wouldn’t sell quickly? 🤡

I had to go through my phone, desktop kept getting that server error earlier.

Honestly these artisans have been pretty easy to get as you came on time (right when it goes up, not 30 min later). I've only missed 1 artisan, Loki, because it went up the same day it was revealed.

Maybe InArt has just ruined my perception, but I don't get all the comments on price for this, tbh. It's right in line with other Artisan releases:

Wonder Woman (WB100) - $400 (not technically Artisan, but the first to use wool hair)
Joker (TDK) - $515
Joker (Phoenix) - $460
Jack Sparrow - $495
Loki - $445
Anakin - $415
Scarlet Witch - $445

The biggest outlier is Black Widow at $385. You don't have to like the price point for what you get, of course, but Harley isn't any more egregiously priced than others of that tier.

$425!? No magnetic base? It’s pretty nice with good accessories, but are they out of their Vulcan mind?
I wish I could say the Artisan hair adds $100 to the price and its not fully down to price gouging but

zL0I6ic.gif

I had to go through my phone, desktop kept getting that server error earlier.

Honestly these artisans have been pretty easy to get as you came on time (right when it goes up, not 30 min later). I've only missed 1 artisan, Loki, because it went up the same day it was revealed.
I haven't tried for all of them, but so far the only ones I've been able to successfully get through the queue for are WW100, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow and Harley. What I want to know is, where was this luck with women when I was younger?? :lol

So there was about 20 minutes of being able to order her through a very slow loading sometimes crashing site that occasionally emptied your cart, followed by a queue of a couple thousand that then were unable to buy due to an “already in someone else’s cart” error message. And some said this wouldn’t sell quickly? 🤡
Obviously, these limited edition runs are all a marketing ploy to create FOMO.

This Harley figure would still sell well if it was an open or timed run but this Artisan line creates hype and more brand awareness for Hot Toys.

Admittedly, I got caught in the hype. I was on the fence with this Harley but decided to secure the PO due it being “limited”and kick the final decision down the road. I did not check the box for “protect my order” so I can cancel later to get my NRD back.

There have been other Artisan or Artisan adjacent figures that I 100% truly wanted or missed out the first time - Black Widow 2.0, Spider-Man 2.0, Wonder Woman WB100.

I can see both sides of it. Yes, having limited runs is obviously a marketing strategy; I'm not so naive as to ignore that. By the same token, we've seen what mass-produced rooting has looked like in the past, so I'm inclined to believe that limited runs are the only way HT can reasonably achieve a higher level of quality.

Harley will be my third after TDK Joker and WB100 Wonder Woman. On the bright side, exclusivity means you won't have trouble getting your money back if it disappoints in-hand.

I wish I could say the Artisan hair adds $100 to the price and its not fully down to price gouging but

zL0I6ic.gif

InArt charges about a $100 premium for rooted versus sculpted so that seems to be market rate. The ArtToys Edward Scissorhands rooted is about $150 more than sculpted.

Like you mentioned, I don’t know the true value or expenses involved.

I sent my Sansa Stark (GOT) head sculpt to an artist to get rooted a few years ago - IIRC, that was at least couple hundred (if not more).

but that Sansa root job was a custom one-off to my specifications (not assembly line like Hot Toys) and you’re paying the artist for the labor, time, materials, etc. And Sansa has some semi-complicated braids to replicate.

Last edited:
Back