Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you have to adjust the head, futz the suit, thin the hair, restyle it and it can look better than straight out of the box who would’ve thought?? The point is most people won’t make it look good so if I do, or you do, it doesn’t change the fact that the Inart figure takes a proper hand to make look good, proper tailoring doesn’t require the same amount of futzing, in-turn being a more accurate product as what you see is what you get.
The head was straight out of the box actually. I didn't mess with it yet. I did futz the suit to be totally honest with you, especially the collar.

Everyone should futz and play with a 1/6 scale figure and pose it. Just have fun really. if not might as well buy statues.

Yes, make upgrades to your figures people!

I was saying to make the hair more accurate, you need to thin it out carefully but properly, restyle it, fix the volume on the hairline, too big, too thick, too pretty. Looks like he just combed it.

I’m trying bro, it’s not that easy.
[...]
I’m talking with Jagzz right now about what we can do to get an accurate coat in 1:6, [...]
Glad you're trying to make strides for what you want. It's the only way you may actually end up satisfied.
I know what I’m talking about.
Never said you didn't. The way you know TDK Joker's suit is pretty much how I know all of Henry Cavill's Superman suits, so I get. Just looking in the InArt Superman thread, there are a lot of things that I've pointed out as being wrong that most ppl don't care about at all :lol

Which brings me to my next point here that there is a point to where most ppl just stop caring, especially if it's a character they may like, maybe even like a lot, but don't love enough to know all the details about stitching, etc or even really care to know as long as they have a good enough representation on their shelf. They won't mind if it's made more accurate, but they also would take it as is, too. There are ppl in the InArt thread (at least when it was announced) who were saying how they were still fine with the DX11 and didn't care about the InArt. They don't care about all these finer details that you or some others do. That's not to belittle your passion for what you perceive as perfection at this scale at all btw. It's just a fact that most will stop caring about "this is wrong, that is wrong" as long as the overall figure looks good.

I will say, all this talk about what's apparently "off" and "wrong" with the HT and the InArt has reminded me as to why I stopped collecting Nolanverse stuff :lol The pursuit just never ends which makes it difficult to want to collect Nolan's version of the characters in the first place. I don't like to feel like I need to keep on upgrading every few years, but my OCD doesn't like knowing there's a better option out there that I could get if I wanted to spend the money. It's also why I sold all my HT Snyderverse stuff. Knowing too much about the suits just made the HT figures inadequate for me that I couldn't be just ok with what was available.

Yes, make upgrades to your figures people!

I was saying to make the hair more accurate, you need to thin it out carefully but properly, restyle it, fix the volume on the hairline, too big, too thick, too pretty. Looks like he just combed it.

IMG_1055.jpeg

Can’t wait to see people thin the hair AND hairline and fix the paint apps for the artisan.

Exactly @Gipetto0812 ! I can’t speak for everyone, but so many of us in the custom world have gotten our input left on delivery, time after time, run after run. Hell, shortround even sold Fins Yunsil Ledger suit because of a falling out, after 3 years waiting for it, no questions asked, informed him after delivering everyone else’s suit, that’s cold. We don’t need people like that involved. We need people with an eye for these things and everyone else chill out and watch what we can come up with.

You’re exactly right about the Cavill suit, I wouldn’t know the first place to start on it. (Looks good 👍🏻) Now you see why I focus on one film for this hobby, the details are too much to have a diverse collection, I’d never be satisfied if I studied other suits like Ledgers. The reason this suit over any needs justice is because of the sheer amount of versions made with all of them falling flat in one aspect or another, I avoided the Aries suit because there were too many inaccuracies to justify $800 for a suit that missed the mark. I decided to follow through with both the Inart & Hot Toys to see if either offered aspects of the suit I could use on my customs, (Inart Glock for Yunsil bank robber 2.0) It doesn’t hurt to pick up officially licensed releases of this character regardless of the inaccuracies. He sells, can be sold later, you’re not sitting on a Heath Ledger Joker like you would a Captain America. I want it done right and put to bed, customs seem to be the only way to achieve that but we’re not completely there yet.

I’ve wanted an accurate Heath Ledger Joker since I was 11 years old watching the film in IMAX then going home to look at photos of the dc direct 1:6 and original bank robber HT.

Last edited:
how do u properly thin out the hair? Bought an eyelash comb, small paint brush set and stiffen quick spray to restyle hair of Inart joker. Arriving tomorrow
I’ll post pics once I’m finished, as long as you have product to put back in you’ll be fine, if not, be careful how much you get the hair wet because it’s very easy to wash the product out completely on strands which you don’t want.

Glad you're trying to make strides for what you want. It's the only way you may actually end up satisfied.

Never said you didn't. The way you know TDK Joker's suit is pretty much how I know all of Henry Cavill's Superman suits, so I get. Just looking in the InArt Superman thread, there are a lot of things that I've pointed out as being wrong that most ppl don't care about at all :lol

Which brings me to my next point here that there is a point to where most ppl just stop caring, especially if it's a character they may like, maybe even like a lot, but don't love enough to know all the details about stitching, etc or even really care to know as long as they have a good enough representation on their shelf. They won't mind if it's made more accurate, but they also would take it as is, too. There are ppl in the InArt thread (at least when it was announced) who were saying how they were still fine with the DX11 and didn't care about the InArt. They don't care about all these finer details that you or some others do. That's not to belittle your passion for what you perceive as perfection at this scale at all btw. It's just a fact that most will stop caring about "this is wrong, that is wrong" as long as the overall figure looks good.

I will say, all this talk about what's apparently "off" and "wrong" with the HT and the InArt has reminded me as to why I stopped collecting Nolanverse stuff :lol The pursuit just never ends which makes it difficult to want to collect Nolan's version of the characters in the first place. I don't like to feel like I need to keep on upgrading every few years, but my OCD doesn't like knowing there's a better option out there that I could get if I wanted to spend the money. It's also why I sold all my HT Snyderverse stuff. Knowing too much about the suits just made the HT figures inadequate for me that I couldn't be just ok with what was available.

There will never be a Ledger Joker that's 100% accurate. Still, it's oddly fascinating watching people obsess over this character. Ten years from now people will still be obsessing over the accuracy of the outfit and comparing stills from the film and new HD photos of the costume. :lol

Its the power of great performance, great movie, great character (design) coming together. Not many of those around tick all the boxes, some stay popular for a few years, some a generation and then you have stuff like Vader, Yoda (yes great performance), Indy, Gandalf and now Ledger's Joker that turn timeless.

There will never be a Ledger Joker that's 100% accurate. Still, it's oddly fascinating watching people obsess over this character. Ten years from now people will still be obsessing over the accuracy of the outfit and comparing stills from the film and new HD photos of the costume. :lol
Because we have to forget about what we see on screen and be faithful to the costume designer Lindy Hemming.
We’ve never done that, hence it will never be accurate.

Maybe you should just ask Lindy Hemming to commission the clothing for you so you can get it done and over with.

That's not a bad idea. When HT showed the Matrix Neo and Agent Smith prototypes, we were debating what color was Smith's suit in the first film, because it looked different on the dvd and bluray, so I contacted Kym Barrett, the film's costume designer, on Facebook of all places, and to my surprise, she responded. It was a dark green wool suit. :)

That's not a bad idea. When HT showed the Matrix Neo and Agent Smith prototypes, we were debating what color was Smith's suit in the first film, because it looked different on the dvd and bluray, so I contacted Kym Barrett, the film's costume designer, on Facebook of all places, and to my surprise, she responded. It was a dark green wool suit. :)
That's neat. I always thought it was just the lighting or filter that they used but I guess they actually incorporated a bit of green into the fabric itself.

Shame we'll never actually get a Smith figure from Hot Toys. :rolleyes2 The most basic of figures to make.

Current discussion got me thinking.

Why do we collectors go for miniature models of the stuff we love? Why 1/6 and 1/4 dolls? Why 1/12 action figures? Wouldn’t it make more sense to go . . . life size.

Obsessed with Ledger Joker? Why the heck you buying a little doll instead of, I don’t know, a life size replica of his actual purple suit. Put that **** on a mannequin and put it on display.

Dolls and toys make sense when we’re kids, we project action onto them as we play, but when we become adults, we no longer play. The action is taken out. We don’t project ourselves into the figure through play. Now all we do is “futz” and customize with the sole purpose of lining them up, museum style for display. Its actually very odd.

Wouldn’t a better display be Batman’s actual cowl and costume? His arsenal and gadgets? Joker’s actual costume, cards and props?

B6F6124F-010E-4293-AC2A-E0AD8408A785.jpeg

2A4F717A-D9A3-4711-A15A-6B87008E6D79.jpeg

F3CE1B38-087E-41E3-9173-CD0E6EFFF962.jpeg

Why the little Barbie Doll/GI Joe sized dolls? I mean, Bruce Wayne himself displays his life size toys, not little dinky miniatures of them.

6244C2D1-32A1-44EB-A26E-6C80C24EFDEE.jpeg

A601197E-081A-4570-8730-A4AD68E447D8.jpeg

The little dolls are never going to be screen accurate because they’re not actual size. They never will achieve that detail. It’s kind of absurd to think about. For car, train, plane collectors it makes sense to collect scaled down replicas just from a money and practically standpoint (what, you got a garage big enough to house all your favorites). But a couple of superhero/supervillain outfits? Wouldn’t be hard, would actually be more fun to source it out yourself instead of reply on a toy company or artist to make you a little chintzy, dinky miniature of it.

Why the fascination with amassing little fake plastic men.

15E5D509-84E8-442A-B1F2-3A528C0FC86B.jpeg

D104478E-9D2C-411A-978F-737AC723B853.jpeg

Last edited:
Back