Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bro you just contradicted yourself.

“8 shelves worth of different various Balemen and Ledgermen” would be about the same size as ONE life size Baleman and ONE Ledgerman!

You guys aren’t thinking three dimensionally. You’re thinking about a SEARS, JC Penny, Kohl’s, Target store display of a blank faced mannequin with your favorite characters clothes on them.

I’m talking about a doll that is like the 1/6 dudes but is the same size you are . . .
I know exactly what you mean.

However,
picture this,

I don’t collect media like most collectors do. I’m an artist, so the vast majority of characters don’t fascinate me enough to own any media of them, posters, autographed photos framed, figures from every Star Wars film, tv series and video game regardless of screen time, don’t do it for me at all like some of you, I actually dislike it very much, but not enough to go off on some poor guy because he likes Luke Skywalker too much. I’m much more fascinated by the artists that created these characters and brought them to life on screen. I collect customs because they’re a work of art, you have to be on runs with different organizers to obtain each specific piece, that’s art, that’s not lining up at Secret Base on release day all the time.

It would look absolutely ridiculous to own a 1:1 scale Ledger Joker in my home without a spec of media elsewhere. I watch film, I don’t collect it, there’s no itch for me in it. Except for Ledgers Joker, that performance was a work of art and won’t be topped for this character.

Great discussion!

For car, train, plane collectors it makes sense to collect scaled down replicas just from a money and practically standpoint (what, you got a garage big enough to house all your favorites). But a couple of superhero/supervillain outfits?
I don't see the difference. Unless you are only interested in 2-3 characters, you have the exact same space issues as a car collector or anything larger.
I have a rather modest collection size-wise compared to most 1:6 collectors, but even at that, I have about 25 figures. Impossible at 1:1.

There’s probably some deep, psychological reason for this but even if I had the space to display 1:1 “figures” I’d go with 80% 1/6 scale and 20% 1/4 scale with a few 1/12 scattered in there. Not that I wouldn’t have some 1:1 pieces in the collection but I don’t see myself focusing on that scale even if I could.

Same here, and you actually just described my collection perfectly.
I had one 1:1 item, a stormtrooper helmet, but I put it away again because I just wasn't feeling it.

I’ve noticed the baby boomers are like this with automobiles, locomotives and guns. They have retired and spend their days buying trains and cars, with a good bit of their scale models all boxed up or stored away. Some do full fledged dioramas. While I don’t share the same obsession they do, I do get the mindset. I would say their hobby is much more productive however. They’re changing out and customizing motors, laying down actual, functioning tracks. They’re creating more than consuming. What are we doing? Talking about millimeter flower buttons and the green shade of vests. Their hobby is a little different than obsessing over the minutia of fabric and doll hair.
Again, I don't think the difference is as big as you make it out to be. Same as baby boomers either purely collecting things or building their own things, 1:6 enthusiast either purely collect or customize. Perhaps the ratio between the two changed, but that might be more of a generational thing in what you like spending your time on.
But as to the obsessing over minutia details, that's again exactly what diorama builders of trains do, no? 1:6 collecting has only evolved to have these details mass-produced, and people with the disposable income to pay for it are willing to.

1:1 makes more sense. Statues make more sense. Even your clunky, colorful stylized Kenner/Mattel/Hasbro ~points of articulation action figures make sense. The miniature dolls are just kind of . . . creepy. Yeah, Artisan Anakin and InArt Aragorn are impressive but it’s also kind of weird now.
I think this is just personal preference. For me, 1:1 is much creepier than 1:6.

Another big reason for me to collect 1:6 is poseability. I repose most of my figures about 1-2 times per year. You just can't get 1:1 into the same poses as 1:6, you would need super strong joints to hold the weight. Even 1:4 is pushing it and is much better suited for museum poses.

I think a few 1:1 busts work pretty nicely if you have the display (like what Infinity is doing) as they're still in the realm of a collectible. But moving to full on costumes I think you cross over from high end collectible to actual prop collecting which is a different type of collecting. My brother has a couple 1:1 props from the Nolan movies (a screen used BB cowl for instance), and its cool, but otherwise nothing that really makes me ooo and ahhh over it.

As someone else mentioned, there's artistry when it comes to these scaled down pieces whether it be 1/6, 1/4, 1/3 etc. I do personally think 1/12 is still more toy (as in kids toy) than high end collectible though :lol

Yeah, thing is with props is the prop department will try to make them look as good as possible using the cheapest and most efficient way, so some props are actually very underwhelming in person than on screen. That type of stuff I think is best suited to visiting a studio.

A 1:1 bust can look good given there's enough space in a room, like it's going to have to be a big room for the bust to not be sticking out like a sore thumb but rather something you'd go up to and inspect and it not be in the way. I don't think I'll ever own a space large enough for how much space I think would be needed for it to not be an eye-sore.

But more than that, I just think they look hokey. I've never seen a 1:1 or a bust that I've liked, just reminds me of Partymania halloween stores.

A finessed, fully complete figure in a glass display preferably, or on a unit with a refined amount of collectibles with it is my preference.

Even with my JND statues I think already I'm starting to border on the line of being too much, because I don't have the space for them. Everything comes down to space!

Not to knock anyone else’s passion, as that isn’t my intention, but a room full of Star Wars figures is the very reason collectors are frowned upon, not a few customs displayed neatly behind glass.

Not to knock anyone else’s passion, as that isn’t my intention, but a room full of Star Wars figures is the very reason collectors are frowned upon, not a few customs displayed neatly behind glass.
I think you're being a bit judgmental with this statement and sort of "the way I collect with my customs is better than yours with your star wars display" even if you say that's not your intention. On this very board we have seen some incredible, clean and organized star wars displays that are nothing to be embarrassed about but I would argue, rather envious of. It all comes down to the how something is displayed and what the individual wants. But, more importantly, who really cares if it brings you joy? You sound more worried about what other ppl think of your display which doesn't sound fun. If you're embarrassed by your display and get self-conscious if/when someone sees it, then yea, that's a personal problem that you may need help with. But if you're displaying your stuff proudly, then who cares?

Yeah, thing is with props is the prop department will try to make them look as good as possible using the cheapest and most efficient way, so some props are actually very underwhelming in person than on screen. That type of stuff I think is best suited to visiting a studio.

A 1:1 bust can look good given there's enough space in a room, like it's going to have to be a big room for the bust to not be sticking out like a sore thumb but rather something you'd go up to and inspect and it not be in the way. I don't think I'll ever own a space large enough for how much space I think would be needed for it to not be an eye-sore.

But more than that, I just think they look hokey. I've never seen a 1:1 or a bust that I've liked, just reminds me of Partymania halloween stores.

A finessed, fully complete figure in a glass display preferably, or on a unit with a refined amount of collectibles with it is my preference.

Even with my JND statues I think already I'm starting to border on the line of being too much, because I don't have the space for them. Everything comes down to space!
Doesn't always have to be a big room, you just have to know how to organize things appropriately. Batman Statue Collector and GemMint have a couple 1:1 busts and they display them pretty nicely even. I'm an architect in high end residential custom homes and have seen and worked with Interior Designers who do incredible work with some of the smallest spaces. Most ppl who don't have an eye for that sort of thing and have a difficult time visualizing what can actually be done with a space and then even harder time executing it if they were to do it themselves. Not saying that everyone needs to hire a professional for their displays, but there are ways to make the most out of the space you have rather than just throwing in the towel and saying it can't be done. Sure, the amount and size of the items you have will determine your exact constraints, but most ppl only see displaying their stuff only one way when there are usually multiple options that they just haven't thought themselves.

Last edited:
I am displaying my stuff proudly, hence why I’m interested in getting all of the minute details correct. I’m not knocking what someone collects, I’m knocking how much someone collects, if you only collect Star Wars that’s perfectly fine, you like what you like. However, there’s ways to display them and if you go overboard, you look like you have a serious issue to everyone around you that doesn’t share said passion. It’s not about someone’s opinion getting the best of you, it goes back to what @DiFabio said, having an exorbitant amount of collectibles proves you’re no good with money, your partner shouldn’t be with you for that reason no, but they’ll bat an eye on if you’re mature enough, regardless of disposable income.

Yes I’ve spent a lot on Heath Ledgers Joker and TDK. The handmade real metal and fully detailed, complete with proper engraving and welding Smith & Wesson M76 5.0 by Full Metal was $600 usd. I’m not saying my hands are clean, but I at least be sure to collect from one or two films and not entire franchises because i simply can’t get enough.

I agree about interior design, I happen to have an eye for it, his collection is fine, but in the wrong home, it’s no where near enough space regardless of installation. It looks tacky & downright shameful having multiple rooms for a man cave when you’re a grown man with a family, end of story.

Last edited:
Eh I don't know about all that. That just sounds like a difference in presentation, not what the person is necessarily collecting.

You can have a handful of custom $2000+ figures while displaying them poorly. You can also have hundreds of star wars figures while displaying them nicely. Doesn't make one worse or better than the other just because it's a custom figure.

EDIT: Just saw your recent post. Okay you did mean presentation. Felt more like you were pointing at what the person was buying/collecting than anything.

[...], having an exorbitant amount of collectibles proves you’re no good with money..., regardless of disposable income.
That's simply not true at all. If you have all your bills paid, living the lifestyle that you (and potential partner) desire, have no debt, have regular money saved for both emergencies and retirement, you should buy whatever you want with what's left over, guilt free, whether that's collectibles, cars, vacations, fine dining, etc. Who are you (or anyone on this forum) to say anyone here is bad with money without knowing them? You're literally judging ppl on this very forum for what we're all here buying as if we're all in debt living paycheck to paycheck and spending money we don't have on these collectibles instead of something that may be arguably more important. It sounds like you've been judged for these very things and are projecting that onto the rest of us. Who hurt you Nick?

therapist-oompa-loompa.gif

I collect for myself. There are a few local close friends that do the same and we can share and enjoy the hobby together.

This forum is basically an extension of the above. Perhaps less personal in nature but the passion may possibly be larger. I've never met Wor-Gar, for example, but I think that we've shared some good opinions, information and laughs over the years. I consider him a friend. There are several others here, as well.

I've got some 1:1 items and I've got some 1/6 figures. I also have scale models in various scales. I enjoy all of them for what they represent on an historical and entertainment level and for the enjoyment that they bring me.

I know that eventually I'll have to sell of the vast majority of these "things" but for now, I'm getting a lot of fun out of them.

P.S. I do appreciate a classic C. S. Lewis quote, as well!

Yes, we need to be more kind to one another, myself included, we’re all friends here, all different tastes.

At least you’re taking accountability @FlyAndFight
If you stick to your word, then having fun for a bit is no issue. At least you’re able to see over the fence, many others unfortunately cannot, and this creates lots of issues in one’s personal life.That’s why I go on these threads, to look at others collections and admire from a distance. I don’t need a Han Solo, I can watch the movie or look at it in someone’s collection. I watched Hydeous create the Yunsil suit for Han and followed the thread until completion, with zero interest of ever joining it, because I like to see collectors upgrading their figures. We all need to learn how to admire from afar and not collect solely because of fomo or because something looks cool in someone else’s collection.

We all need to learn how to admire from afar and not collect solely because of fomo or because something looks cool in someone else’s collection.

As someone trying to be more selective and buy only the must haves over completing a line like I used to do, when you have the means I think you should do whatever you want.

I collect for myself. There are a few local close friends that do the same and we can share and enjoy the hobby together.

This forum is basically an extension of the above. Perhaps less personal in nature but the passion may possibly be larger. I've never met Wor-Gar, for example, but I think that we've shared some good opinions, information and laughs over the years. I consider him a friend. There are several others here, as well.

I've got some 1:1 items and I've got some 1/6 figures. I also have scale models in various scales. I enjoy all of them for what they represent on an historical and entertainment level and for the enjoyment that they bring me.

I know that eventually I'll have to sell of the vast majority of these "things" but for now, I'm getting a lot of fun out of them.

P.S. I do appreciate a classic C. S. Lewis quote, as well!
@Wor-Gar is awesome

As someone trying to be more selective and buy only the must haves over completing a line like I used to do, when you have the means I think you should do whatever you want.
To an extent sure, but in one way or another, if you don’t introduce discipline, it will eat at you. I’m not solely talking about collecting here, it becomes present in one’s everyday life. Getting one character spot on isn’t addiction, buying tons of releases is.

I guarantee half of the figures people buy haven’t been futzed or any thought gone into their purchase after owning it.

- My point with that is, it’s no longer collecting in an art form but to simply have everything you can because the tv show said so.

Main characters are main characters for a reason. Tried and true, worth owning if you fancy the actor’s portrayal and that’s it. I could care less about Two Face so I wouldn’t own him, he’s a main character in TDK his story runs throughout the film just like Wayne, parallel even. Still not worth owning to me, you should collect what you have strong emotional attachment to, not because they’re a main character, Bale is the quintessential Batman for me so I own him as a yin yang with Ledgers Joker.

That's simply not true at all. If you have all your bills paid, living the lifestyle that you (and potential partner) desire, have no debt, have regular money saved for both emergencies and retirement, you should buy whatever you want with what's left over, guilt free, whether that's collectibles, cars, vacations, fine dining, etc. Who are you (or anyone on this forum) to say anyone here is bad with money without knowing them? You're literally judging ppl on this very forum for what we're all here buying as if we're all in debt living paycheck to paycheck and spending money we don't have on these collectibles instead of something that may be arguably more important. It sounds like you've been judged for these very things and are projecting that onto the rest of us. Who hurt you Nick?

therapist-oompa-loompa.gif
Well said. They sound downright butthurt

Back