Hot Toys The Dark Knight Lt. Jim Gordon S.W.A.T suit version Figure - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys The Dark Knight Lt. Jim Gordon S.W.A.T suit version Figure - Specs & Pic

wow buddy, that was a horrible comment. I think you should steer clear from the boards for a while just to reflect one why that was the stupidest comment to make.

Re: Hot Toys The Dark Knight Lt. Jim Gordon S.W.A.T suit version Figure - Specs & Pic

I cleaned it up and gave him an infraction for being an insensitive ******.

Wow, after seeing bigger pics of the proto I must say the headsculpt only remotely resemble Gary Oldman. This is just a middle aged guy with moustache.

Out of the three, Angelica is the only one they got right. For us,, that's 1 out of 3 chance of getting a perfect headculpt. What's going on HT?

That's what you think.

Personally I think it looks better and more accurate than the iminime's version. which to some is the best Gordon likeness so far.

That's what you think.

Personally I think it looks better and more accurate than the iminime's version. which to some is the best Gordon likeness so far.

So you're comparing Hot Toys, a production company with global market, to an individual with limited production capacity who produces (amazing) headculpts? Doesn't sound fair now does it?

Yes, Iminime's may not be on par with this iteration but the fact remains the same. The likeness is off. When judging a headculpt, imagine it without color and compare it with photos of the actual character. If it's off it's off. Yes it's better than a talented artist's rendition, but it's still off.

Someone told me that you can't be objective in this forum. Please don't let that be the case.

Not really.

Sometimes licensed stuffs have to go through approvals for likenesses rights from the actors. While customs do not have to go down that route. So in the end, it all boils down to artist's skill IMO.

You're right, but released prototype pictures have not been approved for likeness, which is why the released figure may look different than the prototype. If they can't get the likeness right during the prototype stage, then the released figure can't possibly be better.

You're right, but released prototype pictures have not been approved for likeness, which is why the released figure may look different than the prototype. If they can't get the likeness right during the prototype stage, then the released figure can't possibly be better.

If the approval wasn't given, they wouldn't be allowed to show the sculpt yet.

Not to say the production sculpt won't be different than the proto sculpt (look at the SS Ex. Wayne sculpt, for instance) but that's a completely different argument.

Of course they would. Because the prototype isn't for sale now is it? The approval is for the finished product primed for the market. If displaying pics of the prototype breaks any kind of copyright law, then cosplayers are lawbreakers.

57572810150898459612344.jpg

I can't wait to get my hands on this blurry sculpt, it looks great!

Because clearly, since there's no reason to hide the sculpt since approval doesn't matter, that the prototype sculpt looks exactly like this.

57572810150898459612344.jpg

I can't wait to get my hands on this blurry sculpt, it looks great!

Because clearly, since there's no reason to hide the sculpt since approval doesn't matter, that the prototype sculpt looks exactly like this.

Ah good point. Thanks for proving me wrong. So they don't need to get his face right because they just want the license for the character's name and likeness though that does not necessarily entail Gary Oldman's likeness.

It's really up for speculation. Why is it okay to make and show the figure's costume and symbol as is the case with Spider-Man and yet it's not okay to show Andrew Garfield's face. From what I can understand of your understanding of licensing law, then it should be unlawful to post drawings of actors as well as having photos of them without license. Best guess would be because Hot Toys was asked to do so by the studio for whatever reason. Not because of licensing approval.

Also, I never said that approval doesn't matter.

Ah good point. Thanks for proving me wrong. So they don't need to get his face right because they just want the license for the character's name and likeness though that does not necessarily entail Gary Oldman's likeness.

It's really up for speculation. Why is it okay to make and show the figure's costume and symbol as is the case with Spider-Man and yet it's not okay to show Andrew Garfield's face. From what I can understand of your understanding of licensing law, then it should be unlawful to post drawings of actors as well as having photos of them without license. Best guess would be because Hot Toys was asked to do so by the studio for whatever reason. Not because of licensing approval.

Also, I never said that approval doesn't matter.

Could be that Hot Toys themselves aren't happy with the sculpt yet...(Garfield sculpt, I mean)

Could be that Hot Toys themselves aren't happy with the sculpt yet...(Garfield sculpt, I mean)

A likely possibility. I mean we can speculate on and on but all I'm saying is that saying that the blurring was done due to licensing issues has no basis in copyright law since displaying pictures or prototypes that are not for sale or, in other words, for journalistic purpose(s) is considered fair use.

Also, a person's face can NOT be copyrighted but if the purpose is other than journalistic or educational (i.e. commercial), then HT needs a Model Release signed by the actor. Since the actor has done so by contract for the filming purposes, then by default, HT only needs the approval of the respective studio which owns the movie's rights.

Anicom this week, wonder if we'll see first in hand pics of this guy? :panic:

Itching to get all these new Batman figures in my collection now :yess:

Anicom this week, wonder if we'll see first in hand pics of this guy? :panic:

Itching to get all these new Batman figures in my collection now :yess:

We better as he's getting released there! :lol

Wasn't he meant to be at SDCC as well though? :panic:

So you're comparing Hot Toys, a production company with global market, to an individual with limited production capacity who produces (amazing) headculpts? Doesn't sound fair now does it?

Yes, Iminime's may not be on par with this iteration but the fact remains the same. The likeness is off. When judging a headculpt, imagine it without color and compare it with photos of the actual character. If it's off it's off. Yes it's better than a talented artist's rendition, but it's still off.

Someone told me that you can't be objective in this forum. Please don't let that be the case.

Just so you know, HT sculpt will be held at a higher standard of scrutiny than any other custom sculpt out there. A custom sculpt only needs to get the approval of the person who sculpted it or the 20 person who bought it.

With HT, the sculpt has to actually gets the approval of the actor themselves or the studio representing the license. In order words, it will have to go through the highest level of scrutiny before being approved for release to the general public.

Sure, sometimes the sculpt might seem a little more idealize than we prefer but that's really the actor being a bit vain and ask the sculptor to make them younger or thinner, etc, etc.

How is it fair when HT gets a lot of flack for being slightly off while customs get praised for being very off? Don't even get me started on the iminime Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Alfred, and Agent Smith. They are still quite off but everyone is praising them. If it was HT producing these sculpts, people will be matching to the factory to burn it down.

Most importantly, my point is, any sculpt that HT makes has to go through the approval of the person they are sculpting or someone representing them. When the customs out there has to go through the same level of scrutiny as HT, only then we should talk about being fair.

As of now, customs or unlicensed stuff gets a lot of free pass.

Just so you know, HT sculpt will be held at a higher standard of scrutiny than any other custom sculpt out there. A custom sculpt only needs to get the approval of the person who sculpted it or the 20 person who bought it.

With HT, the sculpt has to actually gets the approval of the actor themselves or the studio representing the license. In order words, it will have to go through the highest level of scrutiny before being approved for release to the general public.

Sure, sometimes the sculpt might seem a little more idealize than we prefer but that's really the actor being a bit vain and ask the sculptor to make them younger or thinner, etc, etc.

How is it fair when HT gets a lot of flack for being slightly off while customs get praised for being very off? Don't even get me started on the iminime Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Alfred, and Agent Smith. They are still quite off but everyone is praising them. If it was HT producing these sculpts, people will be matching to the factory to burn it down.

Most importantly, my point is, any sculpt that HT makes has to go through the approval of the person they are sculpting or someone representing them. When the customs out there has to go through the same level of scrutiny as HT, only then we should talk about being fair.

As of now, customs or unlicensed stuff gets a lot of free pass.

I agree, I know and actually that was also the point I was making. I just don't want to slack off those customizers. But there are some bits in your post that sound more like conjecture to me.

And no, HT only needs the approval of the studio owning the rights to the movie. The actor's likeness in the movie is owned by the studio once the actor has signed the contract with the production company (UNLESS they specifically asked for additional clauses within said contract to be in control of merchandising based on their likeness! I think you're on to something there noisetrigger). A separate legal paper is called Model Release and it's only applicable for the depiction of said actor as an individual or him/her-self.

customs or unlicensed stuff gets a lot of free pass? Not really. It's illegal by definition, which is why they have to use different names of their customs.

Back