InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking the 1st non influencer batches from someone like kit would be around end of July/August.

Batman has both Bats and Bruce so could be why it's taking a bit longer.

And that’s my issue with that…why not have these batches release closer to one another? If it was to answer HT version being released but they’re still not ready with the general audience batch numbers…what difference does it make if the VIP/Influencer batch was pushed back and released 2 weeks before the peasant batch? this slight delay also helps the wait time between future batches feel even shorter. Just baffling decisions all around.

Maybe this will help me keep Gandalf longer, but I do think Aragorn will be my only LOTR figure if he turns out as good as the proto.

Maybe I shouldn't try to paraphrase what they said, my understanding of QC batch was more that there are a lot of moving parts that need to come together to produce these figures, as such, you don't want to have them all produced at the same time. They do a small batch and QC them to makes sure production is up to quality. When it is, you order the rest, as fast as they can be produced (bottle necks such as hair rooting by hand). In batman's case, apparently it was an issue with the bat-signal. Retailers get them in order and choose to send them in whatever order they want, via whatever method (sea vs air ship).

They choose to give those few initial batch to folks that have a large public following. To drum up support for their other pre orders. They don't have HT bankroll and can much less afford low PO numbers. The reason they don't hold those, not saying I agree with it, is to hit deadlines and drum up interest. Because if they want to put X amount of figures up for pre order, every post will be full of "Wheres Batman? Wheres Aragorn?".

The fact that they choose to share this info at all, and open themselves up to scrutiny, is to me commendable. It's a 1000% more than HT does. I appreciate this glimpse into the manufacturing side of things, helps me be more patient.

They also explained what was going on with the rings from Gandalf, apparently it was a third party they contracted to make those, and they switched materials half way through the run and QC didn't catch it. They ordered more and are working with retailers to correct the issue.

Like…wth? It’s kind of insulting to be honest. I don’t for a second believe John’s “QC batch”. Wanna know why? BECAUSE YOU DO NOT WANT THOSE INFLUENCERS TO REVIEW A POTENTIALLY FLAWED FIGURE.
While it's not typical in the 1/6 world to have QC batches, it's not unheard of altogether; however, usually not for officially licensed products. Many 3rd party transformer companies will send a few early copies to put reviews out as well as get feedback from the reviewers on what they could improve on (whether it's paint, clearance issues, molding, joint tightness, if light-up functions are working properly, etc.), then the company decides if those improvements are able to be implemented for mass production.

Maybe I shouldn't try to paraphrase what they said, my understanding of QC batch was more that there are a lot of moving parts that need to come together to produce these figures, as such, you don't want to have them all produced at the same time. They do a small batch and QC them to makes sure production is up to quality. When it is, you order the rest, as fast as they can be produced (bottle necks such as hair rooting by hand). In batman's case, apparently it was an issue with the bat-signal. Retailers get them in order and choose to send them in whatever order they want, via whatever method (sea vs air ship).

They choose to give those few initial batch to folks that have a large public following. To drum up support for their other pre orders. They don't have HT bankroll and can much less afford low PO numbers. The reason they don't hold those, not saying I agree with it, is to hit deadlines and drum up interest. Because if they want to put X amount of figures up for pre order, every post will be full of "Wheres Batman? Wheres Aragorn?".

The fact that they choose to share this info at all, and open themselves up to scrutiny, is to me commendable. It's a 1000% more than HT does. I appreciate this glimpse into the manufacturing side of things, helps me be more patient.

They also explained what was going on with the rings from Gandalf, apparently it was a third party they contracted to make those, and they switched materials half way through the run and QC didn't catch it. They ordered more and are working with retailers to correct the issue.

I appreciate this.

I also appreciate InArt sharing info they’re allowed to share. That I’ve never had any issues with…though some answers/info John has given does at times border on ‘automated response’…again, it’s to be expected and I never held that against him or the company.

Whilst I agree that there are plenty of moving parts and nuance to the choices they make…there’s still some connective tissue that isn’t pulling it together for me. I’d already suggested that if InArt wants to drum up interest in a character like…Ron Weasley, do what they did before with Ledger Joker and Gandalf: an EARLY EARLY preview of the proto figure sent to the likes of Justin or another influencer with similar sub numbers. A TWO month advanced review copy of The Batman or Aragorn does not make me interested in a Ron Weasley (though I did PO him because I already have Harry PO’d…gotta have the 3 core characters, but if I can pass on him, I would have). Expanding brand awareness, sure. But to promote another figure from another IP…I don’t know about that.

At this junction, I have no choice but to be patient. But this “potentially getting free products-first class influencer/vip” vs ‘paying customer-taking a backseat because we can’t promote item’ does NOT sit well with me.

InArt needs to re-evaluate this aspect of their marketing or sales. It’s not a good look IMO.

While it's not typical in the 1/6 world to have QC batches, it's not unheard of altogether; however, usually not for officially licensed products. Many 3rd party transformer companies will send a few early copies to put reviews out as well as get feedback from the reviewers on what they could improve on (whether it's paint, clearance issues, molding, joint tightness, if light-up functions are working properly, etc.), then the company decides if those improvements are able to be implemented for mass production.

Yup! You and I are really familiar with these unofficial TF QC batches. Benscollectables and a few others have brought brand and product awareness to me for items that still have open PO’s. From my perspective THAT’S the main difference between InArt’s and 3rd party TF companies, and IMO much more preferable. Advanced copies and ASSURANCES of fixes for OPEN PREORDERS up until release: PROFIT.

Whereas inArt’s process:

2 month advanced review of Aragorn:

“Oh cool! Where can I get it?!”

“ummm…you can’t”

“yo…someone gonna tell him?”

“pfft, loser! You’re about a year and a half head stuck up your *** late!…you dork! Sucks to be you suckaaaaaa”

Wow, cool. Thanks InArt. Great process you have there.

I personally don't mind at all if they send figures to early reviewers and such. I mean, studios have been doing that with movies and TV forever. Publishers do it with books. May not be super common in the collectibles world, but it's not unheard of in marketing.

However, unless they're planning to re-open an ordering window, it can't do anything for sales of this particular figure, considering it's already pre-sold out. So there's a pretty good argument for why they shouldn't need to do it at all in this case. But I can't work up any ill will over it. If it works for them, more power to them.

If anything, they probably shouldn't have told us. Sometimes showing people how the soup is made can invite too many cooks into the kitchen. Give us a tiny crumb of information and we collectors can become dangerous! :lol

For me, as long as he looks good, I'll be happy to get him whatever batch he's in.

Would you really think the "your royal highness" batch is meant to give Inart a testing ground to see if the figures are up to QC considering part of that batch is their VIP clientele? They'll probably raise a big stink about it and swear off inart products given how nasty the mainland Chinese collectors can get with their feedback from what I've read. Unless that's not true at all.

Would you really think the "your royal highness" batch is meant to give Inart a testing ground to see if the figures are up to QC considering part of that batch is their VIP clientele? They'll probably raise a big stink about it and swear off inart products given how nasty the mainland Chinese collectors can get with their feedback from what I've read. Unless that's not true at all.

Lol this is why I doubt the “royal highness first and only to be boarded and sent to habitable planet in case of earth exploding VIP QC batch”. ESPECIALLY with regards to the Chinese market. You and I and many more here KNOW Chinese collectors are far more vicious than us.

Aside from Will trying to be funny and downtalking the importance of Gimli next to Aragorn adn Legolas, the most interesting part is when John says that HP doesnt do as well as LOTR and DC does.
Not surprised tbh. The merchandise that sells are the outfits, wands, LEGOS, book variants. Action figures are on the lowest end of that spectrum, and with 1/6, a market that only appeals to adult men that have no attachment to little boys not named John Conner…1/6 HP not doing well is to be expected.

Yup! You and I are really familiar with these unofficial TF QC batches. Benscollectables and a few others have brought brand and product awareness to me for items that still have open PO’s. From my perspective THAT’S the main difference between InArt’s and 3rd party TF companies, and IMO much more preferable. Advanced copies and ASSURANCES of fixes for OPEN PREORDERS up until release: PROFIT.
Ahh yes, I didn't consider the fact that usually the TFs are still available for PO whereas InArt stuff is already sold out so it definitely doesn't make sense for them :slap
However, unless they're planning to re-open an ordering window, it can't do anything for sales of this particular figure, considering it's already pre-sold out. So there's a pretty good argument for why they shouldn't need to do it at all in this case. But I can't work up any ill will over it. If it works for them, more power to them.
Agreed. It's a bit annoying. But I also don't mind the wait, not enough to get upset about it. For some, like the Batman for instance, it gives me more time to see if I want to follow through with the PO. For others, like Aragorn, I'm going to want it regardless
given how nasty the mainland Chinese collectors can get with their feedback from what I've read. Unless that's not true at all.
You and I and many more here KNOW Chinese collectors are far more vicious than us.
Yea, Chinese collector's really don't hold back from what I've seen. This forum can get pretty nasty (like how bad some of the Asmus threads turned out), but I'd say, while close, it still was not as bad as what I've seen from some Chinese collectors

Not surprised tbh. The merchandise that sells are the outfits, wands, LEGOS, book variants. Action figures are on the lowest end of that spectrum, and with 1/6, a market that only appeals to adult men that have no attachment to little boys not named John Conner…1/6 HP not doing well is to be expected.
Agree, I have absolutely no attachment to HP myself exactly why you wrote.

Aside from Will trying to be funny and downtalking the importance of Gimli next to Aragorn adn Legolas, the most interesting part is when John says that HP doesnt do as well as LOTR and DC does.

I like Will…

But taking jabs at Gimli…that’s asking for trouble.

TAKE IT BACK WILL! I know you see this!!

😡😡😡😡

Yea, Chinese collector's really don't hold back from what I've seen. This forum can get pretty nasty (like how bad some of the Asmus threads turned out), but I'd say, while close, it still was not as bad as what I've seen from some Chinese collectors

Yup! 🤣

One of the things I learned from my time in Guang Zhou China was to never open a restaurant there. Because GZers are THE most nit picky and critical of the food they’re served.

That’s for food.

Now we’re talking about figures that cost $500-$1000

To even consider sending QC batches to this markets most critical and vocal community…

IMG_2616.jpeg

I don’t mind “influencer batches” but what they should be doing is holding off on review photos and videos from releasing until roughly a week from the real batch shipping out.

People getting products ahead of time for review is nothing new. I don’t see why this is any different. It’s nothing to really get mad over. YouTubers have been getting products for review from companies for ages.

What feels annoying is seeing these review photos/videos being posted a month or longer from the actual batches for customers being released. Send the figures early to those people if you have to but just tell them to hold off on releasing review photos until you’re actually close to shipping them out to the masses.

I don’t mind “influencer batches” but what they should be doing is holding off on review photos and videos from releasing until roughly a week from the real batch shipping out.

People getting products ahead of time for review is nothing new. I don’t see why this is any different. It’s nothing to really get mad over. YouTubers have been getting products for review from companies for ages.

What feels annoying is seeing these review photos/videos being posted a month or longer from the actual batches for customers being released. Send the figures early to those people if you have to but just tell them to hold off on releasing review photos until you’re actually close to shipping them out to the masses.

Exactly this. What they’re doing now serves no purpose other than “oh hey it does look good after all, guess I’ll keep my PO. Wuzzat? I won’t be getting it till when? 2 months from now??”

And on some level, their current plan of action is ‘de-valuing’ their customers. ‘Influencer batch. VIP batch’…like, it’s some pretentious club with “EARLY ACCESS FOR THE ELITE”

I know I’m exaggerating, but it doesn’t feel good knowing we’re not priority. Your suggestion of holding off on releasing reviews helps the ‘peasant’ customer at least feel valued, that our patronage is just as important as the rest.

i can get even pettier with this rationale:

“I PO’d TWO Joaquin Jokers…that’s $2k a pop right there. But why is this influencer who is most likely getting it for free, or that VIP getting it first? Oh, so I’m not a valued customer after all…even though I’d purchased 2 of this and that…got it. Message is crystal clear.”

I dunno, someone at InArt clearly didn’t think this through. they really need to re-evaluate this process.

Don't really care about the "influencer batch", you'd be waiting the same amount of time for yours regardless.

"Influencers" get games, shows, movies, make up products, trading cards... everything before us "regular" folk. This is not a new strategy in the world of business.

Back