InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the key thing to make or break an Aragorn sculpt is the paint apps. Some of the earlier figures from SSC, Asmus and…sorry I don’t remember the other companies, but their attempts had a decent sculpt but ruined by paint apps. Like so:

I saved these pics from the Asmus thread years ago with the desire but never to be fulfilled aspirations of modding my Asmus Aragorn to look like that. But as you can tell the base sculpt was actually pretty decent, only for the sculpted hair and paint apps around the beard to throw it all off.

Then we have these:

I can’t put my finger on what’s throwing it off. It’s clearly not right, and if anything he looks more like boromir here. Then with slight adjustments, we get:

I’d like to hear others thoughts on this. What makes or breaks Aragorns portrait?
IMO the InArt paint or portrait proto is too soft-eyed/young looking. Don't know how else to put it. Maybe more shading is needed.

I ordered it anyway; but Aragorn isn't my favorite character.. I didn't think their Gandalf was perfect either (too robust/handsome). That tease isn't blowing me away.

It's like Prime 1 gets so close; but not perfect IMO. On the other hand, until more production pieces show up in hand, I don't think we really know anything.

Last edited:
All right, Kit is a master troll. Taking the "unfutzed" amateur first shot of a figure to the next level haha. Very excited and nervous to see reviews. Hopefully they can keep their streak of proto to production going.
People are already bitching about it

People are already bitching about it
Yep, in fairness I don't think Kit actually took the pics, apparently it's floating around on Chinese tik tok. I've been in the game long enough to know you can take the most stunning sculpt ever, and if you put it in a acrylic cylinder with Styrofoam on it's top and bad lighting and angle, you can make it look terrible. Will be waiting for better pics. InArt should really have better control over what pics of the actual product go out first, though.

You can't stop 1 person in 4 billion to take a quick snap of something you're not supposed to photograph.

It's all uphill from here.

I will say, those that are so dissatisfied with that first picture, so riled up over the possibility that this figure won't meet proto-level, should absolutely cancel their orders now before its too late.

:D

Hypothetically, couldn't these companies show us a prototype, then go in and double the texture, and then cast those? So when they come out softened in production they're still textured the same as the proto? This is coming from someone who has no idea of 3d modeling and printing/casting works.

Doesn't work because most production heads are PVC which is a softer plastic and doesn't hold sharp detail. We could have production heads in a material that holds more detail, but then it would be more prone to damage, because it's a harder material.

inart aragorn power rangers.jpg

Doesn't work because most production heads are PVC which is a softer plastic and doesn't hold sharp detail. We could have production heads in a material that holds more detail, but then it would be more prone to damage, because it's a harder material.
That's really interesting to know, I always thought they were Resin.

Do you know what the prototype head materials are made from?

Do you know what the prototype head materials are made from?

It's almost always resin. Traditional sculptors will sculpt in various mediums, but usually some form of clay, maybe wax, but ultimately that approved sculpt will be cast in resin, for security and durability, because waxes and clays are always soft, some you can heat up to "cook" so it hardens, but resin is most common.

Digital sculptors will print in resin. I think I've read of some printers that can print in ABS, that's a harder plastic that standard jointed bodies are made of. Even on PVC bodies, or "muscle bodies" as they commonly referred to, the joints are ABS plastic because it's much more durable. Joints aren't made of PVC because they'd bend and flex.

Back