InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking this has so many options for different looks. I might do strider first so removing the gauntlets and not adding the knife yet. But I'm glad you have an option on how to display all three looks from the films, unless you get a red shirt to go for TT or ROTK.

my poor mans (sculpted) version, is scheduled to be delivered Monday!!
I ordered the sculpted. I'm a "set it and forget it" type of guy. I don't see myself spending hours styling 1/6 hair. I know I would be very frustrated even if a strand of hair was off. I'm not a poor man. I just prefer sculpted.

I ordered the sculpted. I'm a "set it and forget it" type of guy. I don't see myself spending hours styling 1/6 hair. I know I would be very frustrated even if a strand of hair was off. I'm not a poor man. I just prefer sculpted.
I'm a sucker for having the biggest and best edition of something. Plus Gandalf is rooted so for the sake of consistency I need to go with rooted for the rest of the line.

I'm new at dealing with mohair hair but yeah, bet the folks here who've done rooting could talk probably about the patience needed. Tho some folks it looks like got the rooted Aragorn look right out of the box.

I just figure it goes with the 1/6 territory like picking up a 3rd party - am thinking of Captain America and Bucky here - and every single strap and lacing needed to be put on and fastened.

BTW, anyone know why there are tiny silver tabs on the string that's on the bit of cloth that's stuffed into the quiver? Or is that just film accuracy?

Not idly do the Leaves of Lorien fall….

IMG0242.jpeg

Last edited:
Did the cylinder head casing easily just pop up for y’all? I’m trying to twist the bottom piece clockwise, counterclockwise, still won’t come off

NO! And I still can't get the bottom off. I think mine's glued. I got the top off pretty easy and just took the head out that way.

I would like to get the stand out though at some point, so I can address the hair.

BTW, anyone know why there are tiny silver tabs on the string that's on the bit of cloth that's stuffed into the quiver? Or is that just film accuracy?
Film accuracy however the arrows are supposed to go into that grey bag rather than be separate from it. He has the arrows covered at various points throughout the film.

NO! And I still can't get the bottom off. I think mine's glued. I got the top off pretty easy and just took the head out that way.

I would like to get the stand out though at some point, so I can address the hair.
Yeah, I had to pop the top off and make my way through the foam too.

It probably is glued. It took a heck of a lot of force for me to get the bottom off of mine and it was b/c it was glued to the base. I can see some of the residue along one of the edges. Whatever glue they use for the T-1000 base that holds the heads must've not been dry before they closed it with the clear cylinder. You're going to have to use some serious elbow grease to get it off that base.

I really want this figure but since its sold out the only option i have in my country are either buy the rooted version for $1000 or the sculpted version for $875. Which version should i go for? Do you think it is not worth buying at all for these prices?

Toysbuyingagent still have stock for the rooted and ready to ship. I paid €680 shipped there and it got delivered from HK to the Netherlands in just 4 freaking days. So higly recommend that place😉

Did the cylinder head casing easily just pop up for y’all? I’m trying to twist the bottom piece clockwise, counterclockwise, still won’t come off

I haven't got my Aragorn yet but I had a very similar experience to this with my Gandalf. I put elastic bands around the top and bottom black rings, twisted it forever and ever but it wouldn't lift off properly. When I eventually got it open it took so much force that I almost smacked the cylinder against the sculpt. I don't see any glue residue, so I'm not sure what was going on. If it's not budging, it might be safer to go through the top or figure out another way to bust him out of there.

Not at all! I needed to use a flat screwdriver to work around the edges and pry the bottom off as gently as I could. But that was after half an hour of absolutely wrecking my hands trying to twist it open,

7/10 is my rating on this one.

And In my opinion the only real winners this time are the ones who got the sculpted hair.

First let me say the good things, the tailoring apart from the elven cloak is excellent. The accessories are excellent. As always the whole presentation is excellent . And I do like the sculpt bare bones wise there’s a lot to work with

But the rest is a bit of a fail in my opinion. Sorry to say but this is the first inart I’ve seen where I think they dropped the ball production wise.

Let me most get this rant out of the way. As someone who does rooted hair in figures I was skeptical that they could pull it off in mass scale and my theory’s have been proven right. For half a thousand dollars plus, there should be no doubt what you’re getting but instead this is almost like blind box figures. It’s insane how badly I’ve seen the variation of the hairs on both Gandalf and Aragorn. And it radically radically changes the likeness. Sure you can mess with it and style it, but most collectors don’t have the gumption and even if they did most didn’t have the eye to make it look good, you should be giving the casual collector consistency out of the box. And I’m not saying they are not trying to. I’m just sort of saying I think it’s impossible.

Case in point with Aragorn. All the one I’ve seen apart from having too curly hair overall, have his forehead massively exposed. If you look at the prototype those bangs closed the gap on his forehead, they also were straighter and more natural looking. Maybe one lucky sole got one that looked like that in the prototype but mine and my brothers were so radically different that his whole cranium looked like a different shape.

Apart from being really nicely sculpted the sculpted hair actually holds the shape that makes him look like him. In my opinion if you have the skill to rework the hair you may come out ok. Most don’t hence those who have the rooted hair will actually have something that looks like him. At least that one above from Facebook also seemed to have a better painted beard

That also is an issue. Now we know with every company the hand painted prototype is going to look better but in this case the generic “Homer Simpson” gray wash on all of the beards I’ve seen is a total mess and absolutely loses any likeness it could. Viggo jaw and bottom half of face is incredibly nuanced and the shading of the beard in the wrong spots totally throws off the likeness.

Also the eyebrows are a completely different shape from both Viggo and from the prototype. I’ve said this for years and I’ve seen even the most technically skilled painters overlook this but eyebrows can totally make or break a likeness

so the head being bad out of the box is a big knock…

Then there is the body. Proportions are weird and it’s too bulky in the chest and shoulders

The cloak is a mess way too stiff and doesn’t drape nicely especially around his neck and shoulders. Thank goodness I still had my ACI one. I swapped the buckles but it was a 200% upgrade right there

Why such a high score if I dislike it so much! Because it IS still impressive overall. And it’s a quality piece and the right stuff is there to work with.

But they just can’t quite pull this off on a massive scale.

I’ll continue to get rooted versions because I have the skill to make it look good but if I were the casual collector I’d say from here on out I’d advise all to go with the sculpted hair.

For those who follow me on instagram @RFCustomFigures I’ll be showing the rework soon. I fixed the beard and eyebrows and other small tweaks to bring out his likeness. I also messed with the hair a bit to get his forehead less exposed ill likely still mess with it further

Last edited:
I’ll continue to get rooted versions because I have the skill to make it look good but if I were the casual collector I’d say from here on out I’d advise all to go with the sculpted hair.
I’m no good at styling and I’m pretty happy with mine, as well as my Gandalf and Batman.

I’ve never even attempted to customise a figure before and this really didn’t talk all that much work to get to a point where I was happy with it

Sculpted definitely has its convenience, but I don't think IA's sculpting/painting for hair is quite on the level of HT, if I'm honest. All the sculpted IA figures I've seen look really plastic-y and fake -- at least for figures with longer hair. Sculpted Battinson doesn't look too bad.

Sculpted definitely has its convenience, but I don't think IA's sculpting/painting for hair is quite on the level of HT, if I'm honest. All the sculpted IA figures I've seen look really plastic-y and fake -- at least for figures with longer hair. Sculpted Battinson doesn't look too bad.
The only sculpted INART figure I can confidently say I really like so far has been Dune Paul. Both sculpted Battinsons are pretty nice though, and Ledger Joker looks decent if people heated it up and pulled the strands away like INART showed in their video.

Back