James Cameron's AVATAR A.M.P. Suit Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh come on...why would I want hinges?...because their suppose to be there! I have little toy cars with hinges on every part that opens. Your telling me for $1200 they couldnt put hinges on this? That cockpit lid is probably light as a feather...its just thin transparent plastic. In the movie the top on the suit opened up pretty dam wide..almost vertical.
Your saying that wouldnt have been open enough to show the inner detail?. Imo this is a huge oversite, im sure the real 14 foot tall suit had hinges in that top. Like I've said 100 times....this should cost no more than $500. Even that is pushing it....

Chris

You know... all your bashing has the sounds of "sour grapes"... someone who can't afford it, so you're finding every means to bring it down you can, just so you feel better about not getting it. We get it... you think it's over priced... move on.

You know... all your bashing has the sounds of "sour grapes"... someone who can't afford it, so you're finding every means to bring it down you can, just so you feel better about not getting it. We get it... you think it's over priced... move on.

Its not bashing, its the truth. What are you really paying for with this? Its an entire statue made of plastic with missing hinges to open the cockpit lid. It makes sense to pick things apart the more they cost. What are you really paying for when buying this?

Oh, along side collecting statues and busts I also collect 1/8 scale cars whos average price is between $5000-$6000 each. Lets not play the money card shall we.

Chris

Its not bashing, its the truth. What are you really paying for with this? Its an entire statue made of plastic with missing hinges to open the cockpit lid. It makes sense to pick things apart the more they cost. What are you really paying for when buying this?

Oh, along side collecting statues and busts I also collect 1/8 scale cars whos average price is between $5000-$6000 each. Lets not play the money card shall we.

Chris

i must say that i agree,i too think that its overpriced and its only heavy because of the base...i can afford it but i dont think that its worth the money...wait for the hot toys one....

Has hot toys mentioned anything about making one? It would have to be MASSIVE to be to scale with a 12" figure. And the argument that it should cost $500 is silly to me because first off there are only 500 of them-number two the production cost of the thing and the limited return since there are only 500, third- compare the detail and materials to another item that costs approx $500- like the ironman mark 1 maquette or a bust-they are just molded polystone and painted. Now that to me sounds overpriced-but we pay these prices because Sideshow is one of the best at what they do and we enjoy the look and display of these pieces.

This one is no different. If your favorite part of Avatar was the amp or if your like me and just love mechs nomatter what movie-Its a cool centerpiece for your collection. From what ive seen it looks pretty cool and big-Would I have liked to pay more-of course, but I dont feel like im getting ripped off. Next to my Ironman 1:1 bust-Im looking forward to this piece more than any I have bought.

Avatar could suck and I would still like the design of the suit. Quaritch I can live with but the amp looks bada**

Oh come on...why would I want hinges?...because their suppose to be there! I have little toy cars with hinges on every part that opens. Your telling me for $1200 they couldnt put hinges on this?

You spend $6000,- on little toy cars but $1200,- for a high end maquette is way too much for you ? :rotfl

com on Atheris666 how can you not like this!!! it looks bad---- i don't feel like ripped off considering there are only 500 and its the best movie ever made!! of course i wished i have payed less but who cares, what cares is that it will look great in my living room :)

You spend $6000,- on little toy cars but $1200,- for a high end maquette is way too much for you ? :rotfl

My little toy cars are about 2 feet long weigh about 60-70lbs each and are made of carbon fiber, kevlar, Titanium, steel, aluminum and leather. This AMP suit is $1200 and made of plastic. I never said I couldn't afford it...I simply said $1200 is to much for plastic.

Chris

Last edited:
com on Atheris666 how can you not like this!!! it looks bad---- i don't feel like ripped off considering there are only 500 and its the best movie ever made!! of course i wished i have payed less but who cares, what cares is that it will look great in my living room :)

That's just it man...I don't hate it. Infact, I really like it. I really want to get it...but the quality of the materials used is the only thing holding me back at that price point.

Chris

well, the fact is the other things we collect often colours how we perceive other things we are are contemplating on buying.

Chris collects 1:8 cars and for him, having durable materials and working parts are par for the course.

For others who do not collect cars, the material may not matter as much.

Some collectors just want movie replicas cast from the same moulds or hand made props.

Different strokes for different folks. Buy what you like with the limited space you have (i emphasize space as i think its space that's a greater constraint than money :)

I still haven't seen avatar and if I had the cash I would buy this, its not just an avatar robot. Its a giant robot with guns! Guns, guns guns!

well, the fact is the other things we collect often colours how we perceive other things we are are contemplating on buying.

Chris collects 1:8 cars and for him, having durable materials and working parts are par for the course.

For others who do not collect cars, the material may not matter as much.

Some collectors just want movie replicas cast from the same moulds or hand made props.

Different strokes for different folks. Buy what you like with the limited space you have (i emphasize space as i think its space that's a greater constraint than money :)

I understand your point...but it still beggs the question. Why does this piece cost so much? It cant be the materials..polystone and plastic are not very expensive. It cant be the metal used..thats fairly cheap also. I can see the paint application being somewhat costly and maybe acquiring the licence. Other than those two things...why is it still over $1000?

I compare this to CM's Batwing priced at $1500 and also with an ES of 500. Which is much more intricate, made of metal, fiberglass and polystone, is much larger AND has lighting incorporated. I can understand why the Batwing is priced the way it is. However I still cant understand why SS would price the AMP suit over $1000?

I dont know....I may just say screw it somewhere down the road and get it anyway. I consider myself a completist, and I know as soon as SS starts putting out other characters from this line Im going want to have this with them. But its still over priced...:mad:

Chris

...I compare this to CM's Batwing priced at $1500 and also with an ES of 500. Which is much more intricate, made of metal, fiberglass and polystone, is much larger AND has lighting incorporated. I can understand why the Batwing is priced the way it is. However I still cant understand why SS would price the AMP suit over $1000?...

I do not see where the Batwing is "much more intricate". Looking at the pictures of the Batwing vs the AMP suit on Sideshow's site, to me, the Batwing looks much less detailed; even the cockpit looks to have less detail. The Batwing is made of metal, fiberglass and polystone, but the AMP suit has all those and a few more, yet the Batwing, being only "slightly" larger, weighs half as much. The lights and wiring can't add too much to the cost because, as we've seen from some lighted 1/6th figures and Sideshow PF's with lights, their cost doesn't go up too drastically. So to be perfectly honest, I can't see the Batwing costing $1500... to me, that is just too high, just like all of the Cinematiques figures are as well.

"Tale of the Tape!"

Batwing
Product Size:14" H (355.6mm) x 27.5" W (698.5mm) x 23" D (584.2mm)*
Product Weight:22.00 lbs (9.98 kg)*

AMP Suit
Product Size:21" H (533.4mm) x 18.5" W (469.9mm) x 18.5" D (469.9mm)*
Product Weight:51.00 lbs (23.13 kg)*

I can't see the suit being plastic and the whole thing still weighing 51 pounds. I know the base will be heavy, but no where near that weight.

It's so damn expensive because Legacy Effects is involved and they scanned every little piece from the 1:1 AMP Suit so it's very accurate.

Tbh I thought the movie was pretty good and I didnt even see it in 3d. Its hardly life changing or anything but its far from a bad movie. I just have a feeling that box office receipts are influencing the price on this a little. And yeah I know it came out before the movie did but they already knew it was gonna be huge, maybe not as big as it turned out to be but you get the point

Not saying it won't be worth it maybe it will, I'll never know because I'm not interested enough in the property to buy it. But as I said, they know people will pay it so they charge it.

Back