JND / Kojun Works: LOTR - 1:6 Hobbits - Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merrin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any pics of Fleck deteriorating? I do think the silicone gimmick isn't gonna be suitable for this hobby. Who wants to spend 1k. On a figure that's gonna fall apart over years. 🤦

If you mean from me then I was joking, all of mine are fine. Wonder Woman had a patch of missing paint on the back of her leg that JND fixed for free and then customs damaged, but that's another story.

Statues with Silicone = fine. Poke the nose with some gloves on to get the gimmick squishy feeling out of the system, other than that there's no reason for a JND 1/3 to deteriorate or for a collector to interact with it.

The 1/6 is another story, I think there's more room for damage simply because some collectors won't afford themselves the extra care delicate materials need. It's silicone and malleable, paint is adhered to a softer surface, probably less binding than on a plastic surface (don't quote me on that), but over-handling probably will cause some damage. Just going by all the Hot Toys silicone or rubber seamless bodies (Wonder Woman), this probably will and can happen. I see these 1/6 as a hybrid statue, pose a little at first to get the gimmick out of the system and then few times after as more of a statue piece.

Generally I don't even touch the silicone aspects of my 1/3. It's not a slight of it, I think as a collector if you don't feel the silicone aspects of bringing a portrait to life is good or warranted then getting a 1/6 where there's a higher duty of care and perhaps more restrains than plastic portraits it probably isn't the collectible for a person.

Uff...

if the price is not absurd and they blend well with InArt...I might give this a shot. I defiantely want the Fellowship in High Quality

JND said the silicone manufacture told 30 years plus before any signs of degradation would be seen, I'd imagine longer to be honest if they're looked after.
I remember years ago when the photographic company Ilford introduced Cibachrome, a postitive to postitive print using a color slide for the image. Ilford said the print would be able to retain it's color for 800 years. This was a new technology: a dye destruction process, which meant that all colored dyes were on the paper before the image was projected onto it, and the developing process ate away at the color that wasn't art of the image. They said they used advanced aging techniques to create the archival tests.

Long story short, Ilford is no longer making Cibachrome.

I remember years ago when the photographic company Ilford introduced Cibachrome, a postitive to postitive print using a color slide for the image. Ilford said the print would be able to retain it's color for 800 years. This was a new technology: a dye destruction process, which meant that all colored dyes were on the paper before the image was projected onto it, and the developing process ate away at the color that wasn't art of the image. They said they used advanced aging techniques to create the archival tests.

Long story short, Ilford is no longer making Cibachrome.

That's fair. But this isn't a new technology, Silicone has been around for a long while, medical grade Silicone has been around for a long while and used extensively, the technology and durability of Silicone has improved. I get what you're saying but this isn't a new technology, so not really a great comparison, although interesting!

These are going to need to be utterly exceptional for me to be interested but personally I haven't been impressed with any of their headsculpts on 1/6th or statues so we will see how it plays out. I have much more faith in InArt doing a better overall job.

Back