Joker: Folie à Deux

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1728460008779.png

jack nicholson batman GIF

Last edited:
It’s crazy what damage a sequel
can do when it’s made with the same
people involved and relatively close in
production to one another.

I genuinely giggle when I see anything
from Phoenix Joker now, even the first film.

He’s not in the least bit threatening anymore.

You felt uneasy during the Murray scene,
because although he wasn’t capable of fighting his way out of a paper bag,
he was still a wild card unraveling right in front of you with nothing to lose.

However, that was before you watched him get the Joker raped out of his psyche and dragged back to his cell.
My go-to example of this effect is Wonder Woman '84
That movie was so terrible it retroactively murdered my enjoyment of the second one.
Which is precisely why I never go into sequels for movies I genuinely enjoyed anymore without waiting a good long time to see what the reception is.
And if the buzz is bad enough I then have to spoil the movie for myself by checking the plot to see if its as bad as I fear.
It kind of says a lot about modern Hollywood that I feel the need to protect myself from their output this way :ROFLMAO:
So I've not seen this movie and I will NEVER see this movie.

-> calls film disgusting
-> jokes about rape a lot anyway
Cry about it.

$37.8 million..

I’m not the one who figuratively and literally raped one of the most iconic characters of all time, in my movie.

$37.8 million..

The film is disgusting, name a single redeeming quality about it.

$37.8 million..

You can’t, you just like the character and actor so therefore they can do no wrong.

$37.8 million..

I don’t mind a disgusting film, so long as there’s merit to it, there’s zero here.

$37.8 million..

Your favorite director doesn’t even know what movie he’s made, denies it’s a musical before release, goes off into seclusion the week it premieres… attempts to bite Ledger’s Joker in his first movie because he’s a hack, is told to **** off, then does it anyways in the sequel?! Why go out of your way to disrespect a dead man, there’s a reason Nolan didn’t want it done.

Reviews are back!!
annnnd in an attempt to put out the fire,
oh he wasn’t supposed to be Joker in my movie, what made you think that?

IMG_4815.jpeg

IMG_4814.png

$37.8 million..

Audiences seem to believe Morbius had a better premise and I’ve never seen that one, or have ever met anyone in person who has.

N
Cry about it.

$37.8 million..

I’m not the one who figuratively and literally raped one of the most iconic characters of all time, in my movie.

$37.8 million..

The film is disgusting, name a single redeeming quality about it.

$37.8 million..

You can’t, you just like the character and actor so therefore they can do no wrong.

$37.8 million..

I don’t mind a disgusting film, so long as there’s merit to it, there’s zero here.

$37.8 million..

Your favorite director doesn’t even know what movie he’s made, denies it’s a musical before release, goes off into seclusion the week it premieres… attempts to bite Ledger’s Joker in his first movie because he’s a hack, is told to **** off, then does it anyways in the sequel?! Why go out of your way to disrespect a dead man, there’s a reason Nolan didn’t want it done.

Reviews are back!!
annnnd in an attempt to put out the fire,
oh he wasn’t supposed to be Joker in my movie, what made you think that?

View attachment 731592
View attachment 731593

$37.8 million..

Audiences seem to believe Morbius had a better premise and I’ve never seen that one, or have ever met anyone in person who has.

Nick, you're literally crying about it because you didn't like it, did you invest money in it or something?

They raped the money out your wallet or sumfin?

Just got back from the theater. I didn’t hate this.

It reminded me of the Last Jedi strangely. In parts this thing has a lot of good stuff in it but as a whole it’s a mess. The musical aspect could have worked with better songs. The visuals of them were fine but the singing was awful, perhaps intentionally, certainly so with Gaga at least. That was the big swing and a miss. I could see the vision but the execution left much to be desired. It could have worked and that’s probably something some test screenings could have helped with.

I’ve been popping in and out this thread all weekend so I went in with low expectations, which may have helped since it could only go up from there. Lots of beautiful shots in this and the non-musical score has that same haunting feeling from the first. That really helped create an atmosphere in Arkham.

I guess for me Arthur was never ‘the Joker’ we know from the comics. The first film seemingly established that to me. He’s ’a Joker’ but not the one were thinking he was going to be. I didn’t see this as a lack of character growth but that the character was never in line to become what some presumed he’d be. Arthur isn’t the same Arthur in this film, he has changed for sure but not in the way many were hoping, which has lead to a lot of the hate I think. This actually felt more realistic for him to have his 5 minutes of fame and then go back to what he was before. Knowing he could achieve some form of grandeur but only if he wasn’t his true self. He seems to accept that by the end, and his fans in the film aren’t accepting that much different than Joker fans in real life. Ironic.

This was a huge gamble and it just didn’t pay off. Remove the musical aspect, which admittedly was the core to Arthur and Harley’s relationship, and the rest of the movie is decent. Interesting choices for sure but the first film made some as well, albeit more successful and accepted ones. I was never the biggest Phoenix Joker fan. The first film is rough and a downer and not something I care to rewatch often. He’s fantastic for what the character is but he’s just not the Joker we really wanted. This guy was never meant to go toe to toe with a Batman.

These are an arthouse films about mental illness thinly wrapped in comic book packaging. An ‘Arthur Fleck’ film would have done well in the Oscar and festival circles but wouldn’t have made a billion dollars at the box office. Suddenly call it Joker and everyone goes to see it. The story could certainly have worked without the DC branding but the box office success would have been severely limited. This just wasn’t meant to be apart of a larger DC universe.
It’s being reported that the original plan was to have them start out singing out of key as any real bad singer would do and then once the fantasy element kicked in, they would turn into amazing singers.

That might’ve worked better.

Yep, yep... keep going...
Anything past T2 never happened.
Star Wars only consists of Prequels and originals.

Matrix 2 and 3 should also have never been, it because Matrix 4 was an abomination, they sort of exist.

Predator had 3 good movies....and no Prey isn't one of the three.

Anything past T2 never happened.
Star Wars only consists of Prequels and originals.

Matrix 2 and 3 should also have never been, it because Matrix 4 was an abomination, they sort of exist.

Predator had 3 good movies....and no Prey isn't one of the three.
What is the third? The Predator ?

After the actual numbers came in on Monday morning, it was revealed that director Todd Phillips' "Joker" sequel took in a mere $37.8 million on opening weekend — below even 2022's "Morbius.

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/1682446/joker-2-box-office-bomb-movies-benefited/

At the end of the day,

WB, Phoenix and Phillips suffer from this.
We don’t actually care. In a years time,
we’ll have forgotten about this film completely and if not, we’ll remember that Phoenix delivered a Joker that got outperformed by Morbius opening weekend.
...and by The Marvels. Somewhere Brie Larson & @Zurdo95D are smiling...

I have not seen this movie. First one was alright.

From what I am reading in this thread and other reviews, this is the cinematic equivalent of inviting the city to a parade, promising a bunch of free money, and gassing the audience to death?

Making and releasing this movie is the most "Joker" thing you can do, short of actually harming the audience.

But joke's on the filmmakers, since no one showed up to the parade.

10/10, 5 stars, no notes.

Nick, you're literally crying about it because you didn't like it, did you invest money in it or something?
No,

but WB did. :rotfl

Also, why’s this about me?
The whole world doesn’t like this film, obviously.. $37.8 million…

Back