Joker: Folie à Deux

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Heath joker but I’ll never understand the need for people to always have him be literal perfection in toy form. As long as he looks like Heath joker I’m happy.

Something I've learned about this hobby long ago, and this is even with a nearly full decade hiatus, is that every collector has something they get wonky about when it comes to this stuff.

For example, I can live with a sort of not so great body type. Or even the uniform/clothes aren't so perfect. But I need the guns right. I need the guns made well and I need all the guns that the person carried in the TV show or film. I'm probably more senstive to the weapons loadout of a modern current set than most other collectors.

But everyone is different. Some people get hard edge about the face sculpt. But the general rule is as the price point goes up, the expectations go up. Another collector I know bought a TMNT figure from like Burlington, a discount outlet. When he got it home, after messing with it a little, one of the arms fell off. I mean that sucks, but it's like a 10 dollar figure on a clearance rack. But even myself, when I got the first HT Samurai Predator, many years ago, I went over that MFer with a fine tooth comb when I got it. I had never spent that much on a set in my life.

My take is once you get a certain price threshold, you are also buying, as a collector, the right to no longer hear any more excuses from a brand. I also get that. If it's a personal grail or something you'll use as a centerpiece, you want to look at it and not have to wish it was just a little different.

Every collector is that donkey in the video I posted above. Even me. We all have a "red ball" in this hobby that drives us nuts. When does passion become toxicity? I don't know sometimes. We all value different things in this hobby. For example, I am often perplexed when people in this forum section, for film, start panning a movie before they've even seen it, or before it's even released. But I also don't know what that franchise might have meant to them as kids. It's hard to gauge sometimes.

We are all that donkey sometimes. Our hobby is that red ball sometimes. Just how it works.

Back