JURASSIC PARK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got charged my first flex payment. Looking for the dio in november. Sound about right?

They have to continue this line especially with some maquettes and busts...it would really be a sad and pathetic use of a license on sideshow's part if they end the line with just one Dio.

I don't think if the license ended with this dio that it'd be a bad reflection on SSC. They acquired the license because they enjoy the subject matter, they put effort into a piece, it's not selling well. I'd applaud SSC for trying. I don't think anything's going to make the license boom, especially with so many other hot properties going strong right now, a 15 year old movie that didn't quite have the impact of say Predator or Alien, is going to struggle to seel against more in demand properties.

The only JP pieces I could see selling like hotcakes would be articulated dinosaurs from Hot Toys. Take what we had as kids from Kenner and let HT make them into accurrate adult versions and people'd go crazy, but statues, dios and maquettes are only going to be so successful.

I don't think if the license ended with this dio that it'd be a bad reflection on SSC. They acquired the license because they enjoy the subject matter, they put effort into a piece, it's not selling well. I'd applaud SSC for trying. I don't think anything's going to make the license boom, especially with so many other hot properties going strong right now, a 15 year old movie that didn't quite have the impact of say Predator or Alien, is going to struggle to seel against more in demand properties.

The only JP pieces I could see selling like hotcakes would be articulated dinosaurs from Hot Toys. Take what we had as kids from Kenner and let HT make them into accurrate adult versions and people'd go crazy, but statues, dios and maquettes are only going to be so successful.

I'd argue that Jp had much more impact than Predator. Not the the first Alien but the rest yes it does. It pushed CGI and special effects to a place no one had ever seen before not to mention it's a great film, that's nearly a cult classic nowadays.

I'd argue that Jp had much more impact than Predator. Not the the first Alien but the rest yes it does. It pushed CGI and special effects to a place no one had ever seen before not to mention it's a great film, that's nearly a cult classic nowadays.

Yes it impacted the film world, but I don't think it had the same impact on the people who'd support products lines. Kids are exposed to dinosaurs from childhood a lot of times, so while JP offered a new visual and all, the actual creatures weren't totally new, whereas things like ALIEN and Predator offer creatures unlike anything you've ever seen and it captivates folks more and gets their attention more when it comes to collectibles. Dinosaurs are a dime a dozen in the world, but Aliens and Predators are just getting their time in the past couple years.

Perfect example, low-cost, highly detailed, pretty damn faithful, very nice dinosaurs based on JP designs, they're only like 8" or so, but still, affordable and well made. When you can get stuff this nice for cheap, where's the draw to high end collectibles. These offer as nice a display I think and probably are close to the scale of the Sideshow dio. I'm not putting down the dio, I love it, just saying JP as a property only has a few routes it can go and sell well.

My three yr. old is into dragons and dinosaurs right now and while searching around the net for some toys for him I stumbled on these cool Dinos by Papo. They are not official JP but they are based on JP dinos and they look great. I got most of them for my son and three for myself. I LOVE THESE THINGS!!! And they are really pretty cheap. Happy Hen Toys has the T-Rex and Spino for 16.00 a piece and the raptor was 8.99. Orders over 69.00 are free shiping and the guy is fast! Got mine in 2 days. The detail on these things are great and my photos don't do them justice. Oh and the mouths on the Rex, Spino and raptor all open and close. Very cool.

P1050891.jpg

P1050890.jpg

P1050896.jpg

P1050898.jpg

P1050900.jpg

P1050903.jpg

P1050904.jpg

P1050905.jpg

I don't think that's what he meant. CGI and special effects doesnt give you a fan base like Alien/Aliens and Predator have. People want to buy that stuff because of Aliens and Predators and Dutch and Hicks and so on. There's not as many people who want dinosaurs or Dr. Grant or Dr. Malcolm.

And i can see Sean just answered your post also :D

I don't think that's what he meant. CGI and special effects doesnt give you a fan base like Alien/Aliens and Predator have. People want to buy that stuff because of Aliens and Predators and Dutch and Hicks and so on. There's not as many people who want dinosaurs or Dr. Grant or Dr. Malcolm.

And i can see Sean just answered your post also :D

hell i do...lol

Got 'em. Produced by Papo. They're quite magnificent. They recently released an Allosaurus that I've been dying to get my hands on; it's not a JP dino, per se, but it is done in the Todd Marshall art style. Very, very nice piece. Would have already purchased it, but sadly, the HT TDK products have been pummeling my checking account with a force that would rival most pugilists.

I can see what you're saying from the POV of collectors. The Alien and Predator are completely original designs as opposed to having basis in actual creatures. Being real (though with some artistic licensing), the JP dinos are grounded in familiarity, and it's precisely from that familiarity where it draws its appeal, as opposed to the originality of the Alien and Predator designs. Completely different factors which both contribute to the appeal of the different mythos.

Most people I know have seen Jurassic Park, and most of my fellow science geek friends have read the novel over and over again (I read JP and TLW every year). That said, I know people who have never seen Alien or Predator. I exposed my roommates to Predator this past year and they adored it, though they weren't exactly receptive to Alien. They said that the Xenomorph looking clearly like a man in a suit when viewed upclose really took them out of the moment. It's a shame because I know they would have loved Aliens (who wouldn't?) since it adds an element of animal savagery to the aliens in terms of appearance.

Point being, not only has Jurassic Park influenced the way special effects are done, but also how people view dinosaurs and made Velociraptor a household name. It's something I can consistently count on the people I'm speaking with to be familiar with in some shape or form... sadly doesn't hold true for your average Joe in terms of the Alien and Predator franchises. I think the Alien and Predator are niche markets that have die hard collectors in horror in sci-fi fans due to their unique originality. Your average JP collector probably has all of the original figures (with some like the original adult T.rex having a lot of screen accuracy going for it), and even today has some recent affordable alternatives that sport remarkable likenesses to the movie dinos. Having been mod and co-admin on a few JP forums (Jurassic Island having been the most successful in recent years), the people with whom I spoke about the SS piece consider it a wet dream, they just wish it were more affordable.

the people with whom I spoke about the SS piece consider it a wet dream, they just wish it were more affordable.

That's the main thing I'm driving at, not that there isn't a market, just that not so much one for pieces in the price range of the JP dio, or certainly not to spend that much on a dio. I'm sure a fully articulated Hot Toys Rex at $200 would sell no sweat, but $250-$500 statues and dios could have a hard time.

20,000 Jurassic park fans will likely spend less than $5000 Alien/Predator fans. Those properties thrive not on the numbers of people but that the fans are willing to spend big bucks. JP has fans I'm sure, but not out to spend really big bucks, or more selective as to what they spend it on.

20,000 Jurassic park fans will likely spend less than $5000 Alien/Predator fans. Those properties thrive not on the numbers of people but that the fans are willing to spend big bucks. JP has fans I'm sure, but not out to spend really big bucks, or more selective as to what they spend it on.

That's the main thing, it's having to spend the money. It's, actually, not about articulation. They, like myself, are largely content with dios and maquettes as long as the dinos we have come to know and love are depicted in a manner that is either reminiscent of a classic scene or true to the nature of the dino. Articulation would be an afterthought. It's affordability that is the make or break factor. That being said, I will more than happily shell out for JP products by SS, as shall many of my associates. :D

Me too. I feel the JP franchise is much stronger than the Predator one which contains 1 good film, 1 bad film, and two bad spin offs. Where as I view JP and the JP trilogy stronger films all around.

Yea the JP films are definitely great films in my books and I want too see more collectibles made :monkey3

Yeah, but JP had a limited comic series while Predator has spawned countless series' that are still being published, likewise Aliens has accomplished the same thing. The movies weren't all great but they crossed over very well into other mediums, including comic books, novels, and videogames.

Yeah, but JP had a limited comic series while Predator has spawned countless series' that are still being published, likewise Aliens has accomplished the same thing. The movies weren't all great but they crossed over very well into other mediums, including comic books, novels, and videogames.

But you have to keep in mind that, unlike Alien and Predator, JP had its foundations in a first hugely successful novel, followed by an equally successful sequel (is it any wonder that the only movie in the trilogy that wasn't up to par had no source material :rolleyes:). The comics were ancillary and weren't considered to be canon... more like entertainment for the fans. Have all of them myself, and while there were some excellent stories involved, like the smuggling of Velociraptor chicks to a drug lord in South America, one can't really gather a wide range of stories from the time of the dinosaurs' creation to the time of the Park disaster. There were "accidents", but not each one could have had an entire comic devoted to it... otherwise the Park wouldn't have seemed so majestic and benign at first glimpse.

Point being that the Yautja and Xenomorph from Predator and Alien respectively are species that have existed for a long, long time... whereas the dinosaurs were only recently thrown back into the mix together with man. There were a limited number of stories to draw upon with JP for the comic series, though when TLW was released, that did change things.

Has anyone watched the video on this piece, under additional video features? First of all, the dude looks majorly stupid in the beginning singing the theme song, whose idea was that?

Anyways, my concern is, does the T-Rex look a little too green to anybody else? Compared to the prototype pictures, his skin seems a bit too dark shade of green. Anybody else agree?

I wouldn't worry, that video's from the same time the piece went up for pre-order, I think it's just the lighting of the vid or something, but it's not a recent video with different paint apps.

How can you not get a kick out of Klauder humming the JP Theme? That was my ring tone at one point. :lol

In a way it reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Peter, Joe and Cleveland staged Quagmire's death and in the video they faked he was eaten by a dinosaur and Peter hummed the JP theme as it was eating him, funny ^^^^.

Back