Kaustic Plastik / Infinite Statue / SD Toys - 1/6 Universal Monsters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.
I don't understand the question though. Do I have a drawing with Countess Dracula ? No. This one is a reference to her role in Vampire Lovers, the Carmilla adaptation by Hammer studios, another good movie. I didn't make another drawing with Ingrid Pitt.
I just thought you may have made other movie posters with the lovely lady.

when I was a kid, in the '90s (nowadays there are Halloween parties of course).

But when I was first exposed to the classic Universal Monsters (late 90s), I was in love, right away.
You were a kid when you first saw the Universal Classic Monsters and got hooked. That’s basically nostalgia.

I’m not saying the original designs were bad or inferior to the new designs. What I’m saying is that for most (and this applies to multiple generational IPs) we prefer the looks and feel of a IP when we first saw them.

You were a kid when you first saw the Universal Classic Monsters and got hooked. That’s basically nostalgia.

I’m not saying the original designs were bad or inferior to the new designs. What I’m saying is that for most (and this applies to multiple generational IPs) we prefer the looks and feel of a IP when we first saw them.
No, I was talking about how as a kid, I loved the design right away. At first sight. Not because of any nostalgia.
And my previous question was wondering about: Do kids nowadays not feel the same with the classic monster design?

Nothing about nostalgia here, was genuinely curious to know if the classic design is not appealing to the nowadays/younger audiences (70+ years after the classic monster's created) anymore when they first see it, that Universal feels the need to change/update the original design? because it was very appealing to me back then when I first saw it as a kid, even though I was born in the 80s (50 years after they were created).

Last edited:
No, I was talking about how as a kid, I loved the design right away. At first sight. Not because of any nostalgia.
And my previous question was wondering about: Do kids nowadays not feel the same with the classic monster design?

Nothing about nostalgia here, was genuinely curious to know if the classic design is not appealing to the nowadays/younger audiences (70+ years after the classic monster's created) anymore when they first see it, that Universal feels the need to change/update the original design? because it was very appealing to me back then when I first saw it as a kid, even though I was born in the 80s (50 years after they were created).

It's such an alien concept to me to not watch movies because they're old. I definitely watched Frankenstein at a very young, very impressionable age and there's no denying the effect of nostalgia on my opinion on that film specifically, but I sometimes feel like getting hooked on such an old movie at such an early age made it so I could watch and enjoy all "old" movies for the rest of my life.

It's so weird to me to hear that kids can't watch the original Star Wars because its old and slow. I grew up in the 90s, watching those brainrot Nickleodeon cartoons every day, never stopped me from enjoying the old Popeye serials, too. Feels like you really got to introduce the "slow" stuff at a formulative age to really set up your ability to enjoy media at all when you're older.

Modern audiences need explosions every other act and insane stunts. I like them too, in films like Predator. Yet, films can still be made with little to no effects that are quite good. I loved Secret Window, and it was extremely "actor carried". That's what made the old films so good. The actors carried them on their backs. Things started changing though in the 60's perhaps... it was right around the time of "Targets" with Karloff. In the film, there are many poignant scenes. One where the statement in the film was made "anybody can walk through the effects, the film doesn't need me.", uttered by Karloff was how a lot of actors were beginning to feel.

It's such an alien concept to me to not watch movies because they're old. I definitely watched Frankenstein at a very young, very impressionable age and there's no denying the effect of nostalgia on my opinion on that film specifically, but I sometimes feel like getting hooked on such an old movie at such an early age made it so I could watch and enjoy all "old" movies for the rest of my life.

It's so weird to me to hear that kids can't watch the original Star Wars because its old and slow. I grew up in the 90s, watching those brainrot Nickleodeon cartoons every day, never stopped me from enjoying the old Popeye serials, too. Feels like you really got to introduce the "slow" stuff at a formulative age to really set up your ability to enjoy media at all when you're older.
Exactly!
Even separated by many many years, a good design/movie/character will still be appealing. We can love and be hooked even though it was made waaay before our time. That's the point.
Now, at this age, of course, we feel the nostalgic feeling towards them, because of our feelings we first saw them when we were still a kid.

So.. why do they need to change the design, especially when the newest design is not better than the classic one?
Seems like they are moving backward.

Fortunately, now we found out that there will be a "section" for the classic design. I just wish that the whole area uses the classic monsters design.

Now, at this age, of course, we feel the nostalgic feeling towards them, because of our feelings we first saw them when we were still a kid.
Dude. In your reply to me you said it wasn’t nostalgia and then went and described your feeling which is basically nostalgia.

And then you say what I just quoted. Lol.

Just admit it’s nostalgia you feel. You can both still appreciate the design and feel the nostalgia. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

It's so weird to me to hear that kids can't watch the original Star Wars because it’s old and slow. I grew up in the 90s, watching those brainrot Nickleodeon cartoons every day, never stopped me from enjoying the old Popeye serials, too. Feels like you really got to introduce the "slow" stuff at a formulative age to really set up your ability to enjoy media at all when you're older.
Theres also an over abundance of content out there to contend with.

Why watch this old slow movie when I can watch this new exciting one, or watch this content creator, or play a video game, etc etc.

Plus there’s the attitude of why do I have to watch the whole movie when I can just see clips on YouTube and read a wiki on the plot.

I totally understand where they are coming from. It’s kind of how I feel about new media.

Modern audiences need explosions every other act and insane stunts. I like them too, in films like Predator. Yet, films can still be made with little to no effects that are quite good. I loved Secret Window, and it was extremely "actor carried". That's what made the old films so good. The actors carried them on their backs. Things started changing though in the 60's perhaps... it was right around the time of "Targets" with Karloff. In the film, there are many poignant scenes. One where the statement in the film was made "anybody can walk through the effects, the film doesn't need me.", uttered by Karloff was how a lot of actors were beginning to feel.
That, and also the more frightening thing is : kids watch tiktok, they don't even have the attention span to watch a movie...let alone an old movie that takes its time and doesn't use quick cuts every 3 seconds.
It's sad and really concerning for their ability to focus on something (to learn, to be good at a job.) I hope I'm just pessimistic and tiktok isn't really rotting their brain...

As of right now, no rooted hair on the 3 shown. Yes, Universal Park in Orlando has a classic monsters section that is opening up in 2025 as well, the castle looks great!
I think it's a good thing. The Bride hair would be a nightmare to do in rooted hair, and an even bigger nightmare to not mess up over time.

I just thought you may have made other movie posters with the lovely lady.
No. But maybe I will make another one. I already made another portrait of her.
HAMMER PIN UP2.png

Dude. In your reply to me you said it wasn’t nostalgia and then went and described your feeling which is basically nostalgia.

And then you say what I just quoted. Lol.

Just admit it’s nostalgia you feel. You can both still appreciate the design and feel the nostalgia. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.
No, you don’t get it.

What I said was, the first time I see and hooked by the classic monsters, it was not because of nostalgia. It was because of the design. As a kid, I love the design. The look of the classic monster. I instantly love them without the nostalgia factor.

Nostalgia: longing for or thinking fondly of a past time or condition.

When I first see them as a kid, I have no nostalgia of any past with the classic monsters. Because I have never seen them before.

Thats what I want to know with nowadays kids: do they feel the same attraction to the classic monsters as I do back then, when they first see the classic monster design?

Has nothing to do with nostalgia.

Then, I said “of couse now I feel nostalgia with the classic monsters” because at my age now, I have the memory of my childhood when the first time I saw the monsters. But it has nothing to do with my question.

Do you get it? :)

It's probably too "dated" for kids. Or maybe they can appreciate the designs but without taking these monsters seriously. Theses designs have been used in cartoons and parodies way too often. Also in Hallowenn masks form. It's more "fun horror" I think for them.

You probably don't really care but I draw fake movie posters for fun. I made a bunch inspired by Hammer and Universal Monsters. Like these ones :
View attachment 713924View attachment 713925View attachment 713926View attachment 713927

Obviously The Bride goes to Hollywood is a spoof ^^
I made 96 movie posters like these during the past 5 years. It's just for fun. I do nothing with them but I love doing it.
I'm not a professional at all, maybe my drawings could be better, but it's just to show you how much I like thoses movies, and cinema in general.
Not all of the 96 are about Hammer or Universal movies, I tried almost every genre of cinema.

The make up for The reptile is a bit disappointing but...well...old movies are old. I love the movie too, but sometimes these movies lose a bit of their atmosphere during the ending when the reveal of the monster is not really great looking :p
Brilliant work man. :clap

Brilliant work man. :clap
Thank you !:D

I'm a little less motivated right now because of those damn AI that can probably do drawings better than me...
Thankfully it's not my job to do art. I would be depressed😅

The one i'm currently working on is a Charlie's Angels movie poster with modern actresses.
Yeah I know pretty mych all the movies are bad. But it's about imagining a casting and making a cool poster.

Oh yes, please do make some more.
The House That Dripped Blood and Lust for a Vampire would be nice too:bat
I don't remeber Lust for a vampire, but The house that dripped blood is one of my favorite Amicus movie. I don't know why exactly. The stories are just cool. The wax museum with Cushing, the creepy little girl with Lee, the comical vampire sketch with Pitt. Very fun movie.

I don't remeber Lust for a vampire, but The house that dripped blood is one of my favorite Amicus movie. I don't know why exactly. The stories are just cool. The wax museum with Cushing, the creepy little girl with Lee, the comical vampire sketch with Pitt. Very fun movie.
Lust for a Vampire was part two of the Karnstein trilogy, that included The Vampire Lovers and Twins of Evil.
They maybe a little racy for some, but an enjoyable watch.

Back