Kaustic Plastik / Infinite Statue / SD Toys - 1/6 Universal Monsters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the Universal Classic monsters, but if I'm being honest, I prefer the Hammer Horror film versions. Hammer Horror were the films I grew up with watching most Saturdays. Ususally with some local TV horror host. I really miss those old local horror hosts. I know Svengoolie is still around and Elivra is kind of around, but the local ones with the sets that look like a home made haunted house and the cheesy dad joke like scetches were awesome to me.
Im more of universal guy, but hammer movies get my love as well for this exact reason. Its why I love Fright Night so much, we were all Charlie.

Sorry if this talk derailed the original discussion. I apologize. I just love monsters and find the behind the scenes stuff interesting. Back to one of the earlier points as to the monster's colors....these high end companies do seem to be taking a nod from customizers. Perhaps they will emualte Beto's Karloff Monster in paint scheme?

That colour would work too. I like what IRON STUDIOS went with on their 1/10 statue.

1721305046917.png

It's nostalgia. I prefer the older looks myself, but I don't hate the newer looks. Stuff has to be updated to keep younger audiences interested. Several will disagree I'm sure, but there isn't one kid in my family or extended family interested in OT Star Wars, or Star Trek pre 2007. It looks "old", outdated, and it moves to slow for them. But put on the Star Wars sequel trilogy/Disney shows, or Star Trek SNW and Prodigy, and they are enthralled.

The classic Monsters are the same, they just look silly to them. But MEGAN, Abigail, Smile, or whatever mascot Halloween Horror Nights uses each year...those are creepy/scary to them.
For me personally, it's definitely not nostalgia.

The Universal Monsters started in the 30s. As Dr. Phibes said, they had their magic, at least till the 60s. I wasn't even born yet.
And the Universal Monsters exposure in my region (SEA) especially in my country is not big at all. I never recall any of the classic movies aired on our local TV station. We didn't even celebrate Halloween here, there's no such thing as trick or treat, especially when I was a kid, in the '90s (nowadays there are Halloween parties of course).

But when I was first exposed to the classic Universal Monsters (late 90s), I was in love, right away. Even though it's weird at first because they are in black n white.. But of course, I saw Charlie Chaplin first, so I can accept it.
For me, the designs (especially those by the genius Pierce) are iconic. They are simple but effective, less is more.

I personally think 1931 Frankenstein's monster design is timeless. I mean, he basically wears stuff that people nowadays still wear: a black shirt, black blazer, black long pants, and boots. Even though the boots are exaggerated of course, the design is simple and actually modern.
I don't think he looks silly to our modern audiences.

Dracula wears a tux. Also modern, I think, even though there is a cape, but they can just use the modern tux design instead of giving him a Bryan Singer X-Men uniform.

The same goes for the other classic monsters.. mummy is always gonna be a bandaged zombie, the Wolf-man is well, the Wolf-man (they didn't even make any significant change on him aside from making him more beastly), and I think Milicent Patrick's design for the Creature is brilliant. They don't need to change anything.

Long story short, it was not nostalgia that hooked me to the classic Universal Monsters, it was their look. Their poetic design, and wonderful actors and artists behind the creation.
I don't like the newer look because I think they did not make an improvement over the classic design. They ditched the "class and character" and made it mediocre, IMHO. (No offense to the designers, of course, this is just my personal opinion 🙏)

I heard recently that these movies are not really well known in America. Is it true ?
In Europe everybody knows Lee as Dracula (okay not everybody. But every old people^^)

These movies are great.
The Devil Rides Out is good too.
The Hound of the Baskervilles is great
The Plague of the Zombies is a cool zombie movie.

Hammer started to stray in the 70s BUT...there is some good movies still. Dr. Jeckyll and Sister Hyde, despite a comical title, is a really interesting take on the myth with a gender swap.
Those films are excellent, all. Especially Hound of the Baskervilles. Cushing was my go to Sherlock Holmes until Jeremy Brett came along. I agree there are some gems and guilty pleasures in the 70's before they went really far off track. I love Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. Cushing naturally carries the film, but the soundtrack is great, and the 70's Kung Fu action is sweet too. Scars of Dracula is good too except for some unnecessary humor at the beginning of the film.
Plague of the Zombies and Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde are two of my favourites. The Reptile, Frankenstein created Woman and The Brides of Dracula are also an enjoyable watch.

Scars of Dracula is probably my favourite Hammer/Lee outing, with the great Pat Troughton stealing the show as Klove.

While i enjoy Lee's performance as Dracula, i still prefer Lugosi. Mainly because of his accent which sounds better for a Transylvanian vampire. Lee was too English.
Interestingly Lee doesn't speak a word in Dracula-Prince of Darkness due to his refusal to read the awful lines that were written in the script.

Long story short, it was not nostalgia that hooked me to the classic Universal Monsters, it was their look. Their poetic design, and wonderful actors and artists behind the creation.
I don't like the newer look because I think they did not make an improvement over the classic design. They ditched the "class and character" and made it mediocre, IMHO. (No offense to the designers, of course, this is just my personal opinion 🙏)
Perfectly put and it was the same for me. Those original monster looks are iconic, magical, and will never be bettered.
As the saying goes... "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it"

Plague of the Zombies and Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde are two of my favourites. The Reptile, Frankenstein created Woman and The Brides of Dracula are also an enjoyable watch.

Scars of Dracula is probably my favourite Hammer/Lee outing, with the great Pat Troughton stealing the show as Klove.

While i enjoy Lee's performance as Dracula, i still prefer Lugosi. Mainly because of his accent which sounds better for a Transylvanian vampire. Lee was too English.
Interestingly Lee doesn't speak a word in Dracula-Prince of Darkness due to his refusal to read the awful lines that were written in the script.
I like Lee's take on Brides of Dracula. He said the film almost plays like a religious picture, given Van Helsing's on screen and open faith. He said the vampires in the film were doomed from the moment Cushing came into frame,lol. The Reptile is a great hammer film. They had a whole lot of good ones.

You probably don't really care but I draw fake movie posters for fun. I made a bunch inspired by Hammer and Universal Monsters. Like these ones :
34.CARMILLA MOTHER OF DARKNESS.jpg
35.THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN GOES TO HOLLYWOOD.jpg
37.THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE MUMMY.jpg
47.SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE FRANKENSTEIN MURDERS.jpg

Obviously The Bride goes to Hollywood is a spoof ^^
I made 96 movie posters like these during the past 5 years. It's just for fun. I do nothing with them but I love doing it.
I'm not a professional at all, maybe my drawings could be better, but it's just to show you how much I like thoses movies, and cinema in general.
Not all of the 96 are about Hammer or Universal movies, I tried almost every genre of cinema.
I like Lee's take on Brides of Dracula. He said the film almost plays like a religious picture, given Van Helsing's on screen and open faith. He said the vampires in the film were doomed from the moment Cushing came into frame,lol. The Reptile is a great hammer film. They had a whole lot of good ones.
The make up for The reptile is a bit disappointing but...well...old movies are old. I love the movie too, but sometimes these movies lose a bit of their atmosphere during the ending when the reveal of the monster is not really great looking :p

Hey Guys, I just saw this post, sorry, I haven't been on the boards much, been very busy. Im so glad you guys like the new Monsters! I did sculpt the Frankenstein, Bride, and Mummy for the KP line. Sd Toys is a European distributor partner that secured the license with KP. Your wallets don't have to quake, as there will be several price levels for Standard, Delux, and Exclusive, so no one has to miss this awesome collection. They will come with multiple hands and very cool features/accessories. The Bride has sculpted hair, not rooted. the poster are my renders that I colored based off the original Pantone colors we could find from the films, but pending licensor approvals.....so not final color. Fabio the art Director did a great job putting the collage together for the promo. I did sculpt the London after Midnight Lon Chaney, he does have rooted hair and will be shown at SDCC. I am working on more pieces for them. These are 1/6th figures and there will also be statues coming too in the future. I'll keep you guys posted as Im allowed to drop info..... By the way, you guys are going to love the Mummy Accessory!

Attachments

• teaser-monster-UFFICIALE.jpg
    teaser-monster-UFFICIALE.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I like the Bride meets the Mummy.
Except that it's got an MB scribbled on the left. Vandals! 😉

I like the Bride meets the Mummy.
Except that it's got an MB scribbled on the left. Vandals! 😉
Well it's the Internet...I post my drawings in a lower resolution and with a big signature. I don't pretend to be an artist or whatever but you never know^^

Hey Guys, I just saw this post, sorry, I haven't been on the boards much, been very busy. Im so glad you guys like the new Monsters! I did sculpt the Frankenstein, Bride, and Mummy for the KP line. Sd Toys is a European distributor partner that secured the license with KP. Your wallets don't have to quake, as there will be several price levels for Standard, Delux, and Exclusive, so no one has to miss this awesome collection. They will come with multiple hands and very cool features/accessories. The Bride has sculpted hair, not rooted. the poster are my renders that I colored based off the original Pantone colors we could find from the films, but pending licensor approvals.....so not final color. Fabio the art Director did a great job putting the collage together for the promo. I did sculpt the London after Midnight Lon Chaney, he does have rooted hair and will be shown at SDCC. I am working on more pieces for them. These are 1/6th figures and there will also be statues coming too in the future. I'll keep you guys posted as Im allowed to drop info..... By the way, you guys are going to love the Mummy Accessory!
Sarcophagus?

And do you know if the hair on the Frankenstein monster will be rooted or sculpted?

Last edited:
You probably don't really care but I draw fake movie posters for fun. I made a bunch inspired by Hammer and Universal Monsters. Like these ones :
View attachment 713924View attachment 713925View attachment 713926View attachment 713927

Obviously The Bride goes to Hollywood is a spoof ^^
I made 96 movie posters like these during the past 5 years. It's just for fun. I do nothing with them but I love doing it.
I'm not a professional at all, maybe my drawings could be better, but it's just to show you how much I like thoses movies, and cinema in general.
Not all of the 96 are about Hammer or Universal movies, I tried almost every genre of cinema.

The make up for The reptile is a bit disappointing but...well...old movies are old. I love the movie too, but sometimes these movies lose a bit of their atmosphere during the ending when the reveal of the monster is not really great looking :p
Love that top one with the gorgeous Ingrid Pitt. Have you any Countess Dracula?

Love that top one with the gorgeous Ingrid Pitt. Have you any Countess Dracula?
Thanks.
I don't understand the question though. Do I have a drawing with Countess Dracula ? No. This one is a reference to her role in Vampire Lovers, the Carmilla adaptation by Hammer studios, another good movie. I didn't make another drawing with Ingrid Pitt.

Back