Lim Toys - 1/6 The Gunslinger (Outlaws of The West)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I've said elsewhere, the original Red Dead Redemption all the way. That is John Marston to me, the character and story that I fell in love with as a gamer, and which left such a long lasting impression. To me he deserves to be immortalised for his own story, not as a side character in someone else's. Plus the original face has more character and screams John Marston, the sequel lost something when it came to upgrading his reference model.

That said, if it's RDR2 that gets made, I'm still down with it, I'd just greatly prefer the original.

As I've said elsewhere, the original Red Dead Redemption all the way. That is John Marston to me, the character and story that I fell in love with as a gamer, and which left such a long lasting impression. To me he deserves to be immortalised for his own story, not as a side character in someone else's. Plus the original face has more character and screams John Marston, the sequel lost something when it came to upgrading his reference model.

That said, if it's RDR2 that gets made, I'm still down with it, I'd just greatly prefer the original.

RDR2 version at least looks like it could be a real person to me. RDR1 John looks kinda of like a monkey man, I wouldn't buy a figure of him from RDR1 personally.

I'm not sure there's a difference between the two looks. Both wear dark denim vests with tan, button-up, collared shirts and dark pinstripe pants. For lore purposes, they're the same outfits. Only the graphical fidelity makes them look slightly different.
They look similar at first glance but they're actually quite different from each other, the color, shape and length of the hair is different in both games, (not to mention the reutilization of Arthur's hair in the epilogue section), the shape of the heads and jaws are different, the position and shape of the scars changed, so did the moles on his face, John has brown eyes in the first game however in the second game they're blue, the vest, shirt and pants have different tailoring, the gunbelt is completely different in both games, there's also a rifle holster which isn't part of the outfit in 2, overall, there's a lot that's different enough for us to take into account.

Discounting the clothing issue, you've already given Arthur multiple heads, why not just make two heads for John? Pack the RDR2 version in the box, and offer the RDR1 version for order like you did the mid-beard Arthur sculpt. You can still make both heads realistic, you don't need to make the RDR1 head look ******, just so it matches the model.
There was demand for that particular head, in this case I don't think there will be, John has been an established protagonist for over a decade, his fans know he is the guy with long hair, scruff and scars, while in Arthur's case the player could change his whole look from the beginning of the game, besides there's the issue of hat/hair fitting, the RDR2 character model has higher ears than the model in 2, basically one head would look extremely silly with the hat on, that is why I've taken interest in this topic and want to hear everyone's opinions, we can make one, and make it great, we just want to make sure we can satisfy the majority.

Thanks for the response, one of our main concerns is sadly the first game is severely underrated and the majority of those who played the second have not played the first, we already got some rejection from chinese collector groups saying they want his RDR2 look, but I would like to hear all sides.
Arthur has several clothing options and sculpts, so what if Marston has the same? Make both versions in a "deluxe" set. Update the RDR1 sculpt and clothing as best you can while also including a RDR2 sculpt and outfit.

Of course, I don't have knowledge of all the hard work it would be for you guys to do that, but all collectors would be happy that way.

At the end of the day, I think something you should consider if that Red Dead 1 fans would almost definitely buy a Red Dead 2 version of John, whereas Red Dead 2 fans may not be as interested in Red Dead 1 John.

I could be wrong, but I think Red Dead 2 would be appealing to a bigger audience and probably better sales for your company. I think you also worked on some other characters it would only boost interest in a Red Dead 2 version of John, so collectors could have a van der Linde gang display.

I would suggest making John entirely after RDR2 and just offer a separate RDR1 head for purchase. I know it was suggested the other way around a few posts ago and I know you said why this isn't the best solution, but either way, it seems to be a way to please everyone.

Arthur has several clothing options and sculpts, so what if Marston has the same? Make both versions in a "deluxe" set. Update the RDR1 sculpt and clothing as best you can while also including a RDR2 sculpt and outfit.

Of course, I don't have knowledge of all the hard work it would be for you guys to do that, but all collectors would be happy that way.
The outfit would be the iconic one with the vest, just tailored differently depending on the version we go with it, however a version of 2 would not have the original gunbelt and rifle holster and a version of 1 would not have the gunbelt and waist bandolier from 2. To make it clear we don't really want to make a hybrid since that would only result in more complaints. I think we'd probably give the black winter jacket to a version of 2, not sure about 1.

At the end of the day, I think something you should consider if that Red Dead 1 fans would almost definitely buy a Red Dead 2 version of John, whereas Red Dead 2 fans may not be as interested in Red Dead 1 John.

I could be wrong, but I think Red Dead 2 would be appealing to a bigger audience and probably better sales for your company. I think you also worked on some other characters it would only boost interest in a Red Dead 2 version of John, so collectors could have a van der Linde gang display.

I would suggest making John entirely after RDR2 and just offer a separate RDR1 head for purchase. I know it was suggested the other way around a few posts ago and I know you said why this isn't the best solution, but either way, it seems to be a way to please everyone.
We're aware, but it really seems 50/50 to us, some want a figure of the first game, others of the second, and you know how weird we collectors can be with our figures haha, the head idea sadly wouldn't work because we'd have to make two sets of hairs/hats for both to fit the structure of each, just too much cost added, and if we were to make two heads I think the newcomers to the franchise would likely prefer a bearded sculpt.

Surprisingly enough RDR 1 JM has the lead despite the majority here saying they would prefer a figure of the second game.

Wasn't the poll on facebook basically the same, around four to one in favour of RDR1 John over RDR2?

Outfit wise I can go either way, but I vastly prefer his character model from 2. He actually looks like a person on it. RDR model is just outdated at this point.

RDR1 Figure with a deluxe version including his head from RDR2 would be nice. I prefer and associate him better with his RDR1 outfit but his face is better in RDR2.

Don't care for his outfit in RDR2 as much but I wouldn't mind a separate bundle that included his RDR2 head + clothing.

Honestly, I'd take the fidelity of RDR2 and adapt the RDR1 look to it and meet in the middle. I think you'd get something that would essentially look much like what Rockstar would create if they remastered RDR1. At the very least, if you need the RDR2 sales audience overseas, then throw in the ammo bandoliers which look like the RDR1 outfit.

I would get Sadie depending how she looked. 3rd party female figures often look doll-like.

I would be down for a RDR2 Dutch after John though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was demand for that particular head, in this case I don't think there will be, John has been an established protagonist for over a decade, his fans know he is the guy with long hair, scruff and scars, while in Arthur's case the player could change his whole look from the beginning of the game, besides there's the issue of hat/hair fitting, the RDR2 character model has higher ears than the model in 2, basically one head would look extremely silly with the hat on, that is why I've taken interest in this topic and want to hear everyone's opinions, we can make one, and make it great, we just want to make sure we can satisfy the majority.

That shouldn't be an issue.

Arthur comes with two heads and three hair pieces. Make John with two heads and two hair pieces.

Back