1/6 Luke Skywalker and Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise Set SDCC Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow Han Solo and Luke Stormtrooper set 2009

I wouldn't pay that much for them... but I was fine with retail. As for why they cost that much it's pretty simple, the stormtroopers (any of the all white ones) are hard to get. I bought two of the originals and this set and I'd say you can trust Sideshow when they say the edition size is 2,000. It's a desirable set and that usually means a big increase in price once they sell out and the sold out 4 or 5 years ago :lol

However I did shorten Luke by a 1/2" or so by removing a chunk of his thighs... that was a necessary fix IMO.

I wouldn't pay that much for them... but I was fine with retail. As for why they cost that much it's pretty simple, the stormtroopers (any of the all white ones) are hard to get. I bought two of the originals and this set and I'd say you can trust Sideshow when they say the edition size is 2,000. It's a desirable set and that usually means a big increase in price once they sell out and the sold out 4 or 5 years ago :lol
How does this set compare to the standard Sideshow Imperial Stormtrooper? I can buy the standard one for £95.

For my money, both these and the Stormtroopers are too old to be picking-up now. Just wait for a Stormtrooper re-release and maybe enjoy the Han and Luke in other peoples' collections. Not worth the premium, IMO.

There's no difference except for the heads.

That's not entirely true... the heads of course are different. The base bodies are newer so they don't have the super weak joints the earliest armored body figures had. The chest armor also has an additional strap so it holds it's shape better and the paint is not as dull as the original trooper armor. Also, you get the internal details on the helmets which are nice, but do mean the helmets can't be worn, unless you want to do bit of customization. Also Luke's belt is unique in that it has the grappling hook and he comes with a droid caller.

So some differences, but if you just want a stormtrooper, then buy one of those as the per-cost is less and you don't really have to do any mods to get a stormtrooper. You might also consider a Marmit Kit... its not as articulated (but that can be fixed) but they are usually less and some prefer them in terms of look to the Sideshow offering.

That's not entirely true... the heads of course are different. The base bodies are newer so they don't have the super weak joints the earliest armored body figures had. The chest armor also has an additional strap so it holds it's shape better and the paint is not as dull as the original trooper armor. Also, you get the internal details on the helmets which are nice, but do mean the helmets can't be worn, unless you want to do bit of customization. Also Luke's belt is unique in that it has the grappling hook and he comes with a droid caller.

So some differences, but if you just want a stormtrooper, then buy one of those as the per-cost is less and you don't really have to do any mods to get a stormtrooper. You might also consider a Marmit Kit... its not as articulated (but that can be fixed) but they are usually less and some prefer them in terms of look to the Sideshow offering.

:lecture

I think it's a great set. I love mine and I agree that the headsculpts are great but the paint apps are so so (and terrible if your set had wonky eyes). The little differences that galactiboy pointed out are great.

But I don't know if I would pay a premium for the set if I didn't already have it. I think you'd be better off bashing the set, also like galactiboy said.

And I think it's unlikely that anyone would re-make this set in the near future.

Agreed, At least for Sideshow we won't see Han and Luke as Stormtroopers again... maybe Medicom could do it, but they seem to have mostly moved on from SW, not to mention their SW figures are over-priced and generally crap.

I actually did bash a pretty cool stormtrooper Luke with a Marmit kit after the Farmboy figure came out. It didn't have the cool grappling hook, but I don't think I was even aware that was a feature at the time :lol I do think the proportions on the Marmit look better, always felt like the Sideshow Stormies had a bit of a cankle situation going on... but the details on the armor are much crisper; so kind of a mixed bag between the two.

Marmit Bash
lukestormb.jpg

Sideshow Set with shortened Luke
eex.jpg

Agreed, At least for Sideshow we won't see Han and Luke as Stormtroopers again... maybe Medicom could do it, but they seem to have mostly moved on from SW, not to mention their SW figures are over-priced and generally crap.

I actually did bash a pretty cool stormtrooper Luke with a Marmit kit after the Farmboy figure came out. It didn't have the cool grappling hook, but I don't think I was even aware that was a feature at the time :lol I do think the proportions on the Marmit look better, always felt like the Sideshow Stormies had a bit of a cankle situation going on... but the details on the armor are much crisper; so kind of a mixed bag between the two.

Marmit Bash
lukestormb.jpg

Sideshow Set with shortened Luke
eex.jpg

Nice bash! How much do the marmit kits run for?

I wish I had this Han and Luke set...but for the price now, it just isn't in the cards.

Beside thigh shortening operation on Sideshow's body, what kind of body swap would you consider doing for a correctly scaled luke?

I had thrown together a Han Marmit trooper before Sideshow released theirs, it didn't look too bad!
DSCN0158.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0159.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stormie Luke was probably Sideshow's best Luke sculpt, until they unveiled the Hoth version. I'll be using the Hoth one to replace Bespin Luke's head, and hoping for a X-wing Luke to replace Tatooine and Yavin Luke's heads.

So some differences..
Yeah, fair enough. :duff

For my money, both these and the Stormtroopers are too old to be picking-up now. Just wait for a Stormtrooper re-release and maybe enjoy the Han and Luke in other peoples' collections. Not worth the premium, IMO.
What if he reduces the price to £200 ($300US)

I love this set because you can have the Stormie version of both character OR upgrade farmer Luke and smuggler Han with better sculpts AND have two Stormtroopers flanking Vader (the helmet mod is the easiest ever...I did mine with black cardboard), and I think that the Stormie price on ebay at the moment is more than the 100£ each you're gonna pay with this set.

Stormy luke sculpt is much better than the farmboy one...that said tho still quite a few of these floating around i wouldn't pay premium price

I love this set because you can have the Stormie version of both character OR upgrade farmer Luke and smuggler Han with better sculpts AND have two Stormtroopers flanking Vader (the helmet mod is the easiest ever...I did mine with black cardboard), and I think that the Stormie price on ebay at the moment is more than the 100£ each you're gonna pay with this set.

so how did you do that any pics of this mod

so how did you do that any pics of this mod

Sorry no pics (maybe tonight when I get home) but basically you just need a stripe of thick cardboard (like normal shipping brownboxes) and a piece of black duct tape. Drill a hole through the taped cardboard and insert the neck balljoint (the elastic properties of duct tape will keep it tight), then fold the cardboard inside the helmet.
Anyway I remember seeing something similar using bottle caps here on the boards.

Back