Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

I never thought Elfman's Batman theme/soundtrack was all that great (heresy, I know), so I don't think Zimmer had to worry too much about creating something new for Nolan's films.

As far as Superman, I would like it if they used William's theme and carry it on like the Bond theme. But I can also see them treating the soundtrack a little more restrained, without any obvious grand themes like Williams does. Zimmer's Batman scores are great in that they are understated. They still have specific themes and movements, but nothing so obvious and "hook-y" like Williams's stuff. I can see it being more reflective and pensive instead of grandiose and bombastic.

The best thing the Elfman soundtrack did was inspire the B:TAS soundtrack, IMO. Those movies really didn't work for me on a number of levels. I guess the music fit the product, though.

Nolan leaving this just further proves my point that its Synder's call and that he isn't a saving grace for anything. It looks like he and Goyer created a screenplay, probably went over Synder what they wanted and thought it should look like but now are simply leaving it up to him to do what he wants. WB will want him to continue TDKR with a 100% focus so I don't look for them to interfere in that or this and ultimate we'll get whatever Synder wants....which might include more CGI than we'd want if the rumors are true.

But I can also see them treating the soundtrack a little more restrained, without any obvious grand themes like Williams does. Zimmer's Batman scores are great in that they are understated. They still have specific themes and movements, but nothing so obvious and "hook-y" like Williams's stuff. I can see it being more reflective and pensive instead of grandiose and bombastic.

That's the best feature of Zimmer's Batman work - the restraint, it goes hand in hand with the theme that his fight is a never ending one.

The restraint is very deliberate having seen quite a few interviews with Nolan and Zimmer about it. I think by the end of TDKR, we may hear the 'fullest' version of the theme so far, assuming Batman is in some way redeemed and back on top by that time.

I for one am very excited that Zimmer is not only scoring, but will be doing a whole new theme. The original Superman will forever be in my memory, but i would really love to see something entirely different, which is what Snyder is trying to do. Zimmer has had some misses, and he sometimes recycles his music (Pirates has virtually the same theme as Gladiator), but he is a fantastic composer. Whatever he does, this one needs a heroic theme, unlike Batman Begins.

I would rather Nolan concentrate on Batman anyway.

Snyder is directing this so we might as well see what he comes up with. His Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen were all good films. I want a Superman movie that kicks some ass, and I think Snyder will deliver.

I want a Superman movie that kicks some ass, and I think Snyder will deliver. Snyder is directing this so we might as well see what he comes up with. His Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen were all good films.

Snyder is directing this so we might as well see what he comes up with. His Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen were all good films. I want a Superman movie that kicks some ass, and I think Snyder will deliver.

I want a Superman movie that kicks some ass, and I think Snyder will deliver. Snyder is directing this so we might as well see what he comes up with. His Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen were all good films.

???

*shrugs*

???

*shrugs*

My only problem is that WB is looking at other DC films as inspiration for this film. Batman's director is at the helm, The Watchmen's director, again Batman's composer is scoring, and there's talk of a cgi suit like GL's. Superman should blaze his own trail not piggy back on what has (and may) worked for other Dc films. IMO that is what was the biggest problem with the failed Tim Burton Superman movie (that and a giant spider) He was trying to make a Batman style Superman movie.

My only problem is that WB is looking at other DC films as inspiration for this film. Batman's director is at the helm, The Watchmen's director, again Batman's composer is scoring, and there's talk of a cgi suit like GL's. Superman should blaze his own trail not piggy back on what has (and may) worked for other Dc films. IMO that is what was the biggest problem with the failed Tim Burton Superman movie (that and a giant spider) He was trying to make a Batman style Superman movie.

Fair point - I do believe that whatever Nolan's idea is it is an original one and one that is highly suited to the character. But Snyder and cgi suit has be seriously concerned

All i ask is for no CGI suit. I'm ok with a new Superman score.

One of the reasons they went with Nolan as the spearhead was because he pitched a story that was original, one that harkened back to the Golden Age of the character. Remember when everyone was freaking out he wouldn't fly since originally he didn't? He and Goyer wrote that script that was greenlit, now Synder could pull a Nolan and rewrite the approved script but something tells me that WB won't let him do that. I believe that Nolan is leaving because they got a compromise on what the script would entail from both creative teams and so he isn't really needed now.

What we see on screen will be definitely Synder's vision with whatever he brought to the table to impress both Nolan and WB but the story will be Nolan's.

I wouldn't worry too much that they are pulling from other licenses and more than Synder really goes Burton with it and tries to make it stand out from everything done in the past.

Nolan Departs "Superman" Reboot
By Garth Franklin
With his concentration on "The Dark Knight Rises" growing with each day, filmmaker Chris Nolan has bowed out of any further creative input on the upcoming "Superman" reboot reports Hitfix.

Nolan's wife and producing partner Emma Thomas brought up how Nolan is so single minded when making a picture it's hard to get him to work on anything else. So now with Zac Snyder on board as director on the "Superman" reboot, Thomas says "we are handing it off to him".

Thomas indicated that Nolan and David Goyer just had an idea they couldn't believe wasn't being explored by Warner Bros. so "they brought it to an appropriate screenplay and it's now Snyder's picture".

Meanwhile composer Hans Zimmer tells NBC that he will be scoring the Superman reboot. Zimmer's works include "Inception," "Sherlock Holmes," "Gladiator" and both of Nolan's "Batman" movies.

Gonna get flamed for this, but glad he's off the project.
i like Nolan, but his style is WRONG for superman.
As long as we get a good superman story, with a guy who understands action movies (and I think Snyder does) , with an actual SUPER VILLAIN , not an evil real estate mogle, and not some snidely whiplash wannabe who is just tying lois to railroad tracks ( or some other "put lois in harms way" plot) while twirling his mustache, i'm good.

so... thoughts on the villain?

All I can say, is for the love of god, Not Lex, and not Zod.

and what's a this about a CGI supersuit? source please?

Side note, didn't Hans Zimmer Score the Pirates movies as well?

Gonna get flamed for this, but glad he's off the project.
i like Nolan, but his style is WRONG for superman.
As long as we get a good superman story, with a guy who understands action movies (and I think Snyder does) , with an actual SUPER VILLAIN , not an evil real estate mogle, and not some snidely whiplash wannabe who is just tying lois to railroad tracks ( or some other "put lois in harms way" plot) while twirling his mustache, i'm good.

so... thoughts on the villain?

All I can say, is for the love of god, Not Lex, and not Zod.

and what's a this about a CGI supersuit? source please?

Side note, didn't Hans Zimmer Score the Pirates movies as well?

darkseid dammit!!!!!!!! :gah:

I like Snyder. He should bring an interesting and new look to Supes. Nolan has kicked ass with Batman and I want him thinking about just that flick. If he could have done both one right after the other that would have been perfect but since thats not the case I'm cool with things as is.

Outside the box here, thinking in left field, what about Conduit as the Villain?

194874-6932-conduit_large.jpg

a little obscure I know but as the lead in Villain for a new franchise it's a start. He's not a God, he's just a man who is jealous of Clark, it tackles everything Superman is about in both his Superhero, and normal lives.

As the movie ends with Supes wondering how much he can truly savor his victory, off in the distance we hear clanging, as is some giant monster is escaping from his underground prison.

that last part may be a little much. forgive me I've had like 2 hours sleep, Lerath do I need a burrito on this one?

Back