Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of stories could you tell with a flawless character?

Would'nt it be exactly what we have with the good guy defeating the bad guy and saving people just without character development, personal relationships ect?

The thing is, you don't need to always have character development for good characters. I mean, that's kinda how John Carpenter's characters work.

You get pretty much next to nothing, but their personalities define them, and they're cool enough you root for them. Reeves Superman is the same way. Sort of. He does go through a bit of an arc, but we like the guy right from the start.

Good point, was he always 100% pro living harmoniously with regular humans in the comics?

How man girls did he mind trick to **** before he was paralized?? X Men first class even touched on this aspect of the character with the bar scene

Also what he did to Jane/phoenix was not cool at all and even Logan the man with no morals calls him out on it

Good point, was he always 100% pro living harmoniously with regular humans in the comics?

But he has been shown to be a womanizer, he as sent children into situations where he knew they would most certainly be killed. So he's not perfect either. And he's done some rather shady things with his powers, and other people's memories.

In the movies however he's as good guy as it gets. The only questionable thing was suppressing Jeans volatile Phoenix personality.

The thing is, you don't need to always have character development for good characters. I mean, that's kinda how John Carpenter's characters work.

You get pretty much next to nothing, but their personalities define them, and they're cool enough you root for them. Reeves Superman is the same way. Sort of. He does go through a bit of an arc, but we like the guy right from the start.

That's a good point :clap

225_russel_thing_311jpg.jpg

images

Mmhmm. And that could be easily done by not going into their brain. Just skim the surface of who they are, what they stand for.

I mean, kids have all these horribly flawed people to look up too, and I have no idea what kind of affect that will have on them.

My heroes as a kid were Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Bruce Willis. Any movie they were in, they were the perfect heroes. And they were icons to me.

It's really different now. Especially with the media jumping in. Imagine being a kid and finding out Arnold cheated on his wife, and had another kid behind her back? That's some ****....

I remember in SM2, Aunt Mays speech to Peter about how Spider-Man was an ideal, an icon of hope for people like the kid neighbor and others.

Though he himself doesn't see himself as an ideal, he is flawed and unsure of himself, but to others he is an ideal.

The ideal is an outside persoective of how others and the audience view the hero, not the heroes own life and story.

But with the story being told from the heroes perspective, it takes clever writing (which can backfire and become cringeworthy) to work in his status as an ideal from the perspective of the world around him.

Sometimes it's simple though, like having a crowd applauding or celebrating the hero as he passes by

Exactly. Character arcs, character development, etc. is all well and good, and we do need a good balance of that in our entertainment diet. But not everything has to be so layered. Sometimes, people just want to read about a guy who throws on a cape and saves the world. That simple. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Devin is right. These simple (yet important) character archetypes are all but gone from pop culture now. And that sucks.

I remember in SM2, Aunt Mays speech to Peter about how Spider-Man was an ideal, an icon of hope for people like the kid neighbor and others.

Though he himself doesn't see himself as an ideal, he is flawed and unsure of himself, but to others he is an ideal.

The ideal is an outside persoective of how others and the audience view the hero, not the heroes own life and story.

Bingo. You got it. :exactly:

No matter my flaws, my son sees me as his hero, as all boys do their fathers (hopefully).

Exactly. Character arcs, character development, etc. is all well and good, and we do need a good balance of that in our entertainment diet. But not everything has to be so layered. Sometimes, people just want to read about a guy who throws on a cape and saves the world. That simple. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Devin is right. These simple (yet important) character archetypes are all but gone from pop culture now. And that sucks.

Even the simple villains.

Zod S1/S2, T-1000 etc.

All the demon in the Exorcist wanted was some simple crucifix in the v a g i n a time with Regan, no more, no fuss. :lol

i don't think they are gone. Clive Owen's King Arthur was this type of character. Noble and good from the first frame. No one watched the movie. Maximus was this type of character too. As for more recent films I would say MoS Clark is a good person, who even as a young child is shown wanting to help those in need when he can. Steve Rogers is pretty earnest as well. Dr. King Schultz in Django unchained fits the bill of a good guy you just root for!

Jor El was for me the guy you just root for with no reason for doing so.

I wouldn't say it's gone, more like evolved to showcase that and more.

Despite what everyone else thinks, It looks like Margot Kidder wants MORE Lois Lane in MoS. :lol

While Man Of Steel has been flying high at the box office, the movie has proven to be controversial with critics, fans, celebrities, and comic industry professionals. It seems like every day there is someone new weighing in with their opinion on Man Of Steel.
Now, Margot Kidder, who played Lois Lane in the original 1978 Superman: The Movie, has expressed her two cents on the Man Of Steel. It turns out Margot Kidder was a big fan of Man Of Steel. According to WAtoday, Margot Kidder said, “I thought it was wonderful and I thought that young Amy Adams was just terrific.”

However, Margot Kidder did have just one complaint about the movie, but it wasn’t the Superman and Zod scene that others have been debating. Margot Kidder’s complaint was that there wasn’t more of Amy Adam’s Lois Lane in the movie. Kidder said, “”I wanted a lot more of her, I wish they had more scenes for her.” Given how Man Of Steel ended, we’re betting that Margot Kidder will get her wish in the Man Of Steel sequel.

https://comicbook.com/blog/2013/06/...ovie-lois-lanes-complaint-about-man-of-steel/

Back