Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tumblr_l7puuhGNOe1qcqlp3.jpg

jack.jpg

NELSON-VAN-ALDEN-michaelshannon-Boardwalk-Empire.gif

There's no such thing as a flawless Hero, even Superman is flawed in the comics, he has doubted his ideals and his methods many many times, if even Supes has to struggle with it, what is there to say about any other hero?

I just saw this tonight. First impression is that I was a bit underwhelmed. Movie was a'aight. Action was pretty good, though the CG-centricness of it led to some fake, video-game looking scenes. My main issue though was with the dramatic angle. Apart from Jor-El, the characters didn't feel very real to me, and the emotional reactions seemed kind of hollow. This is a running theme in the Snyder films I've seen, where all of them seem good on the surface for various reasons, but seem to lack some kind of earnest emotional core. I think Iron Man 3 had this at some level, as did Star Trek 2, but didn't feel it here so much. There were also a crapload of unlikely coincidences that happened so that everything fell nicely into place. You get that all the time with movies like this of course, but this one just seemed to have one thing after the other. And as a result the "good guy" characters never felt to me like they were in any real danger. Then there were some issues with logic, like Ursa claiming evolution was so important, yet their race had failed because it became stagnant with the fake birthing chambers. I don't think Goyer/Snyder were trying to be ironic there, just trying to make a "cool" line that ultimately didn't make sense. Lois apparently outed Supes's identity in her news story, yet no one seemed to really remember that later on. Then Supes spends so much energy trying to hide his powers, then does stupid **** like throwing an 18-wheeler through utility poles after a guy picks on him, so that it's blatantly obvious who did what (and no one heard him doing that, by the way?).

Also, I totally didn't buy whatsherface as Lois.

So anyway, flash and style over substance sums it up a bit I guess. Folks demanded Superman punching guys through buildings, and damn if we didn't get that in spades here. But it felt lacking in other areas. Probably the worst of the 3 comic films I saw this summer so far.

The ideal to strive for. No kid can become Superman. But what he teaches them, is valuable. Violence isn't the answer, save people, put yourself in front of others...ect...

That's what I mean, Superman in MoS is still that, except for violence, all superheros imply violence :lol

What I mean is, there has never been a flawless superhero, because a human being couldn't aspire to be like someone who is flawless, because we are not flawless.

If a certain role model had to work to become like that, then we have an something we can strive towards, because it shows that with effort, we could achieve that status too.

So anyway, flash and style over substance sums it up a bit I guess.
Folks demanded Superman punching guys through buildings, and damn if we didn't get that in spades here. But it felt lacking in other areas. Probably the worst of the 3 comic films I saw this summer so far.

Yup and young modern males(20's) these days just love it up! (most of em anyways) Too bad we couldn't get both though, maybe next time.

Then Supes spends so much energy trying to hide his powers, then does stupid **** like throwing an 18-wheeler through utility poles after a guy picks on him, so that it's blatantly obvious who did what (and no one heard him doing that, by the way?).

You really think that the "blatantly obvious" explanation for a tanker truck impaled by poles is to assume that one man did it with his bare hands?

:)

Yup and young modern males(20's) these days just love it up! (most of em anyways) Too bad we couldn't get both though, maybe next time.

That's an unfounded and unrealistic assumption, dr.Mirakle doesn't like it, I do, we're both in our 20's, it's the same for most people in this thread, implying that age has somehow, correlation with a refined taste is just lame.

Back