Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It started off with my comment that I did not understand why Clark did not consult Jorel before he met with Zod. I then went on to say that the movie did not work for and could someone talk me down. Others chimed in arguing about it. I came back asking if someone could just tell me what they liked about it. Others got mad accused me of trolling, I was called names then the moderator told me to stop posting and move on. My point if you think a movie is so good you should be able to explain why and what you liked best about it.

This is what I like about this place, people can speak their minds.

I'm sure you'd have got a better response here, but I'm sure it'd revive the old feuds :lol some people don't like that some of us like MoS.

It started off with my comment that I did not understand why Clark did not consult Jorel before he met with Zod. I then went on to say that the movie did not work for and could someone talk me down. Others chimed in arguing about it. I came back asking if someone could just tell me what they liked about it. Others got mad accused me of trolling, I was called names then the moderator told me to stop posting and move on. My point if you think a movie is so good you should be able to explain why and what you liked best about it.

It's good because they like shallow blockbuster CGI-fests and hyperbole. They'd be satisfied "swimming" by merely sitting in a kiddie pool and splashing the water everywhere. :lol

As a lover of film, I've seen this movie four times. The first time, in 3D, I hated it and felt depressed on several levels. The second time, I took my younger cousins to see it in 2D and accepted it for what it is. The third time, I went with a friend and was bored out of my mind.

Why buy the BD?

Because I'm a collecting fool and wanted the fancy tin for my Superman collection. I'm also a huge fan of Kevin Smith, so maybe his constant pole-riding of the film convinced me to give it another spin.

I seriously cannot fathom anyone (who's seen their share of great movies) considering this a truly good film.

But it is a fascinating mess.

The Krypton scenes are inconsistent with their own logic and merely an excuse to show off big visuals and loud noises. Nobody has superpowers on Krypton. Why do we need to see Russell Crowe jumping off sky platforms onto dragons? How can a born scientist whoop the *** of Zod and his genetically engineered soldiers? etc.

The oil rig sequence and everything with child Clark is gold. There's a reason they were the heart of all the trailers:
[ame]https://youtu.be/T6DJcgm3wNY[/ame]

I STILL want to see that movie. That's probably the saddest part since MOS has some of the most exciting and beautifully done trailers in recent memory.

Once Clark gets to the Fortress of Solitude ship, I'm bored out of my ****ing mind. The same can be said about the Daily Planet scenes. Laurence Fishburne is sleepwalking through his part, and for a "great metropolitan newspaper", there's no energy to be found. As a journalism student, I've seen my share of newsrooms. I'll take the 1930's screwball approach Donner chose, any day of the week.

Everyone praises Superman's powers finally being showcased in a believable manner; The effects are good, I'll give them that. But NONE of the action sequences are anything I haven't already seen in THOR or THE AVENGERS. In their big fight scenes, Nam Ek and Zod are literally Hulk clones in Space Jockey armor.

The biggest flaw with this film and trying to make the character "Nolanesque" is that Snyder can't live up to Nolan's storytelling. With the destruction, he claims to want to show what superheroes would be like if they existed. Fine. Groovy. Then show the repercussions. After the battle, show Superman pulling bodies from the rubble and have him scan for survivors. It could only take two minutes. Instead we have an awkward scene of him destroying government property.

Desaturating everything and throwing blue filters on that ***** does not a serious movie make. Instead, MOS offers the ball-numbing action of a Marvel Studios film, without any of the sense of wonder or fun. It offers the gloom and doom of THE DARK KNIGHT, without the technical finesse or compelling human drama. It does have humor, but it's so awkwardly placed and clunky, it feels inappropriate among the colorless carnage.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why Superman just didn't turn back time before the Kryptonian invasion after he broke Zod's neck.

Seems like a no brainer to me. :huh

I still don't understand why Superman just didn't turn back time before the Kryptonian invasion after he broke Zod's neck.

Seems like a no brainer to me. :huh
Seems pretty obvious that this new Superman secretly craves violence, destruction, and murder. Even though he could have done those things you suggest, he wouldn't. That's a Goyer kind of Superman.

I don't even have a problem with Supes breaking Zod's neck. I cheered when it happened. I just wish he did it thirty minutes earlier.

I wish there was a point to it. Other then the obvious one.

I liked when he broke his neck because Zod was so boring and dumb, I was sick of listening to his lame speeches.

Should of pulled a Goku and asked zod to fight him in an unpopulated landscape or space even.

Should of pulled a Goku and asked zod to fight him in an unpopulated landscape or space even.

M81QrvS.gif

moscj.gif

Mhm well, amongst the things I like about the movie are some of the characters, Zod for starters is a brilliant reinvention of the villain, with a purpose that now feels more inexorable than just megalomany, and Shannon's performance completely nails that sense of duty this villain has, it almost makes you feel empathetic about him at times, and that's the thing about villains these days, most of them are not just "evil", evil's a matter of perspective, he's not only bad, he has a duty, and you can feel he's determined to fulfill it, and THAT is more menacing than ever, and when he's stripped from said duty, you can also feel his aimless rage, it was fantastic.

Faora was all about the action and predatory attitude, she made a hell of a henchwoman for Zod, but there's not much I can say about her, both bad nor good.

Pa Kent delivered a heart touching performance portraying a father that in fact had no idea how to deal with his god-like son, I think no shortage of people would find themselves in that same position, but you could tell he really loved him, as much as he was scared of his potential.

Jor-El, also did a great job for the most part, the complaints I have for him are not his fault rather than the writing, we didn't need a "bad ***" Jor El, there didn't need to be a fight between him and Zod, but for what it's worth though, his speeches later on were very inspirational.

Superman himself delivered a good performance with the little lines he was given, and portrayed the energetic essence of the character in moments of jeopardy, while keeping his boy scout farmboy essence, the little lines he was given he delivered a 100% Superman style, he even could voice act Supes on animated movies :lol I hope they give him more material to work with in the next movie, you can tell he can pull of the innocence and charisma characteristics of Superman.

What I like the most about this film is it's approach to the character, they made him have the logic struggle anybody would have if they were in his position, not knowing what his call is, where to fit in, how to fit in, feeling repressed for not being himself, and all that quickly changed at the moment he was set free and made his first flight, that smile was contagious, after that, they gave him a learning curve, he was still not in control of himself, his anger, his visceral reactions, which was a great idea, and obviously the events developed accordingly, which I thought were executed nicely for the most part.

There's a lot more things I like about it, like the representation of Krypton and it's context etc etc, but what I don't like or don't care for:

The jumping around/fighting/badass Jor-El was completely unnecessary, and I dislike the fact that he was able to take down Zod, I mean, how?

The tornado, I mean, there were plenty ways Clark could've saved Pa Kent without being discovered, plenty, all that felt really forced, and it took all the punch away from that scene.

The infamous kiss, ugh, they should have saved that for MoS2, there was no reason for them to kiss right there, it was still less forced than Lois/Clark relationship from the old movies, but still did not feel right, kissing on top of the destruction and the chaos, it was just distasteful.

The scene in the ship where Jor-El guides Lois, everything was so well coordinated, it was a bit ridiculous... and right now, I can't remember anything else...

Pretty much, the good far outweighs the bad, all that makes it the best Superman movie so far for me, I hope that answers your question Chewblacca :D Sorry for the long post :lol

Dr. Mirakle, I see you posted your opinion on the man of steel thread at bluray.com. That's where I was told to stop posting. I'm surprised they did not jump all over you for not liking the movie. You made your point very well. I wish others on that forum could. Liking a movie and not being able to explain why says a lot for the fans and for the movie.

Why didn't people ***** and moan for months after half of NYC was destroyed in The Avengers? :dunno

When an alien race with superpowers comes to destroy ****...it's kind of hard to avoid **** being destroyed.

Dr. Mirakle, I see you posted your opinion on the man of steel thread at bluray.com. That's where I was told to stop posting. I'm surprised they did not jump all over you for not liking the movie. You made your point very well. I wish others on that forum could. Liking a movie and not being able to explain why says a lot for the fans and for the movie.

I saw your posts, they seem to be tired of defending the movie over and over again, so they can't be arsed :lol no conscious person can tell you that they like something and can't tell you why.

I saw your posts, they seem to be tired of defending the movie over and over again, so they can't be arsed :lol no conscious person can tell you that they like something and can't tell you why.

All I wanted was something that they liked about it and why so that I could try and understand. For example, I like the Donner Superman because it brought to life the 70's comic in a fun and exciting way. The John Williams score made the flight scenes breathtaking, and Christopher Reeve was a perfect superman for the role he conveyed the strength of the character and the emotion of someone who had lost everything. The action was breath taking and the origin was fresh and very different. I would reccomend this film to any comic book fan or especially a superman fan.

Back