Mars Toys x Six Feet Lane Studio 1/6 The Penguin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing about the likeness reminds me of the penguin, especially in the eyes/upper face. that is no colin farrell to me. looks more like an asian mob boss than the penguin

View attachment 733330View attachment 733331
View attachment 733332View attachment 733333View attachment 733334
velma-cant-find-her-glasses-velma.gif

Photos from Facebook

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-10-22-05-17-06-124-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-10-22-05-17-06-124-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg
    552.3 KB
  • Screenshot_2024-10-22-08-09-34-648-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-10-22-08-09-34-648-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    632 KB
The more I look at him, the more he is growing on me. I do like the look of having him with Riddler and Batman to be a solid display. We just need Selina.

My two-pack arrived yesterday.

I ordered both because of my desire for completionism, but having them in hand, the truth is that they're similar enough that anyone - including me - should be satisfied with having either one of them. Right now, my display isn't big enough to justify having both, so I've gone with the plaid/checkered suit for display, simply because I've got other pinstripe suited figures in my display, so the checkers make him a bit more unique.

I have to be honest - the sculpt is a real disappointment. (I use the singular because they're both very similar, even if not identical). First, the expression is a bit flat - this could have been a real opportunity to go with two distinct expressions, each with a lot more emotion. Penguin's sneer, Penguin's insincere smile at the club, Penguin's "deer in headlights" look during his interrogation, or a sinister expression of rage, when Falcone is arrested. So many options, all of which were ignored. Each would have worked to fit the classic action figure mold - a true character moment that sets that figure apart as being of that character, while not being so wild, distinct, and particular that it would've limited display options (like the Catwoman licking with her tongue that's being discussed in another thread).

More importantly, let me talk about the eyes. The prototype pics were overall a lot better, especially in the region of the eyes, which featured Colin Farrell's very soulful and expressionistic eyes. They gave this dangerous, ugly, villainous man a bit of humanity and pathos, and without them, this sculpt feels real flat. The likeness also suffers for this - unlike the prototype pics, the in-hand sculpt has much beadier eyes, with a much more pronounced brow ridge.

Maybe I've been watching the "Penguin" show so I've got his image in my mind from multiple recent viewings - but this doesn't look that much like the Penguin in particular to me. The suit...the sculpt with the beady eyes, the scars, and the pronounced ridge...the expression....the nose being a bit less pointed than it should...it all looks like someone else very much in particular instead. Once you see it, I don't think you'll ever unsee it, so I'll put it in spoilers:

This action figure looks like
a Harvey Weinstein action figure.
Which is a bit darkly hilarious but also kind of gross?
I mean, there are comic book villains and then there are real-life villains. There are mobsters and then there are rapists.

Some other notes:

The rings isn't a part of the hand sculpts I don't know if a bit of adhesive was originally applied, but one of mine fell off while swapping hands. It doesn't look like it's just supposed to clip on, so a bit of superglue will be needed in this case. So watch out for falling rings.

The umbrella doesn't open or function, it's just a plastic prop. That was a real disappointment.

The leather coat is fine, but probably could have been better. The belt straps don't hang very nicely in 1/6 scale. The inner sleeves are incomplete like so many 1/6 coats are, so you'll have to be careful putting it on and making sure nothing gets snagged. And I fear for the durability of the pleather-like material in the long run.

The suits and their fabrics are nice, though. I like the inclusion of the suspenders.

The figure stands a wee bit shorter than the other figures, which is good. I'm not sure if it's short enough, but then again, I'm not sure this version of the Penguin was displayed as really being that much shorter onscreen anyhow. Certainly the fatsuit/belly work well on the figure.

You won't see the gold chain or watch, but they're there, and were a nice surprise.

The figure includes plenty of detailed Drops packets, more than necessary, which is never a bad thing (though the stickers were a bit large, so they end up sticking multiple packets together - you'll have to gently tease them apart). Only later, after checking the advertised specs, did I think to open the bag and see that yes, there were in fact a lot of printed packs of money inside, so that was also nice.

Overall, I have to say, this set of figures was a bit of a disappointment, especially given that Mars Toys knocked it out of the park with their recent Tim Burton Batman figures - so we know they can do better. Their competitor, the LCY02 Penguin figures, would have been better options, had they not been cancelled - including functioning umbrellas and better headsculpts with more distinct, emotional expressions. Sadly, without competition, it's the consumer that suffers.

My two-pack arrived yesterday.

I ordered both because of my desire for completionism, but having them in hand, the truth is that they're similar enough that anyone - including me - should be satisfied with having either one of them. Right now, my display isn't big enough to justify having both, so I've gone with the plaid/checkered suit for display, simply because I've got other pinstripe suited figures in my display, so the checkers make him a bit more unique.

I have to be honest - the sculpt is a real disappointment. (I use the singular because they're both very similar, even if not identical). First, the expression is a bit flat - this could have been a real opportunity to go with two distinct expressions, each with a lot more emotion. Penguin's sneer, Penguin's insincere smile at the club, Penguin's "deer in headlights" look during his interrogation, or a sinister expression of rage, when Falcone is arrested. So many options, all of which were ignored. Each would have worked to fit the classic action figure mold - a true character moment that sets that figure apart as being of that character, while not being so wild, distinct, and particular that it would've limited display options (like the Catwoman licking with her tongue that's being discussed in another thread).

More importantly, let me talk about the eyes. The prototype pics were overall a lot better, especially in the region of the eyes, which featured Colin Farrell's very soulful and expressionistic eyes. They gave this dangerous, ugly, villainous man a bit of humanity and pathos, and without them, this sculpt feels real flat. The likeness also suffers for this - unlike the prototype pics, the in-hand sculpt has much beadier eyes, with a much more pronounced brow ridge.

Maybe I've been watching the "Penguin" show so I've got his image in my mind from multiple recent viewings - but this doesn't look that much like the Penguin in particular to me. The suit...the sculpt with the beady eyes, the scars, and the pronounced ridge...the expression....the nose being a bit less pointed than it should...it all looks like someone else very much in particular instead. Once you see it, I don't think you'll ever unsee it, so I'll put it in spoilers:

This action figure looks like
a Harvey Weinstein action figure.
Which is a bit darkly hilarious but also kind of gross?
I mean, there are comic book villains and then there are real-life villains. There are mobsters and then there are rapists.

Some other notes:

The rings isn't a part of the hand sculpts I don't know if a bit of adhesive was originally applied, but one of mine fell off while swapping hands. It doesn't look like it's just supposed to clip on, so a bit of superglue will be needed in this case. So watch out for falling rings.

The umbrella doesn't open or function, it's just a plastic prop. That was a real disappointment.

The leather coat is fine, but probably could have been better. The belt straps don't hang very nicely in 1/6 scale. The inner sleeves are incomplete like so many 1/6 coats are, so you'll have to be careful putting it on and making sure nothing gets snagged. And I fear for the durability of the pleather-like material in the long run.

The suits and their fabrics are nice, though. I like the inclusion of the suspenders.

The figure stands a wee bit shorter than the other figures, which is good. I'm not sure if it's short enough, but then again, I'm not sure this version of the Penguin was displayed as really being that much shorter onscreen anyhow. Certainly the fatsuit/belly work well on the figure.

You won't see the gold chain or watch, but they're there, and were a nice surprise.

The figure includes plenty of detailed Drops packets, more than necessary, which is never a bad thing (though the stickers were a bit large, so they end up sticking multiple packets together - you'll have to gently tease them apart). Only later, after checking the advertised specs, did I think to open the bag and see that yes, there were in fact a lot of printed packs of money inside, so that was also nice.

Overall, I have to say, this set of figures was a bit of a disappointment, especially given that Mars Toys knocked it out of the park with their recent Tim Burton Batman figures - so we know they can do better. Their competitor, the LCY02 Penguin figures, would have been better options, had they not been cancelled - including functioning umbrellas and better headsculpts with more distinct, emotional expressions. Sadly, without competition, it's the consumer that suffers.
To such a detailed review, a couple of photographs could be added

Back