Metal Gear Solid Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is more of a PSA with this post:

As I've been collecting old Metal Gear Solid memorabilia for the the past couple of years, I've been seeing some crazy price increases. In terms of collectible value, there's absolutely NOTHING from this franchise that should be worth over $500 (max). That includes the sorters, or any of the most valuable signed items you can think of. Case in point: the following auction has what appears to be a "sealed" copy of the MGS 1 PAL region Premium Package.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1246899122...rentrq:13d0144c1790a4b715618014ffbeffd6|iid:1

The current bidding has it at $1,575 USD. However, it's important to take note that the PAL Premium Package was never factory sealed! Here's what defunct MGS collector, ViolentSnake (who once coveted the largest MGS collection) had to say about it:

https://forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2105

So, with that said, someone could easily seal a Premium Package in good condition for a resale. Or, the Premium Package from Ebay was bought from a retailer who decided to wrap it up in plastic. Whatever the case, this is the most insane Ebay auction I've seen in years, so I figured I'd bring it to attention. In case someone here is bidding on it, it's really not too late to pull out of the auction. You're essentially paying a prince's ransom for a seal that won't be accepted for VGA grading.

The PAL Limited Edition Premium Package is pretty rare, but it's definitely not as rare as the black and white sorters, or any of the three shareholder editions by comparison (which are sold for much less). This is why it's important to do your homework when considering major purchases or you're just going to be throwing your money away.
Been a lurker for quite some time. Saw this on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/276628908345

Reminded me of your post from years back. So decided to sign up and inform you 🫡

Been a lurker for quite some time. Saw this on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/276628908345

Reminded me of your post from years back. So decided to sign up and inform you 🫡

That's interesting. It may or may not be new, but you'd never know unless you break the seal :pow.

If I were looking for one of these today, I'd just buy an unsealed one in good condition.

I miss having more Metal Gear Items in my collection. Trying to decide what to add, currently it's really only the Inferno Hot Toys Raiden and MGR:R collectors Edition. I wish we had more 1/6 figures, or options that weren't stupid expensive.

I mainly collect game items for MGS, so I tend to prioritize things like the Premium Packages (in which I have most), sealed releases, posters and Konami store specials.

I know this is primarily a 1/6 forum - but, you'd be surprised that most MGS collectors outside of this hobby don't really care for the figures of any scale. I've seen the Medicom and Hot Toys stuff struggle to sell on Yahoo Auctions, and you can even find them relatively cheap sometimes on Mercari. If you do need some figures, I'd search there. I picked up a few Raiden statues last year for "cheap" on Yahoo Auctions compared to the prices on Ebay in the U.S.

I mainly collect game items for MGS, so I tend to prioritize things like the Premium Packages (in which I have most), sealed releases, posters and Konami store specials.

I know this is primarily a 1/6 forum - but, you'd be surprised that most MGS collectors outside of this hobby don't really care for the figures of any scale. I've seen the Medicom and Hot Toys stuff struggle to sell on Yahoo Auctions, and you can even find them relatively cheap sometimes on Mercari. If you do need some figures, I'd search there. I picked up a few Raiden statues last year for "cheap" on Yahoo Auctions compared to the prices on Ebay in the U.S
Very true, you make good points. I have a few searches I am following on Buyee, and Ebay. I'll set some up for Mercari.

Its a weird place right now, as I am hoping with MGS Delta we may get some renewed interest from 3rd Partys to create figures, or even if Konami has some made. Or just other items in general. I cut down my collection over time as I helped pay my wife's way through school.

Very true, you make good points. I have a few searches I am following on Buyee, and Ebay. I'll set some up for Mercari.

Its a weird place right now, as I am hoping with MGS Delta we may get some renewed interest from 3rd Partys to create figures, or even if Konami has some made. Or just other items in general. I cut down my collection over time as I helped pay my wife's way through school.

You should give the proxy service OneMap (aka. FromJapan) a try as well if you haven't already. Their fees are typically cheaper than Buyee and you don't have to pay them for consolidation and protective packaging (which, Buyee charges for). That said, Buyee's sometimes offers really deep discounts on their international shipping and packing services, but that's the only time I'd ever use them.

Konami has always been weird with approvals for MGS figures, and I'm not sure why exactly. There's an upcoming re-release for Figma's MGS 2 Snake, so maybe there's a possibility that they'll expand the lineup.

Mentioning cutting down on your collection, is there anything that you're looking to repurchase? Perhaps I can keep a lookout and give you a heads-up if I find anything.

You should give the proxy service OneMap (aka. FromJapan) a try as well if you haven't already. Their fees are typically cheaper than Buyee and you don't have to pay them for consolidation and protective packaging (which, Buyee charges for). That said, Buyee's sometimes offers really deep discounts on their international shipping and packing services, but that's the only time I'd ever use them.

Konami has always been weird with approvals for MGS figures, and I'm not sure why exactly. There's an upcoming re-release for Figma's MGS 2 Snake, so maybe there's a possibility that they'll expand the lineup.

Mentioning cutting down on your collection, is there anything that you're looking to repurchase? Perhaps I can keep a lookout and give you a heads-up if I find anything.
Oh good to know. I only used them once for a Medicos Store Exclusive.

Possibly. I assumed they would follow suit of Silent Hill 2, which did get 2 official 1/6 figures. Yes, and updated figma Snake is a good sign.
Thank you! I really appreciate that! Currently I am in the throes of deciding what I do want, and what can I fit in the space I have. I am eyeballing a few great deals on Yahoo Japan, hoping I can follow through on them. That said, I am always looking for Ground Zeroes Boss and Raiden. Though I see them come in around 300-400USD which right now is hard to justify on them.

I do want to ask though, for anyone that has the 1/4 Metal Gear Rex. How does it hold up? I found one for a good price and am contemplating it. But they are old, and I am unsure how the joints are fairing.

Back