Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand by my claim that the 1990 film is average at best. It coasts on charm and nostalgia, not the fact that its actually *good.* Compare it to movies based off of comic books, cartoons, or toys that actually *are* good: Superman The Movie, Batman 89, Spider-Man 2002, Spider-Man 2, BB, TDK, TWS, DOFP, Iron Man 1, etc. TMNT 1990 truly is mediocre (at best!) by comparison. It's better than the GI Joe movies, live-action MOTU, and FF, but that's pretty much it.

This trailer is much dopier than anything we've seen from the new movie so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh2u6Cw2clE

giphy.gif

1990 film is average.
It coasts on charm and nostalgia, not the fact that it's actually good.

Compare it to movies based off of comic books that actually are good:
Superman 78, Batman 89, Spider-Man 2002, Iron Man, First Avenger, etc.

Fixed for accuracy :lol
Still hard to criticize that film considering its origin.

Fixed for accuracy :lol
Still hard to criticize that film considering its origin.

They did a good job for what they had. I won't deny that. And I have fond memories of watching it in the theater. But people are carrying on like it was the TDK of turtle movies and suddenly TMNT 2014 is giving us B&R. NO. Watching the two trailers back to back the 1990 film has NOTHING over 2014 except less flare in the costumes (and possibly less Megan Fox if she rubs you the wrong way.) Whereas the 2014 has a bunch of the 1990 stuff (skateboards, corny dialogue) PLUS epic action, better cinematography, awesome visuals, and some surprisingly funny dialogue/delivery. If you hate the costumes, fine. But if that alone is the dealbreaker then I don't think you have the greatest credibility in expressing what is and isn't good, great, or classic when it comes to cinematic narratives. :)

Oh so you hate the new Nick show then? I thought everyone loved it. Well at least you still have four old movies and a bunch of old TV episodes with the old muppet suits to entertain you for years to come.

The new show is great. One of the best TMNT representations.

But its...its...COMPUTER GENERATED. :horror

Joaquin-Phoenix-signs.gif

There's a difference though. Most children's cartoons these days are computer generated but are still designed to look like a cartoon, it just looks like a more polished version of a cartoon. CGI in movies is meant to look like they could exist in real life. :lecture ;)

There's a difference though. Most children's cartoons these days are computer generated but are still designed to look like a cartoon, it just looks like a more polished version of a cartoon. CGI in movies is meant to look like they could exist in real life. :lecture ;)

What so ILM doesn't do realistic CGI anymore? Looks like she's standing in front of a real dude.

xxx_teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mov-jy-3919.jpg

Facial motion capture looks on par with Avatar and Gollum. They look 100% more like living breathing creatures than the rubber suits from the 90's.

Featured-Image9.jpg

^I never said that the designs didn't look real. My criticisnm has always been that I think the designs are too cluttered. ;)

Fair enough. But that really seems to be it. "Costumes are too busy." Okay, if that's the movie's biggest crime then it still looks much better than the old ones. Just sayin'.

What so ILM doesn't do realistic CGI anymore? Looks like she's standing in front of a real dude.

xxx_teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mov-jy-3919.jpg

Facial motion capture looks on par with Avatar and Gollum. They look 100% more like living breathing creatures than the rubber suits from the 90's.

Featured-Image9.jpg

everyone makes fun of the lips. (Even ME) but they explained adding the lips was the only way they could have the turtles talking and not looking super freakish. I Know they still look kind of freaky but they were saying how without lips they look scary.

it still looks much better than the old ones. Just sayin'.

Nostalgia is the key word here though. The 1990's suits were like real life versions of what we saw in the cartoon. As a kid back then it was like seeing your favourite cartoon characters come to life in the real world. You'll never take that feeling away from the older generation of fans. I'm sure the kids of today will feel the same in another twenty years when it's rebooted again.

Dude. You're my hero right now for you last few posts. lol

I love the 90's flick as much as the next guy, but I also understand that this isn't being made for 'us'. We already got our version. So I don't hold this version against the one that came out 24 years ago. IT WAS MADE 24 YEARS AGO for ****s sake. If the 90's movie didn't come out then, and that's the movie that is being released in August, I highly doubt it would get the accolades we bestow upon it.

everyone makes fun of the lips. (Even ME) but they explained adding the lips was the only way they could have the turtles talking and not looking super freakish. I Know they still look kind of freaky but they were saying how without lips they look scary.

It's Mikey the only one with lips? I don't see lips in Leo or Ralph.

Back