MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of people give out about DHL but from my experience they are the best.
And USP for me are the worst.

Good to see he’s arriving today

I haven't had too many DHL deliveries recently. With Sideshow I always select FedEx because I have an account with them that means they don't charge admin fees when they extract the customs charges. DHL don't run that system, so always take their fee along with the customs.

The last DHL delivery I had they phoned before delivery to tell me there would be charges. Years back when I used them for Sideshow the driver used to take cash at the door. That was also the period when Sideshow were despatching from Hong Kong, and 'their guy in Hong Kong' was filling out the customs paperwork in Hong Kong Dollars instead of US dollars. The values were so small that the calculation for R5-D4 meant he didn't incur any charges at all.

Unfortunately Sideshow eventually discovered the error, and future paperwork was filled out correctly. I went back to using FedEx.

I haven't had too many DHL deliveries recently. With Sideshow I always select FedEx because I have an account with them that means they don't charge admin fees when they extract the customs charges. DHL don't run that system, so always take their fee along with the customs.

The last DHL delivery I had they phoned before delivery to tell me there would be charges. Years back when I used them for Sideshow the driver used to take cash at the door. That was also the period when Sideshow were despatching from Hong Kong, and 'their guy in Hong Kong' was filling out the customs paperwork in Hong Kong Dollars instead of US dollars. The values were so small that the calculation for R5-D4 meant he didn't incur any charges at all.

Unfortunately Sideshow eventually discovered the error, and future paperwork was filled out correctly. I went back to using FedEx.
That’s cool to know thanks. I don’t get many FedEx deliveries but good to know for future.

I had issue with Sideshow customs declarations being incorrect and a few of their fab boys attacked me over it but eventually SS listened to the error I was pointing out. God knows how many customers were over charged customs fees because of them.

That’s cool to know thanks. I don’t get many FedEx deliveries but good to know for future.

I had issue with Sideshow customs declarations being incorrect and a few of their fab boys attacked me over it but eventually SS listened to the error I was pointing out. God knows how many customers were over charged customs fees because of them.

FedEx can also be a-holes. It's touch and go whether I want to stick with them or go back to DHL.

I hadn't had a FedEx delivery for a while, and when Sideshow sent the Hot Toys 0-0-0 FedEx emailed me with an invoice to pay for him, saying that I had to pay to facilitate delivery.

From that it appeared they were no longer billing me automatically from my account, so to avoid not getting the parcel I paid the invoice (which also included their fee).

The delivery arrived and a week or so later they billed me automatically for the same delivery (this time without the admin fee).

I've contacted them numerous times by email and through their reporting system, but they've completely ignored every attempt to get through to them. It's hopeless, and I feel they could do this with any delivery - imply non-delivery unless you pay first, and then charge you again afterwards.

At least with DHL I know where I stand. Even though it means there's always going to be fees, it won't be a double charge.

The only thing that evens it out is that FedEx failed to charge anything for the Sideshow Pale Rider delivery. On balance I'm probably not out of pocket, but the fact that FedEx will refuse to communicate creates the feeling you're dealing in vain with a Kafkaesque bureaucracy.

Can't wait to see how the figure look. I didn't buy it cause to me only the heads were good. I'm happy with my custom.
Unknown-34.jpg

I've been contemplating cancelling - he won't really fit in with the rest of my 1/6 collection of Terminators, Robocops and Superhero characters. So unless it comes out shockingly good, exceeding expectations in every department, I think I'll make do with my NECA Macready figures.....

Not terribly impressed with what I’m seeing. Sculpts are okay but the outfit, especially the jacket doesn’t look very good. I didn’t pre-order but the release was on my radar in case it turned out better. Unless more pictures/videos come out making it look better I’ll still be passing.

First impression on opening the shipper was, oh an other crappy Sideshow style box.

First impression on opening the art box was, it looks like a Sideshow figure from 20 years ago. :thud:

So far it's even worse than I feared. The jacket is a joke. An utter disgrace.

The figure doesn't seem to be able to put his arms by his sides, so looks like an old He-Man toy.

IMG_3273.JPG
IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3269.JPG
IMG_3270.JPG
IMG_3271.JPG
IMG_3272.JPG

I took the jacket off, because it's no good to man nor beast (but it might work for a smaller female figure), and managed to get a bit of inward movement with the arms.

But then his legs stick out as well, try to push the thighs together and they spring outwards again. I got more mobility out of VTS's Darkstar Marverick in his pressure suit than I can get from MacReady. :huh

Depending how you want to pose him that may be okay. At least he's pretty stable without a stand. :lol

Can't imagine it's going to be easy using the flamethrower with this body.

So, There's plenty of flaws. The jacket proportions are terrible, and it's way too short at the front. It's hard to pose his arms because of all the jackets. I tried putting the flame in the flamethrower and it made his arms drop because it was too heavy. The blue hoodie is missing, as we already knew. But I'm still pretty happy with it, he looks good. The Kurt Russel headsculpts are great, and the Dog/spider things look great. Hopefully someone makes a new jacket because it would improve the figure a LOT. The Thing is my favorite horror movie so I'm happy to finally have a figure of him.

Back