MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the heads oversized?

Yeah, he’s a big boy.

IMG_3068.jpeg

Remove hair and beard and doesn't seem that big actually.

My initial reaction to the sculpt, along with the painting style, was that it looked like he had a wide face.

I think it is an optical illusion caused by the thickness of the beard as it disappears under the hair, compounded by the volume of the hair itself.

Plus Kurt has a widish face, which runs in the family...

hq720.jpg

I was looking at options to use the MacFrosty sculpt. When you take it out context it becomes a guy with greying hair. Grizzly Adams came to mind so I tried it on my nineteenth century mountain man...

IMG_3511.JPG
IMG_3514.JPG

Makes a change from the Leonardo DiCaprio Hugh Glass head.

I know the iced-up sculpt is very scene-specific but the expression out of context looks so dumb.

It looks dumb in context as well. Both sculpts have odd expressions. MacFrosty looks stunned, while MacRegular looks confused.

They should've gone with something more determined for the prime, and something different for the second sculpt entirely because it doesn't match the outfit.

My initial reaction to the sculpt, along with the painting style, was that it looked like he had a wide face.

I think it is an optical illusion caused by the thickness of the beard as it disappears under the hair, compounded by the volume of the hair itself.

Plus Kurt has a widish face, which runs in the family...

View attachment 720915

I was looking at options to use the MacFrosty sculpt. When you take it out context it becomes a guy with greying hair. Grizzly Adams came to mind so I tried it on my nineteenth century mountain man...

View attachment 720916View attachment 720917

Makes a change from the Leonardo DiCaprio Hugh Glass head.

Looks awesome!

IMG_3072.gif

I watched the film again last night and one thing that stood out was how tight the legs on Mondo's flight suit are. Kurt had them bloused over his boots, but there's not enough material to do that with the figure.

MacReady bloused legs.png

I wondered whether it'd help if he was on a body with less muscular legs, and since a body swap is something I have in mind every time I see the Mondo's weirdly parted legs, I started on it.

Plus the Mondo is too tall for Kurt. According to CelebHeights the best guess was 5' 9 1/4"(11.54" above the boot soles in 1/6).

The new body is a narrow shoulder type with separate neck.

The issues with the swap are:

1) The boots, which we knew about, with their pegs placed so high inside them.

2) Mondo's wrist pegs aren't compatible.

3) The rubber cup inside Mondo sculpts are set deep, and their body has an extra long barbell in the neck to reach it.

I had one extra long neck peg, as used for putting MacFrosty onto the mountain man body, which places the head in almost the same place as it was on the Mondo. I put blue tack inside the sculpt to raise it a little.

I got the pegs out of the boots with pliers after soaking them in boiling water.

I cut the legs down on the narrow shoulder body. This creates a problem because the legs now end at a wider point, and there isn't room for both leg and flight suit inside the boot.

The flight suit hems are elasticated which restricts efforts to blouse over the boots, so I cut the elastic. The looser hems were more easily turned over and folded inside the leg, which allowed them to be pulled over the outside of the boots. There still isn't enough fullness in the material for proper blousing.

IMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3545.JPG

With the boots being non-standard and the legs shortened, I plugged them on with blue tack, adjusting it until he was close to 5' 9 1/4". (He measures 11 1/2" above his boot soles to where I judged the top of his head would be under his hair).

I took the overly long wrist pegs out of the Mondo hands, but the hole inside the hand is about twice the standard size, so I opted to shorten the Mondo pegs instead. Thankfully the diameter of the shortened peg was almost a perfect match for the narrow shoulder body, I say almost because they slot in tight but they'll pull out if you're not careful when moving the hand.

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG

It was hours of fussing about, but now he has legs that work properly; arms that can rest the shotgun on his shoulder; a neck that's straight rather than perpetually jutting forwards; slightly improved flight suit legs; height that matches Kurt, and better proportions

Just unboxed Mac today and overall, I think he looks absolutely fantastic. I was worried about opening him up after seeing some photos posted but I am very impressed.
I think the head sculpt looks great and has an outstanding likeness to Kurt.
I did have a big issue with the jacket however and the body being extremely stiff, the arms especially are a bit of a nightmare as they don’t seem to be able to go all the way down, especially with that jacket on.
He makes for an unreal display piece though, with modifications and what not he would be 100% perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_3719_jpg.jpeg
    IMG_3719_jpg.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
I too am in the Toronto Canada area with the same issue. For the past two days its gone from "Processed for Clearance" to "Clearance Event" to "Shipment on Hold and back to "Clearance Event". I'd love to know what kind of "EVENT" this is where everyone at DHL is clutching their pearls over my parcel.

I actually doubt the parcel is in Canada. Despite the tracking indicating saying it is, DHL even states that the customs clearance can happen before the parcel is in the destination country, so that could simply mean the electronic paperwork has been initiated while the parcel is still in the U.S. I've had this happen before where the customs begins, they send me an invoice, and I make my payment a day or two before the parcel makes it to Canada and before DHL's Canadian customs broker has even seen the waybill. Whatever, I knew this wasn't going to be a 48 hour courier delivery for some of us. Now it's just a waiting game.

But what am I waiting for really? After seeing the various photos here I'm more than disappointed to have purchased this figure. It really does look like complete :poop: and will likely be my biggest collecting regret of this year, or possibly of the past several years. It just looks like a terrible third party figure that went bad at every stage of the various factory fabrications. Nothing fits right or looks correct - it's MacReady dressed in children's clothes. Reminds me of those Mad Max figures (I think they were from Premier Toys) where every part was incorrectly scaled and mish-mashed together into a vague facsimile of what the promo pics showed. Now I'm just hoping this figure looks a little better in-hand than what I'm expecting.

Unfortunately, this Mondo MacReady wasn't priced like a cheap third party figure, so it's hard to defend it as a kitbash kind of project worth customizing. No disrespect to those who did fight the good fight to improve this figure, but I won't be doing any work or adding more cost to make this right. What factory did Mondo send this job to? Was it the same factories that handle Hasbro and Mattel toys?

I'm also in Toronto and I had the exact same issues, I called them Friday and he barley spoke English with a bad phone connection that kept breaking out and then I called the Canadian number and they didn't really help much either

I'm in the same boat, but I'm in the Eastern USA. I don't get this "Clearance Event" crap from DHL

It's insane how different the Mondo DHL delivery experience has been.

Getting him into Europe seemed to be no problem for them - mine was delivered two days after they picked him up in China - yet they can't seem to be able to get an American company's product delivered in a decent time into North America. :huh

Still no invoice for customs charges either, which is very unusual for DHL.

Shhh my friend, DHL may hear you.
It's insane how different the Mondo DHL delivery experience has been.

Getting him into Europe seemed to be no problem for them - mine was delivered two days after they picked him up in China - yet they can't seem to be able to get an American company's product delivered in a decent time into North America. :huh

Still no invoice for customs charges either, which is very unusual for DHL.

Shhh my friend, DHL may hear you.

I'll have to whisper about FedEx as well. They delivered a Threezero Stranger Things figure from Sideshow on 7th August, and haven't asked for any money.

That one was paid for entirely with rewards points, but that never stopped FedEx in the past charging tax on the full retail value.

I watched the film again last night and one thing that stood out was how tight the legs on Mondo's flight suit are. Kurt had them bloused over his boots, but there's not enough material to do that with the figure.

View attachment 720942

I wondered whether it'd help if he was on a body with less muscular legs, and since a body swap is something I have in mind every time I see the Mondo's weirdly parted legs, I started on it.

Plus the Mondo is too tall for Kurt. According to CelebHeights the best guess was 5' 9 1/4"(11.54" above the boot soles in 1/6).

The new body is a narrow shoulder type with separate neck.

The issues with the swap are:

1) The boots, which we knew about, with their pegs placed so high inside them.

2) Mondo's wrist pegs aren't compatible.

3) The rubber cup inside Mondo sculpts are set deep, and their body has an extra long barbell in the neck to reach it.

I had one extra long neck peg, as used for putting MacFrosty onto the mountain man body, which places the head in almost the same place as it was on the Mondo. I put blue tack inside the sculpt to raise it a little.

I got the pegs out of the boots with pliers after soaking them in boiling water.

I cut the legs down on the narrow shoulder body. This creates a problem because the legs now end at a wider point, and there isn't room for both leg and flight suit inside the boot.

The flight suit hems are elasticated which restricts efforts to blouse over the boots, so I cut the elastic. The looser hems were more easily turned over and folded inside the leg, which allowed them to be pulled over the outside of the boots. There still isn't enough fullness in the material for proper blousing.

View attachment 720979View attachment 720980

With the boots being non-standard and the legs shortened, I plugged them on with blue tack, adjusting it until he was close to 5' 9 1/4". (He measures 11 1/2" above his boot soles to where I judged the top of his head would be under his hair).

I took the overly long wrist pegs out of the Mondo hands, but the hole inside the hand is about twice the standard size, so I opted to shorten the Mondo pegs instead. Thankfully the diameter of the shortened peg was almost a perfect match for the narrow shoulder body, I say almost because they slot in tight but they'll pull out if you're not careful when moving the hand.

View attachment 720976

View attachment 720977View attachment 720978

It was hours of fussing about, but now he has legs that work properly; arms that can rest the shotgun on his shoulder; a neck that's straight rather than perpetually jutting forwards; slightly improved flight suit legs; height that matches Kurt, and better proportions
Your commitment to detail and making improvements is impressive, you Inspire others. Thank you my friend

Back