MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my 4th clearance event- Ridiculous!
:LOL:
1724356611667.gif

Went down a bit of a rabbit hole and realised the head sculpt looks like it was done by seandabbs and painted by viola_witrocka Apologies if this has been brought up before.

But yeah, seeing these posts and she mentions receiving the figure from mondo. Curious to see why they went with 2 open mouth expressions. Still like this guy to be honest. Can’t wait to kit him up with more accurate mods

Went down a bit of a rabbit hole and realised the head sculpt looks like it was done by seandabbs and painted by viola_witrocka Apologies if this has been brought up before.

But yeah, seeing these posts and she mentions receiving the figure from mondo. Curious to see why they went with 2 open mouth expressions. Still like this guy to be honest. Can’t wait to kit him up with more accurate mods

DAMN - that looks AWESOME!

Mine finally arrived a couple of hours ago. Now to open it up and see just how much of a pile of :poop: this "thing" really is.
looking at the pics above, it doesn't look like a pile of dung. I'd say the body itself is probably the biggest crap on it

I'm still finding this figure problematic.

He's a solitary figure representing the film, which means he carries a lot of weight on his shoulders.

Yet, I just can't see enough Kurt Russell in the sculpt sitting on those shoulders. He might be in there, but the paint isn't letting him out - like those old Trevor Grove sculpts once Sideshow had their factory slap paint on them.

I keep trying different things. Went back to the waist grabber since it works much better with the new body, and it also helps to shape the waist of the jacket.

I'm happy with the shortened narrow shoulder body and the fit of the jacket, and the flight suit legs are the best I think I'll manage to get them. But the sculpt is so bland, both in paint and expression, that it holds the figure back. The issue may be more the vacant expression more than paint.

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

I didn't deem him worthy of his place inside the cabinet, so put him on top of it.

IMG_3657.JPG

I'm still finding this figure problematic.

He's a solitary figure representing the film, which means he carries a lot of weight on his shoulders.

Yet, I just can't see enough Kurt Russell in the sculpt sitting on those shoulders. He might be in there, but the paint isn't letting him out - like those old Trevor Grove sculpts once Sideshow had their factory slap paint on them.

I keep trying different things. Went back to the waist grabber since it works much better with the new body, and it also helps to shape the waist of the jacket.

I'm happy with the shortened narrow shoulder body and the fit of the jacket, and the flight suit legs are the best I think I'll manage to get them. But the sculpt is so bland, both in paint and expression, that it holds the figure back. The issue may be more the vacant expression more than paint.

View attachment 721802

I didn't deem him worthy of his place inside the cabinet, so put him on top of it.
@Asta i think this picture and mods you made are great. Sure the paintjob is not HTs but its decent and I totally see Kurt in there.

Its a 235$ figure with license, shipping included with no monsters. Its their first clothed figure and I see a Kurt in there. I see a Kaustic Plastik level a few years ago. I am sure they will improve and theyve done a good effort, not perfect but Ive seen other companies like Asmus give as crappy figures like their Evil Dead Ash. Its a good figure for some custom work but I understand those that want to open the box and pose it with no changes.

@Asta i think this picture and mods you made are great. Sure the paintjob is not HTs but its decent and I totally see Kurt in there.

I wish I could see more of Kurt in there.

He looks a bit better placed higher up due to the lighting. Every time I go into the room I hope to see MacReady, but instead I mostly just see a generic beardy guy. I've had a lot of figures recently that have a 'feel good' factor whenever I look at them, but Mondo MacReady leaves me with nothing.

The Thing is such a good film, but the figure does it no justice, because the head is so bland. It's akin to putting a twenty year old Sideshow sculpt, a Disney Premium or a Crazy Toys sculpt on a Hot Toys figure. It brings the whole thing down.

I wish I could see more of Kurt in there.

He looks a bit better placed higher up due to the lighting. Every time I go into the room I hope to see MacReady, but instead I mostly just see a generic beardy guy. I've had a lot of figures recently that have a 'feel good' factor whenever I look at them, but Mondo MacReady leaves me with nothing.

The Thing is such a good film, but the figure does it no justice, because the head is so bland. It's akin to putting a twenty year old Sideshow sculpt, a Disney Premium or a Crazy Toys sculpt on a Hot Toys figure. It brings the whole thing down.
Maybe Sean and V will make higher end heads to order through them. I am waiting on my Snake custom head to replace the Sideshow head sculpt. Maybe we get a better Jack Burton Head as well.

Maybe Sean and V will make higher end heads to order through them. I am waiting on my Snake custom head to replace the Sideshow head sculpt. Maybe we get a better Jack Burton Head as well.

Even if Mondo had supplied a sculpt to the level of Sideshow's Snake I'd probably be a lot happier with the figure: finer hair sculpt, determined expression and a more natural paint finish.

To make the figure bearable I've turned him more side on, and turned his head away.

I'm certainly curious to see how he looks next to my Snake and Jack. Could make or break him for me.

I'll share whenever DHL figures out what it's doing with my figure.

Sideshow's Snake doesn't hold up well to photography, but overall it's always worked for me. Sideshow only had one eye to mess up, and they gave him an expression that suited the character.

Asmus' Hangman is the most detailed, but it's an older Kurt with age lines.

From the moment I pulled the Mondo sculpts from the box I was put off. The paint is shinier and flatter, hence the original vintage Sideshow comparisons, and the expression is very weak. He's daydreaming, lifeless like a mannequin, or doing his best stunned Mark Hamill after watching The Last Jedi.

IMG_3659.JPG
IMG_3666.JPG

Sideshow's Snake doesn't hold up well to photography, but overall it's always worked for me. Sideshow only had one eye to mess up, and they gave him an expression that suited the character.

Asmus' Hangman is the most detailed, but it's an older Kurt with age lines.

From the moment I pulled the Mondo sculpts from the box I was put off. The paint is shinier and flatter, hence the original vintage Sideshow comparisons, and the expression is very weak. He's daydreaming, lifeless like a mannequin, or doing his best stunned Mark Hamill after watching The Last Jedi.

View attachment 721837View attachment 721838

One of our members here ( @Raymond F. ) repainted my Snake - made a WORLD of difference.

He also did a great job of weathering the jacket & trousers.

Shipment to Italy was very quick. I was away for the holidays so I just picked it up from a DHL service point. Like Asta mentioned, no trace of customs, it must have been taken care of at the origin, which is very unusual. By the way, it's the opposite here. DHL is miles better than Fedex.

I was prepared for the worst, after reading the thread and seeing pictures on facebook. I was gladly surprised that it doesn't suck all that much in hand.

I'll definitely swap the body, is AT011 a good match?

And by the way: what's the deal with the pearlescent zips??? What were they thinking...

Back